Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 AM

21 posts, read 92,821 times

Advertisements

Hi, my hubby, myself, child, and pets have decided to move to the beautiful Sate of South Carolina and I was just wondering if anyone could help me decide where to relocate to based on the following ?'s. I currently live in Ohio so I apologize if my ?'s seem weird but they are true concerns. First, how likely is it that I would see a bear, mountain lion, or snake(poisonous) in my backyard in Taylors, Greer, Anderson, or Piedmont? Higher probability in Taylors and Greer I'm sure but what about the other areas? Second, how are the spiders there? I just want to make sure that my child and pets will be safe from being attacked by any of the above. Are these animals a worry or hardly seen? Lastly, a ? not about being bitten or eaten by something... Can anyone tell my if Wren school district is in Piedmont? Is Riverside school in Greer? Is Anderson Dist.1 school is the city of Anderson or Anderson County, or is the city in the county??
Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thank You from a confused Ohioan looking to make a new home in South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 AM

128 posts, read 613,039 times
oh no, these are the posts that make northerners look ridiculous. i'm from michigan, i promise you won't see any of these things. yikes.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 AM

128 posts, read 613,039 times
really wow. i read it again. i'm really not trying to be rude, but was there like a zero risk of being "attacked" by spiders in ohio or something?

yes, riverside is in greer. and anderson county 1 is probably the whole county.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 AM

131 posts, read 696,242 times
It is very rare to see bears or mountain lions. A bear was on Clemson BLVD last summer but they were able to capture it and move it. A bear was seen on HWY 8/I-85 in Pelzer last summer as-well, but they are very rare to see. Their have been reports by Clemson Police department of a *possible* mountain lion/cougar on Clemson University campus, it has been seen twice by Police officers. Snakes and spiders are everywhere, just avoid them. Andreson District one is *not* the whole county it is the northern part of the county including the towns of Powdersville, Pelzer, West Pelzer, Williamston, Parts of Piedmont, Cheddar, and Parts of Belton. Link has the district map:Anderson School District One | District Map (http://asd1.schoolwires.com/161810127145942597/blank/browse.asp?a=383&bmdrn=2000&bcob=0&c=54757 - broken link)
Wren school district is a part of Anderson District one. Anderson county does not require your children to attend a certain school district or school. If there is available room at another district you want your child to attend, they can. There must be available room for your child. I live in the area and if you have any more questions about this area feel free to ask.
Good Luck

Old 03-12-2008, 10:58 AM

21 posts, read 92,821 times
Thanks for all the input. I knew that I would probably receive flack for asking but I still wanted to know. The reason that I even wondered about bears, snakes, and spiders is because when we came for a visit in feb. the owner of the cabin we stayed in told us he sees bears "all the time", the poisonous snakes are everywhere and very aggressive, and so are the black widow spiders. I just wanted to know from anyone else how likely it is that I would run in to any of these so that I could at least try to prepare myself for that. Again, thank you all for the information. I definitely feel more at ease and more informed about the schools. That webite for the Anderson District one is great-thank you SCSkier. I cant wait be in the warmth. Its still 34 degrees here and I have a 3 feet snow drift in my driveway.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:25 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,097 times
It's a matter of being in their habitat. So, a cabin in the woods is a lot more likely to see all these critters than a home in the 'burbs. On a smaller scale, there are localized habitats that are much more conducive to animals. If you let the kids play in a rural woodpile or swamp, the risk is much greater. I've been hiking in the parks and on our property a number of times, and I've seen zero bears, one tiny snake (about the size of a worm), and a bizillion spiders, but no poisonous ones. There do seem to be a lot of spiders in SC, particularly in the woods. Interestingly, I've only had one tick, and I was really thrashing in the brush that day. Personally, I worry more about certain 2 legged animals in cities much more than I do the 4, 6, 8, or no legged ones in the country.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Default Also, bald eagles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by junemmt View Post
Thanks for all the input. I knew that I would probably receive flack for asking but I still wanted to know. The reason that I even wondered about bears, snakes, and spiders is because when we came for a visit in feb. the owner of the cabin we stayed in told us he sees bears "all the time", the poisonous snakes are everywhere and very aggressive, and so are the black widow spiders. I just wanted to know from anyone else how likely it is that I would run in to any of these so that I could at least try to prepare myself for that. Again, thank you all for the information. I definitely feel more at ease and more informed about the schools. That webite for the Anderson District one is great-thank you SCSkier. I cant wait be in the warmth. Its still 34 degrees here and I have a 3 feet snow drift in my driveway.

