U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2017, 12:34 PM
 
278 posts, read 297,516 times
Reputation: 154

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Yes, my 'passion' for Greenville has blinded me. In other words, I was skeptical about something you said.
Well, no, that's demonstrably untrue seeing as how you just replied to my first post in the thread. You couldn't have been skeptical about something I said before I said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I think that most of the bands that you are talking about don't have a strong following. If they aren't playing in Greenville, they aren't playing in a lot of places.
Absolute nonsense. Again, the Orange Peel has a capacity just of over 1,000. Shows there frequently sell out, proving that the bands and venue have a draw. If you don't think a venue with a capacity of 1,000 is of any consequence but are crowing about Greenville's music venues, you're 100% limiting yourself to theaters, amphitheaters, and arenas.

Bands who play The Orange Peel but don't play in Greenville "aren't playing in a lot of places"...?!

Take a band like...oh, I don't know, Car Seat Headrest, who are playing The Orange Peel next month. Their current tour has taken/is taking them to New Orleans, Amsterdam, Brussels, across Germany, Zurich, Paris, London, Manchester, Glasgow, Leeds, Dublin, Coachella, L.A., Atlanta, Boston, DC, NYC, Mountain View, Cleveland, and Montreal. Does that fit your definition of "not playing in a lot of places"?

How about The Old 97s? Along with Asheville, this tour includes stops at Nashville, Louisville, Birmingham, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago, Cleveland, Philly, Las Vegas, the L.A. area, San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, and DC. But, y'know, they're not playing Greenville, so absolutely none of that counts.

It's the same story for basically every touring act that comes through The Orange Peel, along with other venues in the area like The Grey Eagle.

The Spinning Jenny in Greenville, as wonderful as it is, tops out at 300. Gottrocks is in that same league with a capacity of 250. The Peace Concert Hall has a capacity of 2,100. Depending on the configuration, Bons Secour can accommodate more than 15,000. If a band can sell, say, 800-1,200 tickets, where in Greenville would they play? Greenville can't currently accommodate much in the way of mid-size acts. Like I said earlier too, it wouldn't be a simple story even if there were venues along those lines, but the fact of the matter is that there really aren't any right now.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-17-2017 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
4,062 posts, read 1,676,538 times
Reputation: 1402
Ok, so you are saying the free market has passed up on guaranteed big money in the Greenville market in the live music sector. That doesn't seem likely to me but that is no doubt because I'm a homer.

The cities that you listed have much larger populations than Greenville. You left out all the cities that they didn't play in which is going to back up my point. If a band is playing in a metro like Greensboro all the time but not in Greenville, I could see there might be an issue with Greenville.

Both Columbia and Charleston have large universities in their downtown areas, and Asheville is a unique touristy town. i don't think it makes sense to think Greenville should have a similar live music scene as these places. Greenville does get a lot of acts, at the Peace Center, the arena, and amphitheater, and the other places, plus at all the various festivals. Obivously not every niche band out there is going to play in Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 12:50 PM
 
278 posts, read 297,516 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, so you are saying the free market has passed up on guaranteed big money in the Greenville market in the live music sector.
No, what I'm saying is that there isn't guaranteed big money in the Greenville market in the live music sector. I cannot fathom how you could read what I've written and come away with the conclusion you have. This really isn't a productive conversation, so I guess I'll just step away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
4,062 posts, read 1,676,538 times
Reputation: 1402
Ok, I thought your point was these are hugely popular bands, high demand, and it only the fault of Greenville,, no suitable venues, that they don't come to Greenville.

My point is a popular band, which wants to make money, would find a way to do a show in Greenville, if there is a market.

Also, given I have seen numerous people on say the problem is a lack of venue, it seems like the free market would have delivered several suitable venues for live music by now. The lack of venues indicates perhaps people in the business don't really think there is a huge market for live music here, at least for the bands that you have mentioned.

I can't understand for the life of me how you construed by comments as being due to homerism. It seems like some of the live music fans on here get defensive if I point out maybe these bands aren't that popular, especially among 30 plus crowd.

