U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 51,331 times

Advertisements

I, my husband, and our 3 children(2grls,1boy/ages 4,9,&15) are moving from Maryland to be closer to our families. My parents live in Athens, Ga and my husband's parents live in Ashville,NC; so our target area is somewhere around Greenville and Spartanburg and anywhere in between. Even though we both grew up in the south, niether of us have visited these areas. We want someplace that's not too congested but not completely secluded; however we would like a good chunk of land and would like to build a house. We like to go to the movies, play at the park, and go out to eat on the weekends; but our most important priorities our education and safety for our children. On the map between Greenville and Spartanburg I see Greer, Duncan, Lyman, Spaulding Lake, Mauldin...., I would love to hear some opinions of these areas or any others around there,we arn't too constricted. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2006, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 22,294 times
Hello,
I just moved here from NY about 3 months ago.
Its a great place to live. I live in Simpsonville,SC. Just 10 minutes south of greenville. The schools are awesome , the place is really clean, planty to do and not too congested.
Greatest move I ever made.
Hope this helps.
Christian

Old 05-08-2006, 07:22 AM

33 posts, read 151,906 times
I moved to Inman SC from California in November and love it here. I would check into Boiling Springs area which is about 5 miles north of Spartanburg. My daughter is 6 and is in a new school and has 20 kids in here class. The schools control the kids not the other way. They are very structured with the kids and my daughter loves it here.
Scott

Old 05-08-2006, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 51,331 times
Your help is greatly appreciated. Keep 'em coming!

Old 05-17-2006, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 31,349 times
Smile Simpsonville, SC

Hey, my name is Trey Folmar, my wife and two children Davis, and Lucy we just relocated from south Alabama to Simpsonville, SC with my job. We so far love it! Everyone seems to be so nice and there is alot to do here. We are renting a home for a year to see where to buy a home. Simpsonville, and Mauldin are cheaper to live then Greenville. We are investagating the schools now and they seem great so far. My son is four and daughter is 2. I have great neighbors and I feel like i'm in a wonderland or something, everyday I get blown away with some kind of praise for Greenville/Simpsonville, SC It's true about their car tags"Beautiful places and smilling faces" Please let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck. T

Old 08-17-2008, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 28,117 times
I know the following areas pretty well. Spartanburg, Greenville, Landrum, Columbus, Hendersonville, Tryon.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-18-2008 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: No advertising, please.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 PM

559 posts, read 1,310,817 times
The schools in any area of Greenville county are pretty good. Wade Hampton and Mauldin high schools are pretty large for smaller town schools. Greenville is not bad to live in , but has some rough areas mixed in with great areas. I would recommend Simpsonville. Decent schools, no rough areas that I know of, close to everything, great parks, cute dowtown area. Easy access to 385 and 85. Small, but not too small, not congested at all. I have lived in Mauldin, Simpsonville, Greenville, Downtown Greenville and areas like Tigerville, Greer and Taylors. Taylors is also another great town, although really considered "Greenville", it is a very nice area as well.
This is all based on opinion, though. I would recommend visiting these places before making a decision. I personally, do not like Greenville at all, but I see the benefits of raising children here.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:11 PM

559 posts, read 1,310,817 times
P.S- Greer is a smaller "suburb" of Greenville, but it also has a very cute "downtown" area, but is a little further out from the main attractions of Greenville. Not too far, but not as close to things such as the mall, the movies, downtown and Falls Park.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:08 PM

5,893 posts, read 11,393,478 times
I live in Greer but much closer to the East side of Greenville than some of Greer. I'm within a short drive of GSP Airport (but hear no planes), all the restaurants on Pelham near I-85, Haywood Mall (and 385), Wade Hampton Blvd. and within 13-15 minutes of downtown Greenville. I came from a suburb of Chicago and find it to be everything I hoped for and more. It is just a beautiful area to live in, easy to get around, great people, and a much better quality of life in general.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:05 PM

94 posts, read 348,352 times
I live in Duncan, home of Byrnes High School which has a good reputation. I can't speak for the primary schools here as I'll soon be a grandmother.

It's a small, quiet town but the Main St area needs revitalization. They are building a water park here for the kids and later a section for adults too. It's close to I-85 and I-26, the airport, BMW, Pelham Road and anything you want to access easily. Low crime too, as Duncan has more police officers per capita than any city/town/community in SC.

I would recommend Inman as well. It's a town poised for great things, but once again I can't comment on the schools. Taylors is nice, and would be a choice if I was looking.

From what I understand Boiling Springs is growing so fast it's becoming congested, but I've never been there so that's only a rumor

Good luck on choosing a place to live in the upstate. I lived in Asheville before moving here and was just there yesterday. It's a nice 55 minute drive from my house.

Susan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area