U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 AM

4 posts, read 876 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

CT guy here (yes, another one ) looking to relocate south. I've been considering Charlotte/Asheville, NC area. (I've visited those places several times and like them). I'd like to hear from you about the Greenville, SC area (the pros and cons). I'm a licensed professional counselor, 40yo male, who wants to escape the fast, stressful, expensive, icy life up here. I know it would make sense to have a job lined up, but the focus is really hearing from you about the area. Things like weather, traffic, social climate and interaction, lifestyle, affordability, access to resources like hospitals, doctors, police/fire, etc, and anything else you care to share (again, both good and not good). I probably wouldn't want to buy anything and rather rent a condo, townhome, loft, etc. Seems like the area is reasonably located to Charlotte, Asheville, Atlanta, and the SC beaches (all are pluses). Some things I like to do are hiking, running, mountains over beaches, road trips. If I am missing any information here, please feel free to ask questions/clarification. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 07:26 AM

1,053 posts, read 2,233,717 times
Hi Pannese....
It's so hard to make recommendations for people because we are each so different in terms of what we like and dislike. I'll give it a shot in the dark for you since other than outdoor activities, I'm not sure what is important to your lifestyle.

Pros:
Greenville feels relatively "safe" to me compared to places like Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, etc..
Use your common sense and big city instincts to stay away from pockets of crime and you should be fine.

It's a beautiful area with 4 full seasons and a generally mild climate. Other than summer humidity, it's a pretty comfortable area in which to enjoy sports like hiking, biking, running, tennis and golf all 4 seasons.

Cost of living seems favorable to me but it's been a long while since I've lived anywhere other than Upstate SC. you can run the numbers with an on-line calculator.

I think it has gotten a great deal easier to live a healthy lifestyle in this area with nice produce and grocery markets and workout centers.

Cons:

Not sure if you are brining a relationship with you but the friends who have moved out of the area say it is not great for singles. That may have or be changing.

Employment: as with any area, there are specific opportunities and challenges. I would at least do a little research to see average pay rate for counselors. The wage gap in this area is stunning for some who relocate.

Politics and religious: I've had friends who relocated here complain about running into ultra-conservative, in your face political and religious people. I'm a native so perhaps I'm immune to it but I think we tend to find our "tribe" wherever we go. I'm a socially liberal former Baptist who attends Catholic Mass regularly. I'm not what many consider mainstream for SC and I live a great life with lots of friends holding a wide range of beliefs.

I think the pros outweigh the cons and Greenville is worth checking out but that is without knowing much about your lifestyle. I'd def recommend using the search tool for this forum and read posts from other CT transplants before and after relo for better insight.

Welcome and may you land in the perfect place.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:57 AM

3,422 posts, read 4,509,552 times
Best advice...take some time and search the forum. Many of your questions have been answered time and time again.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:43 AM

123 posts, read 55,935 times
I grew up in CT, but made a side trip to FL for 30 years. I visit friends and family in CT often enough to keep a feel for it. When we left FL, we knew we couldn't go back to CT, for the reasons you mention. Greenville wasn't even on our radar, but totally won out once we visited. As mentioned, the climate was a big plus- about ideal for us. Cost of living is very low, as are comparable wages. Still, we live better here than CT or FL. What I like best is living out in the country, close to the mountains (Travelers Rest), yet only being 15 miles from a nice small city (Greenville).

Although the area can be very conservative, downtown Greenville has a much more cosmopolitan vibe. I was at Artisphere last weekend, and it's a whole different world than out where we live. Asheville is quite progressive, a bit too much so for my liking. Fun place to visit, though. The area is very religious, again, more so out in the country, but I haven't been 'accosted' by any religious fanatics. Churches are the main social venue out in the country, so it comes up in conversation, but no one has tried to convert me to anything.

I think that to make such a big decision, you should spend some time in the various cities you are interested in- several visits, if possible.

Old Today, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 876 times
Thank you all for your responses. I hope I didn't come across as a snobby, northerner or wanting "the perfect" place to live. No matter where we are in our journey, there will always be something negative...it's what we do to change that, and even that is a choice. I've visited the NC/SC area in August, September, and November. August and September heat/humidity was the same here in CT at that time. November was similar to early to med September here. For me, a shorter winter and longer summer (so to speak) is much preferred to the opposite. Again, thanks all for your input and I will make the Greenville area part of my next trip south.

Old Today, 06:15 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,343,990 times
Is there something that you don't like about Charlotte or Asheville? You said that a pro for Greenville is it is close to Charlotte and Asheville so why not move to those one of those cities. Obviously Asheville has the hiking opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area