U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:22 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,246,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
I can see the rage angle from those who live directly around the area. When the neighborhoods off 14 were built, that entire parcel was cemetery. They had the expectation that it would remain cemetery because it's not often that land for a cemetery is sold for development. I worked there for a short while in between graduation from high school and when I left for college and they were talking abut putting in a mortuary on part of that corner, to offer more "full service" like its sister cemetery, Graceland on White Horse Rd.

I don't think Southside Christian won any friends from the surrounding area by changing their tune so easily when it became a benefit to them.

In the early 90's before Harris Teeter pulled out of the region, we'd hoped they'd have built one in that area. We'd go to the one at Pelham/85 a few times a month and then later the Roper Mtn Rd/385 one which was closer to our neighborhood behind Mauldin High. I think it would have done spectacularly in that area, especially since the closest other option was the original Ingles and old horrible Bilo in Mauldin.
There wasn't a Harris Teeter at Pelham/85. That was BI-LO before Earthfare. Did you mean the Harris Teeter
at S.Pleasantburg/Mauldin Rd where GB Shoe Warehouse is now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 08:56 PM

161 posts, read 144,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
There wasn't a Harris Teeter at Pelham/85. That was BI-LO before Earthfare. Did you mean the Harris Teeter
at S.Pleasantburg/Mauldin Rd where GB Shoe Warehouse is now?
After studying the map, apparently I had pushed the location at Old Spartanburg Rd/Hudson Rd to my brain as being on Pelham Road - we'd stop at the library branch on Pelham before the grocery store, over the years I just "moved" the Harris Teeter in my mind. Once the new Bilo opened on Woodruff, we stopped going to Harris Teeter, so I was 11 or 12 the last time I was in that area.

(And despite passing by that Harris Teeter at Mauldin Rd every day on my way to Southside High, I totally forgot it was also a Harris Teeter until you mentioned it!)

Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 AM

2,888 posts, read 3,323,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Harris Teeter has problems spectating in a market with existing and announced stores rather than participating with active new store construction. The Kroger Company either needs Harris Teeter to continue opening stores, or it needs to acquire an existing supermarket participant that can open stores.

I would not mind seeing Ingle's get involved in the Woodruff Road trade area. It missed the boat 25 to 30 years ago.
I think the 2 previously announced Harris Teeter projects are at long last underway, and construction has finally begun. But I would think to maintain a stronger presence in the market they should also consider Woodruff Rd, Fairview Rd, and possibly Wade Hampton corridor in Greer. Meanwhile Lowe's Foods has entered the trade area in to top tier supermarket segment.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:11 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,246,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I think the 2 previously announced Harris Teeter projects are at long last underway, and construction has finally begun. But I would think to maintain a stronger presence in the market they should also consider Woodruff Rd, Fairview Rd, and possibly Wade Hampton corridor in Greer. Meanwhile Lowe's Foods has entered the trade area in to top tier supermarket segment.
Construction has not started at Northpointe but that's not the Teeter's fault. Construction cannot start until the road work is done supposedly (yeah right I will believe it when I see it) by the end of the year. Construction has started at Lewis Plaza. I was told they were trying to coordinate the two together but gave up on that after the delays at Northpointe.

I think HT has favored more urban/dense sites lately. They relocated their Asheville store to a more central site close to DT.

If Lowes were to ever hang it up here acquiring those sites would be good locations for HT: Riverside, FiveForks and Pelham Rd. They should not have let Lowes beat them too it in those areas in the first place.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:55 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,737,736 times
Is there any chance we could get a Mattress Firm at this location? There aren't many places to get a mattress around here.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:05 PM

15,865 posts, read 13,547,956 times
How many Mattress Firm stores do you need at the location?

Old 07-25-2017, 05:52 AM

3,625 posts, read 11,758,835 times
I honestly think we are swamped with grocery stores and would love to see a home improvement store /nursery though I think the Lee vaughn/Woodruff area would be a prime spot for something like that.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:46 AM

15,865 posts, read 13,547,956 times
Does Woodruff Road need another Lowe's and Home Depot?

Old 07-25-2017, 11:08 AM

3,625 posts, read 11,758,835 times
I live south of five forks and go to Simpsonville when I need to on the weekends. Woodruff road congestion makes it a nightmare. I find I go to a mattress store once every7-8 years but a hardware store/garden shop every month, twice a month in the warm months. When traffic is heavy there is no good way to get to that part of Woodruff road.

There is so much growth with new homes on Woodruff south of five forks and lee Vaughn right now it is ridiculous. I think an ACE Hardware store would be ideal if they had a good garden center. .. at least the franchises are locally owned and their staff actually know their inventory. [having had blank stares when I asked for a hose clamp and for a dowel at the big box Lowes/HD I would just as soon not deal with them]

A great garden center / lawn-mower repair / hardware shop would be awesome

Old 07-25-2017, 02:27 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,737,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
How many Mattress Firm stores do you need at the location?
At least two, preferably sharing the same parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area