Hi, what part of Ohio are you leaving? I have relatives in N.E. Ohio and in the southeastern area. I don't know if TN has bald eagles as we do in Alaska, but if they do, do not let any small pets out alone, they are a prime target for the eagles. Few years back a tourist was in AK. with her toy poodle. It was so sad, a bald eagle swept down and took it. As I said small animals, (dogs, cats, rabbits, etc.) are at risk with them. The eagles are beautiful but can be deadly to their prey, they are also extremely fast. We are loaded up here with moose, bears, caribou, wolves, coyotes, but thank goodness, no snakes.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM

617 posts, read 2,571,732 times
As has been said, you're more likely to see snakes than anything. It's possible to see venomous and non-venomous snakes pretty much anywhere in the snake, but I have never seen a venomous snake in our yard near downtown. The farther out of town you go, the more likely to see them. We have had a couple of black snakes in our yard, but they are harmless, unless you scare them of course. (and still, they're more likely to run away)

Bears are more likely the farther north you go, and it's still pretty rare in SC. There are a lot more bears in NC!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 AM

69 posts, read 322,307 times
Every now and again a bear will make it all the way down to 85 before it's smashed by a car, but in 30 years i've never seen a bear in the wild, in NC or SC.

I've seen 2 snakes as well. One was in my driveway, but I never saw another snake.f

Never seen a mountain lion either.

AS a matter of fact most of the wildlife I do see is roadkill.

If you live near any woods you might see possums out at night.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:05 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,276 times
To JuneMMT
Just to let you know, I don't think your question was strange.
I totally understand where you are coming from. People who have lived in an area all their life tend to forget that people from the outside hear "stories" about different areas and those stories are usually embellished and exaggerated but never the less, makes you stop and wonder.
I'm a Canadian living in the USA and you wouldn't believe the questions I've a gotten over the years about Canada! Everything from the fears of these deadly snow storms and freezing to death....to wondering if we had escalators in Canada???.......
I used to shake my head at first.......until I humbled myself and realized...."Hey, it's not a stupid question to this person. Goodness knows what they have heard or read about Canada." I'm just glad to "clear" up any misconceptions when they ask........

warning: Joke coming up......

Of course, I have a bit of a chuckle to myself when I go back to my igloo and drink my maple syrup and wait for my "fisherman" husband to return home so he can "shovel" me and the kids out of the igloo. Then we go down to a local pub so we can drink some "beer" and watch the hockey game.....but we first have to feed the pet Moose and beaver, because they might get hungry before we return, "eh". Now, I know we Canadians aren't a very educated bunch....but we like to get "oout and aboot" every now and then and make friends since we are such a friendly bunch." LOL

All joking aside....We shouldn't be surprised when others don't know that much about the enviromental aspect of certain regions or countries. Reading about a place and LIVING there are two totally different experiences. That is why it's nice to have forums like these......to ask questions and become informed!

P.S. My family and I are thinking of moving to Greenville also.....and if I had not lived in Tampa for a couple of years......I probably would have asked the same questions about the snakes. I HATE snakes!!
In Florida, they really weren't that bad or should I say.......you wouldl rarely see them like the previous posts stated, unless you are in their habitat. I assume the same would be said about Greenville. One thing I really like is the absence of aligators in Greenville!! I hated that about Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area