U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 AM
 
41 posts, read 23,843 times
Reputation: 58

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
OP - I'm curious as to your opinion of the SC summers vs the Michigan summers? Is it unbearable or tolerable to you? (Trying to convince hubby that SC summers aren't THAT bad!)
Overall, I like it here in the summer. Last summer was horrible for me. It was terribly hot and it was my first summer in the South since I was in the Marines back in the early 1970's. But I think that even more than the heat, the lack of rain bothered me the most. This summer (my 2nd here) was better, probably because I am more accustomed to it now and also because it was not as hot and dry as my first one. We got hot days in my part of Michigan, too.....I have seen 104F there for a few days many years ago and days in the 90's do happen. They just don't don't normally last more than a few days in a row before dropping back down into the mid-80's. Humidity can get intense there in the summer, too...but I think it is more humid here on average. SC summers here are definitely hotter than it was in Michigan but not as bad as I imagined it would be if this summer is more normal than my first summer here was.

I think of it this way: In Michigan, I would mostly stay indoors in the winter with the heat on. Here I stay indoors in the summer with the A/C on. But...here you can go out in the summer evenings and the temp is usually not too bad at all. Michigan winters are COLD day and night! AND...in our winters here, I never have to put on a hat, coat, gloves and boots just to go out to the mailbox like I would have to do in Michigan. Add to that, the sun actually shines here a lot of days in the 2 winters I have been here. That is a HUGE PLUS. Back where I lived in Michigan, Lake Michigan was a cloud-generating machine. Most days were gray and overcast in the winter and that really does wear people down. Gloomy is a good description for winter near the big lake!

My late brother-in-law was from the South and he always told me that the 90/90/90 rule applies. This is 90 or more days of 90+ degrees and 90%+ humidity. That seems like a worst-case scenario for Greenville from what I have experienced so far but my BIL was from hotter parts of the South.

My wife is from the Philippines and one of the really hot parts at that. She has been here in the US 10 yrs now and still shrugs-off 90F days like a duck sheds water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2017, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Upstate SC
913 posts, read 2,307,000 times
Reputation: 885
Cheese curds. You can get them at Ingles, but they're not fresh like you can get them in the upper midwest. Or the fried ones you can get around here at Culver's or A&W, they're not at all like the fresh fried ones you would get at festivals or fairs up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 03:48 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 3,056,103 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_96SC View Post
I'm not really a transplant being originally from SC, but do miss a couple of things from the various states I've lived in.

Meijer's is a great store. I do miss those from my Michigan days. They come as far south as Lexington, KY IIRC.

I miss Wawa from my Philadelphia days. Slam dunk for morning coffee and a hot sandwich. And of course cheesteaks.

I miss the beach in FL... The wind coming from off the ocean, the smell of salt air. And being able to get fresh seafood pretty much anywhere.
If Meijer ever comes further south of Lexington it looks like to me opening stores in Knoxville TN then Greenville would be the next logical markets for them. Both similar towns as Lexington. Walmart has both areas covered so well though they may not want to venture this far south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Ohio
193 posts, read 114,371 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by slong115 View Post
Overall, I like it here in the summer. Last summer was horrible for me. It was terribly hot and it was my first summer in the South since I was in the Marines back in the early 1970's. But I think that even more than the heat, the lack of rain bothered me the most. This summer (my 2nd here) was better, probably because I am more accustomed to it now and also because it was not as hot and dry as my first one. We got hot days in my part of Michigan, too.....I have seen 104F there for a few days many years ago and days in the 90's do happen. They just don't don't normally last more than a few days in a row before dropping back down into the mid-80's. Humidity can get intense there in the summer, too...but I think it is more humid here on average. SC summers here are definitely hotter than it was in Michigan but not as bad as I imagined it would be if this summer is more normal than my first summer here was.
Thank you for the feedback. One other question...how are the winters there? My husband use to live in NC and said the winters were dreadfully cold and wet...like the kind of cold wet that cuts right through you. I am hoping SC isn't quite like what he experienced in NC. How would you describe the winters there?

I think we may be leaning towards living in SC full time but 'summering' in Michigan...but I guess it would depend on the winters in SC. We don't mind a little cold and snow, but sure would like to see the sun more in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
11,789 posts, read 26,707,748 times
Reputation: 4503
B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Thank you for the feedback. One other question...how are the winters there? My husband use to live in NC and said the winters were dreadfully cold and wet...like the kind of cold wet that cuts right through you. I am hoping SC isn't quite like what he experienced in NC. How would you describe the winters there?

I think we may be leaning towards living in SC full time but 'summering' in Michigan...but I guess it would depend on the winters in SC. We don't mind a little cold and snow, but sure would like to see the sun more in the winter.
We get a decent amount of sun in Greenville during the winter. It gets colder than I like but typically warms up in the day. IMHO, it is different than NC. Greenville doesn't get near as much rain as NC either. Either way, it will be much better than Michigan It's one thing I definitely don't miss from up north. BTW, I am speaking about what I experienced in Asheville and Greenville.

Last edited by beckycat; 09-23-2017 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 11:51 PM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,269 posts, read 18,829,599 times
Reputation: 3496
I can't read all the responses now but wanted to give my 2 cents!

I've lived in lots of different places as a child; the longest (so far) in Chicago, Illinois. I couldn't wait to get out of that city; never wanted to be there in the first place when my Father got transferred when I was in 9th grade in Upstate New York.

Pizza and friends is what I miss the most. I'm a loner; don't have many friends in Greenville and don't have money to get out and go to places where I might find some.

