U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 1,421 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking at relocating to Anderson SC I really loved everything I've seen and have read on it. Until I got to the crime rate. Which was rated with an F. So I'm naturally concerned. There's a list of over 250 sex offenders and a high violent crime rate. So my question is how bad is crime there really? Should I not go outside alone? Is it safe for my kids to ride there bikes down the road. Or is it only in certain areas of town? How safe is Anderson exactly? Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 09:18 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,409,329 times
Most of the crime in Anderson is concentrated in certain lower income areas of the city. A quick drive around town will make it pretty visually obvious which areas are higher crime as they are also generally visually run down as well. When you watch the local news, crime seems to come disproportionately from very specific parts of Anderson and Spartanburg.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:35 AM

4,401 posts, read 2,545,641 times
Hi Jessica, I answered your post in the main thread. Anderson is definitely a part of the Upstate, but I saw the other thread first.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:50 AM

76 posts, read 31,343 times
You asked about Anderson crime. Anderson is a safe place to live. I lived there for a year. Every city has areas that have crime areas. The problem is that our local news has nothing to report so they focus on crime in the area. If you watch the local news you will find that Greenville has quite a bit of crime in certain areas also.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:24 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,646,797 times
Having lived there and moved a few years ago I can tell you stay far, far away. Rural areas which is most of the county is riddled with crime from theft, drugs, and robbery to rape and murder. I would advise you either move to Greenville or bypass SC altogether until they figure things out

Old 07-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Status: "chasing waterfalls in Waterfall City" (set 15 days ago)

4,424 posts, read 1,896,110 times
Anderson and rural areas in general are much safer than urban areas like Atlanta.

There are not a ton of crimes being committed in the middle class / affluent areas of Anderson / Anderson County.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:05 PM

76 posts, read 31,343 times
Well said Simpsonvillian!!!

Old 07-12-2017, 10:39 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,646,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Anderson and rural areas in general are much safer than urban areas like Atlanta.

There are not a ton of crimes being committed in the middle class / affluent areas of Anderson / Anderson County.
You really don't know what you're talking about. There have been more murders per capita in Anderson in the past few years than the entire Atlanta metro. I can also say I've faced and heard of far more crimes in Anderson than I have in Atlanta.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:11 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,164,091 times
Rear windshield busted out at the apartments behind/near the old TL Hanna.
Car stolen from yard way out near Stone Creek Cove, I think its called, golf course.
Home broken into in the same area.
Attempted robbery at that little shopping center where that music store is, I forget the name, Drasens maybe.
Purse snatched at the Mall, twice, but the second time the guy was blasted with pepper spray.

This is what has happened to my Mom since she moved to Anderson in 1985.

Last edited by UpstateJohn; 07-13-2017 at 05:49 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 08:16 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,409,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Rear windshield busted out at the apartments behind/near the old TL Hanna.
Car stolen from yard way out near Stone Creek Cove, I think its called, golf course.
Home broken into in the same area.
Attempted robbery at that little shopping center where that music store is, I forget the name, Drasens maybe.
Purse snatched at the Mall, twice, but the second time the guy was blasted with pepper spray.

This is what has happened to my Mom since she moved to Anderson in 1985.
My mom's lived in the Centerville area of Anderson that is mostly moderately priced homes and has had zero issues for the 6-7 years she's been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area