Last edited by Simpsonvilllian; 05-17-2017 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,595 posts, read 4,085,042 times
Reputation: 3220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I think that most of the bands that you are talking about don't have a strong following. If they aren't playing in Greenville, they aren't playing in a lot of places. Greenville is the largest MSA in the 23rd most populated state, so in my view, it is on the band if they can't put on a show here.
I am not sure where you get the mindset that bands who aren't playing Greenville must not be playing many other places. It is in fact the exact inverse. They don't typically stop here because they have plenty of other stops, even in smaller areas like WS, Greensboro, Athens, etc. that they go to (if you want to exclude the larger cities they stop in).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 01:33 PM
 
278 posts, read 297,516 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Also, given I have seen numerous people on say the problem is a lack of venue, it seems like the free market would have delivered several suitable venues for live music by now.
I've heard a couple of times that the idea has been explored by the owners of high-ish-profile venues in other cities, but downtown Greenville's noise ordinances make it impossible, and if they can't be in/near downtown, they're not interested. Even with where The Handlebar was, they struggled against noise ordinances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I can't understand for the life of me how you construed by comments as being due to homerism.
Well, you're dismissive of anyone who complains about the roads, you're dismissive of anyone who points out the shortcomings in Greenville's music scene...it seems like a reasonable assumption to make. With all due respect, you don't even seem to be reading what jamiecta and I have posted.

Like I said earlier, I love Greenville. There is nowhere I'd rather live than here. I'm not even all that rankled by the fact that I have to drive an hour or two each way to see my favorite bands perform live. I do very much take issue with the idea that venues like The Orange Peel don't matter, that if a band isn't performing in front of thousands of people that they're of no consequence, and that bands that don't play Greenville must not be playing much of anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
It seems like some of the live music fans on here get defensive if I point out maybe these bands aren't that popular, especially among 30 plus crowd.
A band who can sell 1,000 tickets to one show is popular. Not as popular as a band who can sell 10,000 tickets to one show, obviously, but popular just the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
4,062 posts, read 1,676,538 times
Reputation: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I've heard a couple of times that the idea has been explored by the owners of high-ish-profile venues in other cities, but downtown Greenville's noise ordinances make it impossible, and if they can't be in/near downtown, they're not interested. Even with where The Handlebar was, they struggled against noise ordinances.

Well, you're dismissive of anyone who complains about the roads, you're dismissive of anyone who points out the shortcomings in Greenville's music scene...it seems like a reasonable assumption to make. With all due respect, you don't even seem to be reading what jamiecta and I have posted.

Like I said earlier, I love Greenville. There is nowhere I'd rather live than here. I'm not even all that rankled by the fact that I have to drive an hour or two each way to see my favorite bands perform live. I do very much take issue with the idea that venues like The Orange Peel don't matter, that if a band isn't performing in front of thousands of people that they're of no consequence, and that bands that don't play Greenville must not be playing much of anywhere.


A band who can sell 1,000 tickets to one show is popular. Not as popular as a band who can sell 10,000 tickets to one show, obviously, but popular just the same.
No, I'm dimissive of people who say that driving down a road like Roper Mountain Road is a white knuckle experience, to the point that they must swerve off the road to miss a gigantic pothole and ride on the grassy shoulder of the road, and that they sit in gridlocked intersections in Greenville regardless of the time of day, and similar things. I don't have an obligation to validate experiences that people claim to have in Greenville if they aren't my experiences and are in total contradiction with my experiences.


It is obvious that you don't actually read my posts or you can't handle a different of opinion from yours. I have never at any point said every road in Greenville is perfect.

I do not care if you like Greenville or not. Your assumption seems to be that I do care. I never even stated or believed that you don't like Greenville. You are making my comments about live music in Greenville about you. It isn't about you. I simply expressed an opinion about the live music market in Greenville.

I dont' think a band that is routinely doing 1000 person shows is that popular. And there just can't be that money in that for both the venues and the bands because the money has to be split up a ton of ways and they can only charge the audience so much. That's my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 01:47 PM
 
278 posts, read 297,516 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I do not care if you like Greenville or not. Your assumption seems to be that I do care. I never even stated or believed that you don't like Greenville. You are making my comments about live music in Greenville about you. It isn't about you.
Yeah, that's not happening at all. This is fruitless, so I really will stop now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
4,062 posts, read 1,676,538 times
Reputation: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I am not sure where you get the mindset that bands who aren't playing Greenville must not be playing many other places. It is in fact the exact inverse. They don't typically stop here because they have plenty of other stops, even in smaller areas like WS, Greensboro, Athens, etc. that they go to (if you want to exclude the larger cities they stop in).
Athens, Greensboro, WS have more college students than Greenville. They are different markets for live music. Live music is generally more popular among young people.

I never said that bands aren't playing in other places. Greenville is a large market compared to most of the metroes in this country so it doesn't seem to me a band is that popular if they don't do a show here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
4,062 posts, read 1,676,538 times
Reputation: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Yeah, that's not happening at all. This is fruitless, so I really will stop now.
I agree it is fruitless. I do not understand why you charged me with saying or implying you don't like Greenville. The thought did not occur to me. It is odd that you are putting thoughts into my head that I didn't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top