Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:06 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,276 times

Advertisements

My husband has the potential to get a job transfer to Greenville, SC and from everything I have read about this city so far, I think it would be a wonderful place to live and raise our family. We are currently living in Mukilteo, WA....just outside of Seattle. Beautiful place, great climate.......when the SUN shines! WOW......can't take much more of this rain. Sounds like Greenville, SC has similar winter/fall temperatures with more sunshine. Love that! We are orginally from the East Coast of Canada (New Brunswick) and are practicing traditional Roman Catholics. Married hetrosexual couple with 3 kids aged 11, 9 and 4.

The price of housing in Greenville is very attractive to us when comparing the housing prices in the North West.
Ok.......so the big question or concern I guess I really have is.......How are CONSERVATIVE Catholic Canadians viewed in "the south" (or did you even know they existed! LOL)
Thanks inadvance for your feedback!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,838,963 times
conservative? religious? I think you'll do just fine

P.S. whats different about Canadians anyway?

Old 03-11-2008, 05:02 PM

There is not much that is different about Canadians and Americans. (except for a few words and expressions........You know what I mean..."EH"!! LOL)

In my opinion, in general, Canadians are more familar with American lifestyle/politics due to the American media in Canada.
Americans know very little about Canada (which I believe is attributed to the lack of media in the USA about Canadians), so that is why I asked how the south views us? If I plan on living there, I wouldn't want to be residing in an area of the country that disliked Canadians and my family and I felt unwelcome.

After living in Tampa and Seattle, I've think I'm coming to the conclusion that Americans in general, don't dislike Canadians.....they just haven't given us much consideration or thought. Are we viewed kind of like the kid in the class who doesn't stand out too much one way or another? Would that be a fair statement?

Old 03-11-2008, 06:26 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,369,761 times
I have a friend who is Hungarian-French-Canadian-American. He likes living here and is a permanent resident/citizen now.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:31 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times
what is all this aboot eh? what do you mean americans don't know anything aboot canadians? I do. all canadians live in igloos and drink maple syrup for breakfast instead of coffee. most people in the carolinas know that!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 PM

haha
Good........."Ya'll" have a great sense of humour! (humour is spelled with a "U" in Canada......by the way)
I think I would like it just fine.

My igloo might melt so I'll have to think "aboot" moving into a regular house....and I'll have to bring a LARGE supply of maple syrup to hold me over until my next trip back to Canada.........but I'm sure I'll survive........since you all have an "Ice" Hockey rink there.........you can't be too bad! LOL

Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 AM

they have an ice hockey rink but the team doesn't play there anymore! I am originally from detroit so I am a big hockey fan! I am sure you would like it in greenville. I have been a couple of times and found it to be a fun, friendly place..........just like canada!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Thanks jmarquise!
That is too bad about the hockey team not playing there anymore....What happened, do you know?
From what I understand they do still have "The Pavillon" though?
I have two kids that play minor hockey (girl and boy) and we would certainly like to keep them in that sport.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 PM

from my understanding, it is due to lack of profit. the team did good for the first couple of years but then attendance dropped. I really hope that doesn't happen to the baseball team because they invested a lot of money into a really nice stadium. I am sure that you will be able to find a hockey league there. supporting a youth league is much easier than a minor league team!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:46 PM

Thanks for your info.
Could you tell me if there is a certain area of the city that you know of that has more transplants than others areas? I'm kinda looking at Taylors area. From what I'm gathering though, many areas of Greenville are growing and there seems to be a lot more "northerners" and people moving up from Florida than ever before. Would that be accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area