Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,120,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Could it be like what the European Aldi Nord look like?
Couldn't find any pictures of one that looks like this one will. The roof, in the front, is pitched higher on one side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,775 times
Quote:
Could it be like what the European Aldi Nord look like?
Aldi Nord runs Trader Joe's in the US, whereas US Aldi is run by Aldi Sud so it's unlikely.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:59 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,443,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabarrcs View Post
Aldi Nord runs Trader Joe's in the US, whereas US Aldi is run by Aldi Sud so it's unlikely.
I'm aware of that. However, I've seen pictures of Aldi Nord stores & they have the glass face like the US Lidls. I've been in Aldi Sud in Europe that looked identical to the Aldi stores that we are familiar with.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Couldn't find any pictures of one that looks like this one will. The roof, in the front, is pitched higher on one side.
Interesting. . .It might be a varient of an Aldi Nord store. I think that the brothers are now dead. Chances are that the cousins would cooperate in going up against the common enemy - the Schwartz family. It's been common knowledge that Lidl is going after Aldi & Trader Joe's in the US.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:31 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,120,629 times
Quote:
Interesting. . .It might be a varient of an Aldi Nord store. I think that the brothers are now dead. Chances are that the cousins would cooperate in going up against the common enemy - the Schwartz family. It's been common knowledge that Lidl is going after Aldi & Trader Joe's in the US.
I can see Lidl going after the Aldi customers, but TJ's - I could never think of them in the same ballpark. Unless Lidl has a store like TJ's under it's umbrella, I would think the only war is between Aldi and Lidl, not TJ's.

Will be interesting to see this new store design. Wonder if it is going to be any larger than the other area Aldi's??

Old 09-23-2017, 06:42 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,106,495 times
Quote:

Karl Albrecht (Aldi-Süd) and Theo Albrecht (Aldi-Nord), the two brothers are dead.

Aldi-Süd is owned by three foundations, a family foundation and two charity foundations. The management of Aldi-Süd is from outside the Albrecht family.

Aldi-Nord is owned by three family foundations (Jakobus, Lukas and Markus Stiftung). With the exception of Theo Albrecht Junior, the management of Aldi-Nord is also from outside the Albrecht family.

Within Aldi-Nord, there is a family feud going on between:

Theo Albrecht Junior (son of Theo Albrecht), his wife, his daughter and Cäcilie Albrecht (widow of Theo Albrecht).

vs.

Babette Albrecht (widow of Berthold Albrecht) and her five children. Berthold Albrecht was a son of Theo Albrecht and the brother of Theo Albrecht Junior. Berthold Albrecht took mostly care of Trader Joe's.

Berthold Albrecht decreed in his testament, that his wife Babette Albrecht should get 1,000,000 Euros per year, their five children should get nothing until they turn 32, then they should get each €250,000 per year.
Babette Albrecht and her five children are not pleased with their annual grant. Babette Albrecht seems to be a very greedy witch, she likes old sport cars and wants to live in the lap of luxury. She and her children took in the last three years reportedly 25 million Euros from the Jokobus Stiftung, annually

Theo Albrecht Junior is extremely angry about the behaviour of his sister-in-law Babette Albrecht, especially about that she show herself in public in expensive sport cars. He is worried about the reputation of Aldi. The constitution of these family foundations ban an exclusive living style of the family members. Despite living in the most expensive neighborhood of Essen, the Albrecht family had always a reputation for being thrifty and modestly.

For stratetic decissions at Aldi-Nord all three family foundations have to agree. That's a heavy burden for Aldi-Nord. With some delay the Jakobus Stiftung has agreed to invest five billion Euros into the modernization of the 5,000 Aldi Nord stores in Europe.

I doubt that Aldi-Süd wants to cooperate more closely with Aldi-Nord. The disputes in the Albrecht family that controls Aldi-Nord makes a tighther cooperation difficult and unpredictable for Aldi-Süd. But last year both chains have started their first jointly TV ads. They probably also cooperate partially at central buying.
In Germany sales per store at Aldi-Süd are about 50-60% higher than at Aldi-Nord stores. Sales at Aldi-Süd are for one thing higher because Aldi-Süd operates in the more affluent parts of Germany. Southern and Western Germany are richer than Northern and Eastern Germany. But another reason is that Aldi-Süd stores are just nicer compared to the stores from Aldi-Nord.

I live now in the city of Essen. My closest Aldi store is one from Aldi-Nord (about 1 mile away). But I shop more often at an Aldi-Süd store (about 3 miles away) in the adjacent city of Mülheim. But overall I prefer shopping at Lidl, partially because the Aldi-Süd store is too far away.

