U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 AM

10,877 posts, read 23,713,242 times

Advertisements

I know many have expressed interest in this and have asked for something like the Orange Peel in Asheville. Well, here it is:

Greenville's getting a music venue!*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 08:09 AM

2,615 posts, read 4,176,481 times
I'll be curious to see how this does and what kind of acts they focus on. Multiple times while living in Greenville I considered putting money into opening a venue as the lack of venues and tour stops for a lot of bands was noticeable in my time there(even when the Handlebar existed and much more so now I'm sure). So I'm glad someone is pursuing this, even if not downtown!

Good luck to them. I'll have to keep my eye on it when I'm back in town visiting friends.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:40 AM

495 posts, read 566,746 times
COOL! I love some live music.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:09 AM

10,877 posts, read 23,713,242 times
I hope this works out. It will all depend on the acts they bring in. The person who is opening the venue is the person who scheduled the acts for the Handlebar. I just hope that there will be more variety and what people are looking for. This can be a good thing

Old 05-16-2017, 01:43 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,409,329 times
I wish it wasn't going to be on Woodruff. I hate battling the traffic over there. Would much prefer a location near downtown or out on Laurens Road (wouldn't real estate be cheaper over there?).

Old 05-16-2017, 03:15 PM

814 posts, read 1,107,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I wish it wasn't going to be on Woodruff. I hate battling the traffic over there. Would much prefer a location near downtown or out on Laurens Road (wouldn't real estate be cheaper over there?).
It's not on Woodruff it's in the area and you actually would use Lauren's and the Market Point Connector to get there. It's a lot closer than going to other cities for shows that size and keeps the money in our community

Old 05-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Status: "chasing waterfalls in Waterfall City" (set 15 days ago)

4,429 posts, read 1,896,110 times
Looking over the Orange Peel's upcoming shows, it is difficult to believe Greenville can't land most of those acts now. There are several tribute bands on there.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:39 PM

40 posts, read 27,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Looking over the Orange Peel's upcoming shows, it is difficult to believe Greenville can't land most of those acts now. There are several tribute bands on there.
Don't care about the tribute bands. But the Orange Peel gets some pretty big names. Warpaint, Portugal. The Man, Phantogram, Steve Earle and Dinosaur Jr. are on that list. As much as I loved The Handlebar, they mostly focused on indie and NPR style artists (which were great, don't get me wrong).

I'm a bit biased being an Alternative Rock fan but things come to the Orange Peel regularly that I'd absolutely love to have here in Greenville. The Filmore in Charlotte is even more up my alley. Being married with kids does not lend itself well to hour+ drives to concerts.

Don't have my hopes too high for this though. I'd love to be wrong.

X98.5 has been doing better lately in the market so perhaps they can hook up some concerts there. Before it went under, Silversun Pickups and Fitz and the Tantrums both played at the Handlebar sponsored by X.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Status: "chasing waterfalls in Waterfall City" (set 15 days ago)

4,429 posts, read 1,896,110 times
I have never head of any of those bands. Are these newish bands?

Old 05-16-2017, 04:01 PM

40 posts, read 27,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I have never head of any of those bands. Are these newish bands?
Steve Earle isn't new. Well known rock/country singer-songwriter going back to the 1970s. And Dinosaur Jr., an alternative rock band, goes back to the 90s.

The others are newer alternative bands that get regular airplay on stations like X98.5. And the Orange Peel gets a lot of stuff like that.

Again, I'm a bit biased due to my musical taste, but they're well know for the genres they're in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area