Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 08:18 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times

Advertisements

I have quite a few daylily's, well over 50 of them I've found some great daylily's from area growers and would like to know if anyone knows of any nurseries, usual or backyard nurseries, who sell hybridized daylily's? They don't need to be registered/named, just beautiful - I'm partial to ruffled edge ones these day.

The majority of my daylily's have come from Daylily and Hosta Gardens on Roper Mtn Rd. and the other place is from Beavercreek Daylily Nursery up in Marietta area, off 25. If anyone is in to unusual daylily's, try to get up to Beavercreek this season. The gentleman, Dick Dover, who owned it with his wife Cathy, passed away a little over a month ago. Dick was a hybridizer of daylily's, but I don't think he ever registered them. I was out there last week. His wife Cathy decided to open this season. There are thousands of daylilys (see attached picture). Any daylily that starts with Bumbleberry, Dick created. I plan on going back, as I need a "few more" daylily's. She's only opening on the weekends, 9-4, but I would call ahead to make sure.

But, as I mentioned, looking for some more daylily's and would like to know if anyone knows other hybridizer's who may have some unusual daylily's. I'll probably find most of them at Beavercreek, but would like to know if there are any other places around???

I've also been to Richardson Daylily's down in Anderson, it was just too darn hot the day we went to really look. I'll be hitting future places when they first open, I'll wilt faster than a picked daylily out of water if I don't!

I've also gone down to Columbia to get some daylily's from a hybridizer down there. Can pass along that name if anyone is interested going down there. This hybridizer only carries ruffled edge daylily's.
Attached Thumbnails
Area Daylily's Anyone?-20170604_100307.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 03:30 AM

604 posts, read 584,082 times
I can't help you find more daylily's, but I would like to learn about growing them! The only sunny areas we have have extremely poor soil. I have one daylily, and it is so stunted that it is only about 5" tall! It still flowers, though. Our neighbors have a beautiful display, so I know it can be done. What do they like? If nothing else, I'd love a big patch of the native 'ditch lily's'.

I do see ads on craigslist for a daylily grower in Woodruff, if I recall.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
I can't help you find more daylily's, but I would like to learn about growing them! The only sunny areas we have have extremely poor soil. I have one daylily, and it is so stunted that it is only about 5" tall! It still flowers, though. Our neighbors have a beautiful display, so I know it can be done. What do they like? If nothing else, I'd love a big patch of the native 'ditch lily's'.

I do see ads on craigslist for a daylily grower in Woodruff, if I recall.
I have seen that ad too but haven't been there yet.

I have the worse soil imaginable, rocky clay. Daylilys will grow anywhere. I have mine in full sun, part shade, shade (under maple trees). They are the easiest thing to grow, and they multiple quickly. Hardest part is picking ones out.

I have ditch Lily's I want to get rid of, was given them without knowing which daylily it was. You are more than welcome to have them. Will give me more space for the daylily's I want!
Attached Thumbnails
Area Daylily's Anyone?-img_20170601_154120_kindlephoto-253836268.jpg  

Old 06-11-2017, 03:58 AM

604 posts, read 584,082 times
Hmmm- That's what they told me about hosta. Mine grew great- until the voles ate them during the winter. We have 6 acres of shade, and an acre of sun, so I had big hopes for hosta. I'll have to get busy and prepare a daylily bed, and see what happens. Is there a best time of year to plant/move them?

Old 06-12-2017, 07:01 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
My mother bought some great plants from Richardson's last year. She bought the cheapest ones and even those were large plants that have had beautiful blooms this year. She has a couple that have over 30 flower buds set this year.

We also bought a few from the American Hemerocallis Society booth at the Clemson Botanical Garden sale last fall. They had 2-3 fan plants that were inexpensive and they have also had some beautiful flowers this year. It'll take a few years for them to grow to a fuller size but they are nice plants.

There are so many varieties that it is hard to pick one to plant! I too have a few ditch lillies left that are pretty in bloom but the plants are kind of tall and leggy. Hope to replace them with nicer varieties this year.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:45 PM

632 posts, read 748,394 times
I took a drive up old Hwy 25 , off Hwy 25, just past Hwy 11 last week. There were several small professionally printed signs offering hybridized Daylilys somewhere there on old hwy 25.

MushCreek....
Had the same thing happen with quite a large number of hostas, a few years ago. I've had luck with planting the root balls inside a cage of wire cloth. I think we only lost 3 plants last winter, but I'm not sure those were due to the Voles. We've also had really good luck with putting them in pots on our deck.

Last edited by Cedge1; 06-12-2017 at 08:02 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
I took a drive up old Hwy 25 , off Hwy 25 just past Hwy 11 last week. There were several small professionally printed signs offering hybrid Daylilys located somewhere there on old hwy 25.
That's Cathy Dover, of Beavercreek, mentioned and pictured above. There's a sign there on 25 for the Poinsett Bridge, the daylily place is before Poinsett Bridge. You also pass Hotel Domistique, which is shortly after you turn off 25. I think Beavercreek is about 2.5-3 miles off 25. It would be on your right side if coming off 25.

Mushcreek, I have planted daylily's anywhere from spring to fall. I got some daylily's from Beavercreek last year, I think it was around October, when they were not in bloom. All of them either are currently blooming, or have buds and will be blooming this year. Here's a picture of two of them that's blooming for the first time for me.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,101 times
Default Contact info for beavercreek daylilies?

Hello all,
We've had wonderful success with our plants from Beavercreek daylilies (Upstate, SC) over the years. I was so sorry to hear about Dick's passing. He always had great stories to tell and he was so proud of the daylilies they were hybridizing.

Does anyone have a contact phone # for Cathy/nursery. We're interested in making a trip up, and I didn't want to plan a trip and find the daylily farm closed.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002special View Post
Hello all,
We've had wonderful success with our plants from Beavercreek daylilies (Upstate, SC) over the years. I was so sorry to hear about Dick's passing. He always had great stories to tell and he was so proud of the daylilies they were hybridizing.

Does anyone have a contact phone # for Cathy/nursery. We're interested in making a trip up, and I didn't want to plan a trip and find the daylily farm closed.

Thanks in advance!
Anyone who would like Cathy's number to call ahead, please PM me.

2002, will p\m you the number

Last edited by Eldemila; 06-15-2017 at 02:01 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,101 times
Thanks so much and I'll let her know you gave me her number. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area