Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 01:51 PM

453 posts, read 646,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I do not understand why you charged me with saying you don't like Greenville.
I never said or even suggested that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 01:53 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post

Like I said earlier, I love Greenville.
This statement implies that you think that I thought you did not 'love' Greenville, and that I care if you don't love Greenville.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
This statement implies that you think that I thought you did not 'love' Greenville, and that I care if you don't love Greenville.
No, it doesn't.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:55 PM

Ok you also called me a homer which also supports my interpretation, not to mention it was a dishonest characterization of my comments on other things like the roads.

anyway, i should not even express an opinion on live music and I broke my own policy of not talking about something Asheville related.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:01 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I'm not sure saying "hey, Blues Traveler played Furman sixteen years ago!" ...
BT played in Simpsonville in 2014.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
BT played in Simpsonville in 2014.
D'oh! I'm sorry about that. I did a search beforehand, but my Google-Fu must not be as strong as I thought it was.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:34 PM

4,231 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Athens, Greensboro, WS have more college students than Greenville. They are different markets for live music. Live music is generally more popular among young people.
I agree with you 100% that those cities get more stops because of having college students etc. You're just backing up my point that Greenville has not been on touring bands' radars for a while. Not because Greenville is a bad city - it's a really good city. There are just other outside factors that have made it not great in this *one* aspect (drawing touring bands)

Quote:
I never said that bands aren't playing in other places. Greenville is a large market compared to most of the metroes in this country so it doesn't seem to me a band is that popular if they don't do a show here.
You said this exact thing:

"I think that most of the bands that you are talking about don't have a strong following. If they aren't playing in Greenville, they aren't playing in a lot of places."

But instead, it's the opposite: those were mostly major, billboard charting bands with large followings, grammys, etc. and they aren't stopping in Greenville regularly because they are already playing a lot of surrounding cities that Greenville has to fight with to get shows (because, as you have already pointed out yourself: the other cities are bigger, because they have colleges and thus more likely concert-goers etc.).

It kind of seems like you're arguing two opposing things: 1) 'Don't compare Greenville to other surrounding cities - it's not fair because of course there is better live music in bigger cities (charlotte, atlanta, etc.) and cities with college students (athens, asheville, gboro, winston, etc.).' But at the same time you're arguing 2) 'those bands that are playing the other cities but not Greenville must not be very popular, because Greenville is big enough to pull anyone who actually has any sort of real following' Those are fairly opposing statements

Unfortunately live shows for a band on tour are kind of a limited, set quantity. It's not like opening a cheescake factory or a cabela's or anthropolgie, where you just build a new one if the demand is there. Bands tour X amount of days of the year. And they only stop so many places in a certain geographical area. So, they might stop 3/4 places in NC/SC/GA on a tour. And all of these cities are fighting for those stops. As I stated before, you often have to 'win' or 'steal' bands from surrounding cities on a tour - it's a bit of a zero sum game. If a band plans 4 stops in GA/SC/NC total then a show in Greenville basically means they aren't stopping somewhere else. And they have so many choices ahead of Greenville with more proven concert-goers it's tough for Greenville to steal from another city.

It says nothing bad about the city of Greenville, and absolutely doesn't mean a band isn't big enough, it just is a fact of the matter.

Last edited by Sunbather; 05-17-2017 at 04:38 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I agree with you 100% that those cities get more stops because of having college students etc. You're just backing up my point that Greenville has not been on touring bands' radars for a while. Not because Greenville is a bad city - it's a really good city. There are just other outside factors that have made it not great in this *one* aspect (drawing touring bands)

You said this exact thing:

"I think that most of the bands that you are talking about don't have a strong following. If they aren't playing in Greenville, they aren't playing in a lot of places."

But instead, it's the opposite: those were mostly major, billboard charting bands with large followings, grammys, etc. and they aren't stopping in Greenville regularly because they are already playing a lot of surrounding cities that Greenville has to fight with to get shows (because, as you have already pointed out yourself: the other cities are bigger, because they have colleges and thus more likely concert-goers etc.).

It kind of seems like you're arguing two opposing things: 1) 'Don't compare Greenville to other surrounding cities - it's not fair because of course there is better live music in bigger cities (charlotte, atlanta, etc.) and cities with college students (athens, asheville, gboro, winston, etc.).' But at the same time you're arguing 2) 'those bands that are playing the other cities but not Greenville must not be very popular, because Greenville is big enough to pull anyone who actually has any sort of real following' Those are fairly opposing statements

Unfortunately live shows for a band on tour are kind of a limited, set quantity. It's not like opening a cheescake factory or a cabela's or anthropolgie, where you just build a new one if the demand is there. Bands tour X amount of days of the year. And they only stop so many places in a certain geographical area. So, they might stop 3/4 places in NC/SC/GA on a tour. And all of these cities are fighting for those stops. As I stated before, you often have to 'win' or 'steal' bands from surrounding cities on a tour - it's a bit of a zero sum game. If a band plans 4 stops in GA/SC/NC total then a show in Greenville basically means they aren't stopping somewhere else. And they have so many choices ahead of Greenville with more proven concert-goers it's tough for Greenville to steal from another city.

It says nothing bad about the city of Greenville, and absolutely doesn't mean a band isn't big enough, it just is a fact of the matter.
I'm not interested in arguing with a person currently living in Dallas about Greenville's music scene. I think Greenville has a decent music scene, you disagree. This has been established in previous interactions. It is ok if you don't think Greenville has a music scene. I'm only stating my opinions.

My point is Greenville should be compared to similar metros, not to large cities and college towns and tourist towns, and these are the towns you listed. I don't see what is controversial about this. Most of the towns in the south near Greenville have large colleges in their downtown areas. Raleigh, Columbia, Charleston, Athens, Atlanta, Knoxville, Charlotte etc.

The bands that you guys have listed aren't that popular. That doesn't mean they are bad bands, it just they are a niche genre. I think that is you surveyed Americans on those bands, 99 plus percent could not name a single song by many of those bands. Even a band like Blues Traveler only had limited commercial success because most of their songs are so harmonica centric.

My point is Greenville does have a lot of more mainstream acts come to town. I am sure Greenville gets more popular acts on a regular basis than Asheville and Athens. So there is a tradeoff. I'd rather live somewhere that attracts more mainstream bands than a place that attracts more niche groups.

I'm not against a music venue like Orange Peel opening up in Greenville. What's the issue? I hope this new venue does well.

Btw, the Heritage Park Amphitheater in Simpsonville is the 4th largest outdoor venue in the Carolinas and Georgia if I am not mistaken. I don't think some of these cities that Greenville is compared to have an outdoor venue like this. Black Keys, Mumford & Sons, Darius Rucker, etc have played this venue in recent years.

I understand bands don't play every city on a tour. For example, Pearl Jam last year played in Greenville and Columbia, but not in Charleston and I don't think they had anything planned for Asheville. When is the last time Pearl Jam had a hit song? Their prime as a band was back in the mid 90s yet they still can do an arena show in Greenville.

Bon Jovi recently kicked off their tour in Greenville at the arena, and I think they've only had 1 hit since the 1980s, and that was back in 2000 or so.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-17-2017 at 07:00 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
BTW, I saw on the new venues Facebook they are open to suggestions of bands that you'd like to see. Head over there and give them some good ideas

Old 06-24-2018, 12:29 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
So, just curious, what do you guys think of the new Firmament in GVL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area