If Aldi-Nord would open Aldi stores in the U.S. we would already know that, because they would need to build distribution centers first. And such a move had to be planned many years in advance. Aldi-Nord will surely never open Aldi stores in the U.S. But another family owned German retailer reportedly wants to bring their clothing discount chain Kik to the U.S.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Karl Albrecht (Aldi-Süd) and Theo Albrecht (Aldi-Nord), the two brothers are dead.

Aldi-Süd is owned by three foundations, a family foundation and two charity foundations. The management of Aldi-Süd is from outside the Albrecht family.

Aldi-Nord is owned by three family foundations (Jakobus, Lukas and Markus Stiftung). With the exception of Theo Albrecht Junior, the management of Aldi-Nord is also from outside the Albrecht family.

Within Aldi-Nord, there is a family feud going on between:

Theo Albrecht Junior (son of Theo Albrecht), his wife, his daughter and Cäcilie Albrecht (widow of Theo Albrecht).

vs.

Babette Albrecht (widow of Berthold Albrecht) and her five children. Berthold Albrecht was a son of Theo Albrecht and the brother of Theo Albrecht Junior. Berthold Albrecht took mostly care of Trader Joe's.

Berthold Albrecht decreed in his testament, that his wife Babette Albrecht should get 1,000,000 Euros per year, their five children should get nothing until they turn 32, then they should get each €250,000 per year.
Babette Albrecht and her five children are not pleased with their annual grant. Babette Albrecht seems to be a very greedy witch, she likes old sport cars and wants to live in the lap of luxury. She and her children took in the last three years reportedly 25 million Euros from the Jokobus Stiftung, annually

Theo Albrecht Junior is extremely angry about the behaviour of his sister-in-law Babette Albrecht, especially about that she show herself in public in expensive sport cars. He is worried about the reputation of Aldi. The constitution of these family foundations ban an exclusive living style of the family members. Despite living in the most expensive neighborhood of Essen, the Albrecht family had always a reputation for being thrifty and modestly.

For stratetic decissions at Aldi-Nord all three family foundations have to agree. That's a heavy burden for Aldi-Nord. With some delay the Jakobus Stiftung has agreed to invest five billion Euros into the modernization of the 5,000 Aldi Nord stores in Europe.

I doubt that Aldi-Süd wants to cooperate more closely with Aldi-Nord. The disputes in the Albrecht family that controls Aldi-Nord makes a tighther cooperation difficult and unpredictable for Aldi-Süd. But last year both chains have started their first jointly TV ads. They probably also cooperate partially at central buying.
In Germany sales per store at Aldi-Süd are about 50-60% higher than at Aldi-Nord stores. Sales at Aldi-Süd are for one thing higher because Aldi-Süd operates in the more affluent parts of Germany. Southern and Western Germany are richer than Northern and Eastern Germany. But another reason is that Aldi-Süd stores are just nicer compared to the stores from Aldi-Nord.

I live now in the city of Essen. My closest Aldi store is one from Aldi-Nord (about 1 mile away). But I shop more often at an Aldi-Süd store (about 3 miles away) in the adjacent city of Mülheim. But overall I prefer shopping at Lidl, partially because the Aldi-Süd store is too far away.

If Aldi-Nord would open Aldi stores in the U.S. we would already know that, because they would need to build distribution centers first. And such a move had to be planned many years in advance. Aldi-Nord will surely never open Aldi stores in the U.S. But another family owned German retailer reportedly wants to bring their clothing discount chain Kik to the U.S.
Aldi Nord is here under the Trader Joe's banner. I've suspected, for many years, that there is some cooperation of buying, at least in this country.

My comment about cooperation was in reference to the unusual Aldi that is being built in South Carolina. I thought that Aldi Sud ( is it ue or eu without the umlaut? ) might have borrowed a building design from Aldi Nord.

It sounds like a read mess for Aldi Nord.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:35 PM

9,364 posts, read 9,662,180 times
What's the latest word on the opening of the Woodruff Road location?

Old 09-25-2017, 03:56 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,917,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I noticed that the other night sitting in traffic. I could see inside some and it looks like just the checkout area/entrance has a higher roof the rest of the way the ceiling looked low like a typical Aldi. Did not look any larger than any of the other Aldi's in this area to me inside.

They probably just made some subtle changes to make the outside look more appealing since it will be sandwiched and in competition eventually between two Lidl's (Wade Hampton and future Poinsett Hwy)

Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 AM

I went to the Gastonia Lidl. I tried the vegetable pizza bread from the bakery. The bread part is rather heavy, but the vegetables are very good. I got the Icelandic yogurt. I'm saving that for later in the week when it warms up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area