Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 04:36 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Hopefully the police don't do this anymore. They used to. I witnessed it. And it was disturbing.

In 2008 I watched the Greenville PD stop and basically kidnap a man by force for no good reason other than he was homeless. This was apparently common, and locals advised that the police would just drop people off outside the city.

The FBI got involved and at least one cop was charged, maybe around 2010? The cop took a homeless man somewhere, then beat the crap out of him.

It's gotten better (by that I mean the cops don't just arrest people for existing), but my wife was involved in an incident where the police harassed then arrested a (black) man for... wait for it... talking to my (white) wife. Seriously. That was last year in Falls Park. The police said he was harassing people (namely, my wife), even though my wife told them he wasn't bothering her. It was a disturbing incident, and my wife still feels guilty for not having done more to stop the police harassment at the time, or following up on what happened to the man involved. It was a total overreach by the Greenville PD, and no doubt racist.
I've lived in Greenville for 12 years. I've never been harassed by police for being black. This is a little overreaching attempt to convince the visitor that the cops do racist stuff continuously. While I'm sure unfair things happen here just like anywhere else, I don't see it as a common issue here. They try very hard. I've even sit down and talked with the chief of police recently. Seems nice to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 05:25 PM

34 posts, read 28,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I've been going downtown Greenville since 1996 and I've never witnessed police officers randomly harassing and arresting black people.
I've been going downtown since 1997 and I've never witnessed this either. I'm usually downtown about 3-4 days/nights a week.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:49 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Yes, thank you so much for coming back with your very descriptive post and updating us. Glad you enjoyed Greenville. Happy I found that block party for you and all the suggestions that everyone posted were helpful. Come back again. There's plenty to do

Old 07-03-2017, 06:54 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,176 times
One thing we did wonder this weekend while downtown is....when colleges are in session, is the crowd different on main street? Certainly seemed to be a little older, family oriented on this trip (which is just fine) but we were wondering what it'd be like on a Saturday evening in October when the local colleges are back in.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:02 PM

387 posts, read 330,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I've been going downtown Greenville since 1996 and I've never witnessed police officers randomly harassing and arresting black people.
Sad to say I've seen what seemed to me to be harrassment a few times - not necessarily just African-Americans but people who might be homeless or just often on the street. But maybe not for a couple of years?

All my interactions with Greenville city police have been positive, but the city also has historically guarded downtown pretty strongly. Haven't heard anything for a while but the downtown curfew on teenagers always rubbed me the wrong way. It seemed to me like collective punishment for the sins of a few.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:52 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
One thing we did wonder this weekend while downtown is....when colleges are in session, is the crowd different on main street? Certainly seemed to be a little older, family oriented on this trip (which is just fine) but we were wondering what it'd be like on a Saturday evening in October when the local colleges are back in.
If you came this past weekend, I know a lot of people were out of town due to the holiday.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:32 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Hopefully the police don't do this anymore. They used to. I witnessed it. And it was disturbing.

In 2008 I watched the Greenville PD stop and basically kidnap a man by force for no good reason other than he was homeless. This was apparently common, and locals advised that the police would just drop people off outside the city.

The FBI got involved and at least one cop was charged, maybe around 2010? The cop took a homeless man somewhere, then beat the crap out of him.

It's gotten better (by that I mean the cops don't just arrest people for existing), but my wife was involved in an incident where the police harassed then arrested a (black) man for... wait for it... talking to my (white) wife. Seriously. That was last year in Falls Park. The police said he was harassing people (namely, my wife), even though my wife told them he wasn't bothering her. It was a disturbing incident, and my wife still feels guilty for not having done more to stop the police harassment at the time, or following up on what happened to the man involved. It was a total overreach by the Greenville PD, and no doubt racist.
Source? I don't remember this at all. Oh and maybe the homeless guy was panhandling which is illegal.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:26 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Source? I don't remember this at all. Oh and maybe the homeless guy was panhandling which is illegal.
I couldn't find reference to panhandling being explicitly mentioned illegal in the city's municipal code - only molesting / disturbing passerby's is illegal.

Having very few or no panhandlers and no hustlers downtown is part of the uniqueness, considering the number of visitors.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:24 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
The crowd downtown is wonderful in that it's very diverse. Young and old. The later it gets, the younger it gets.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Milliman admitted in court that on consecutive days in September 2009, he assaulted homeless individuals whom he and other officers had just arrested, handcuffed, and secured in a patrol car. In the first incident, Milliman entered the backseat of the patrol car where the handcuffed man was sitting alone, and struck him in the face with his forearm after the man yelled out, busting the man’s lip. In the second incident, Milliman entered the backseat of the patrol car where a deaf-mute homeless individual was handcuffed and secured. Milliman poked the man with an ink pen, making the man audible a sound that Milliman found amusing. He poked him again so that nearby officers would hear the sound. Milliman then poured a hand sanitizing liquid on the man’s head. Another officer later wiped the liquid off the man’s head before he was transported to jail.
https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/co...0/co042110.htm

The incident I witnessed was disturbing in how violent they put the man in the police car, in how the officers seemed to be enjoying it, and that it was in broad daylight in the middle of the day.

I do think things have improved in recent years, even with the incident with my wife last year.

When I walk downtown at lunch during the week, I probably get approached by someone for money about 1 in 4 times. I always see people I assume are homeless and I'm fine with that.

It's better than living in a city where it's most vulnerable people are treated so horribly by (some of) the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area