Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:12 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,111 times

Advertisements

You guys are uniquely positioned geographically to compare best products between these three food markets once the first Lidl stores in the US open. I started a thread a while back about best products at TJs. I hinted to others to start a comparative thread but since no one else did it, here goes.

Once you experience Lidl, compare and list the BEST products from each of these three markets specifically.

I've found some terrific new items at TJs due to the input on the other thread. I'm looking forward to this one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 09:00 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,273,529 times
Since no one has posted yet, I'll give a quick shot. I've heard and tasted firsthand (I'm no wine connoisseur) that Aldi's Winking Owl wine is the best bang for your buck wine out there. It's around $3 and I'm sure it's better than the competition from what I've read and heard. I wonder what Trader Joes or Lidl's branded wine is (if they have any) and how it compares?

Old 06-12-2017, 01:43 AM

387 posts, read 331,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Since no one has posted yet, I'll give a quick shot. I've heard and tasted firsthand (I'm no wine connoisseur) that Aldi's Winking Owl wine is the best bang for your buck wine out there. It's around $3 and I'm sure it's better than the competition from what I've read and heard. I wonder what Trader Joes or Lidl's branded wine is (if they have any) and how it compares?
I've always thought that the two-buck Chuck Merlot at Trader Joe's is surprisingly drinkable for $3. I've enjoyed the other varietals less.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:07 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,071 times
I enjoy the $3 TJ buck chuck Chardonnay. I had it at a friends' and was shocked to find out it was the $3 buck chuck. I just bought a CASE yesterday.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:32 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,273,529 times
Woo! Nice! Thats good to know. I'm not a wine drinker by any means, but I've told myself next time I make it out that way near Aldi I'm going to stop by and grab several bottles of Winking Owl. I think I'll do the same for what Trader Joes has to offer, too.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:17 AM

604 posts, read 584,300 times
My latest addiction is TJ's 'Everything But The Bagel' seasoning mix. Great sprinkled on all sorts of things, we use it on scrambled eggs. I was glad to find that Aldi's has their own steel cut oatmeal. It's hard to find except very pricey imported stuff. TJ's has their own brand as well, but they are twice as far from our house. BTW- If you like steel cut oatmeal, beware of the 'quick cook' kind- ain't the same.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:33 PM

6 posts, read 7,142 times
Lidl Store has Grand Opening tomorrow 6/15/17 on Wade Hampton. Can't wait to try it out !

Old 06-15-2017, 07:19 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdNadeau View Post
Lidl Store has Grand Opening tomorrow 6/15/17 on Wade Hampton. Can't wait to try it out !

Hey Ed....
Come on back and give us the 411 when you can. Is it sad that I'm so interested in a new food market??
Where we currently live, we have Aldi but no Trader Joes. Lidl will have a market opening here soon and I'm hoping it will be more like TJs, which I love.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 7,142 times
Went to Lidl on opening day and it was mobbed with people shopping. I was not impressed. Thought it would be more in line with the likes of Whole Foods or even Trader Joe's. It was just a ho hum every day grocery with OK prices. However I do eat very well with mostly real food which is usually bought on the outside isle of most stores. If you love the soda, chips, etc there was plenty of that and probably good prices.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:02 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdNadeau View Post
Went to Lidl on opening day and it was mobbed with people shopping. I was not impressed. Thought it would be more in line with the likes of Whole Foods or even Trader Joe's. It was just a ho hum every day grocery with OK prices. However I do eat very well with mostly real food which is usually bought on the outside isle of most stores. If you love the soda, chips, etc there was plenty of that and probably good prices.
I shop the same way you do, and also rarely eat meat, so the huge meat display was of no interest to me, nor was the large cheese selection. However, for those that do indulge in those items it was impressive. The produce was about the same as Aldi, as were the prices. Still much better than typical Publix prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area