Pizza...Vito and Nick's on the southwest side of Chicago. Almost worth the trip but now that I've been widowed not likely to happen!

Chinese...the Chinese food in Greenville is a far cry from Chicago Chinese restaurants.

Snow, no; high gas prices, no; high taxes, no!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 12:02 PM
 
41 posts, read 23,843 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Thank you for the feedback. One other question...how are the winters there? My husband use to live in NC and said the winters were dreadfully cold and wet...like the kind of cold wet that cuts right through you. I am hoping SC isn't quite like what he experienced in NC. How would you describe the winters there?

I think we may be leaning towards living in SC full time but 'summering' in Michigan...but I guess it would depend on the winters in SC. We don't mind a little cold and snow, but sure would like to see the sun more in the winter.
Based on my 2-yr experience, I think you will like it here. My 'test sample' is only two winters so far but here are my thoughts. My first winter here we had one decent snow of about 3" that lasted on the ground for a few days before melting. Of course, that is just a 'dusting of snow' by Michigan standards but it was nice to see. It covered the ground so that you really couldn't see the grass underneath for about a day...then melted over the next few days. Last year we had only an actual dusting where you could see snow but also the grass underneath it. It melted that same day as I recall. I was a bit disappointed at how little snow we got but it was at least 'something'. It does seem to rain more here in the winter as opposed to snow but that is because it tends to be above freezing many days. A wet, rainy cold does seem to chill me a bit here, too, but it is better than the -20's I have experienced back in Michigan. Winter here seems more like late-October/November would be in Michigan. I am sure the area must get worse winters than the ones I have seen, though.

I have to tell you that I really like the winters here in Greenville from the two I have experienced so far. Most of all, the sunshine even when it is colder, makes things nice. I have not experienced an ice storm here yet but have many years ago in another part of the South. That was not fun at all. Where I was at the time (Oxford, MS) they had no ability to salt/gravel the roads so they were ice-skating rinks for about 3 days. Even the snowfalls I have experienced here did not shutdown any businesses that I am aware of.

My sister lives in Charleston and I much prefer living here. We do get a true '4-seasons' of weather, it seems and the fall colors are just as good down here as they were back in Michigan. She gets some very light snow and some ice some winters in her 'neck-o-the-woods' but I think we get more of the 4-season experience here in the Upstate and I love that. As hot as the summers are here, I think Charleston is worse.

Oh....if you do move down here and the weather forecast calls for snow, expect the grocery stores to be filled with people panic-buying and stockpiling food. I was told about this phenomenon by some local people my wife and I became friends with when we first moved down here in the fall of 2015. That winter there was a forecast of 6" of snow (didn't happen, though) and my wife decided we needed some items for dinner that night. We went to the Food Lion on W. Georgia Rd and the parking lot was nearly full. I shop there a lot and had never seen it so busy before. As we went into the store, a guy who was coming out said "Don't go in there! It's crazy!" The checkout lines were packed with people whose carts were overflowing with enough food to last my wife and I about a month, if not more. We found the few items that we needed for that night but milk, bread, eggs...and BEER were all either totally gone nearly gone as if the end of the world was approaching. My wife actually took some photos of the empty shelves to show to her friends back in Michigan. I had never seen so many empty shelves in a store before. It was like we were shopping in the Soviet Union! Apparently this is a very Southern thing. I can 'almost' understand it as most places don't have the state, county and local snow plow/salt trucks to clear the roads like we are used to back in Michigan.

I haven't seen it here yet, but I have been told that if there is a decent snowfall and the roads are covered, many stores and businesses shut down. I did experience that back in the early 1970's in Cherry Point NC where I was stationed as a Marine. There we had 3" or 4" of snow overnight and every business outside of the base was shut down for 3 whole days. As my late Southern brother-in-law used to say "God brought the snow. He can take it away!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Somewhere, out there in Zone7B
4,859 posts, read 6,296,455 times
Reputation: 4446
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
Cheese curds. You can get them at Ingles, but they're not fresh like you can get them in the upper midwest. Or the fried ones you can get around here at Culver's or A&W, they're not at all like the fresh fried ones you would get at festivals or fairs up north.
Had my first taste of cheese curds a few months ago. Up in Mills River, by the Asheville airport there's the Mills River Creamery that has a ice cream store and sell their dairy products, like fresh cheese curds, as well.

Home - Mills River Creamery

There is a restaurant that's part of the same space on the left. If you go in there and asked for their fried cheese curds they go grab a package out of the case in the creamery and fry them in the lightest batter. They are delicious, and are served with a marinara sauce. They are NOT on the menu, you need to ask for them, and then hope the curds haven't sold out for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 02:20 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,872 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by slong115 View Post
Based on my 2-yr experience, I think you will like it here. My 'test sample' is only two winters so far but here are my thoughts. My first winter here we had one decent snow of about 3" that lasted on the ground for a few days before melting. Of course, that is just a 'dusting of snow' by Michigan standards but it was nice to see. It covered the ground so that you really couldn't see the grass underneath for about a day...then melted over the next few days. Last year we had only an actual dusting where you could see snow but also the grass underneath it. It melted that same day as I recall. I was a bit disappointed at how little snow we got but it was at least 'something'. It does seem to rain more here in the winter as opposed to snow but that is because it tends to be above freezing many days. A wet, rainy cold does seem to chill me a bit here, too, but it is better than the -20's I have experienced back in Michigan. Winter here seems more like late-October/November would be in Michigan. I am sure the area must get worse winters than the ones I have seen, though.

I have to tell you that I really like the winters here in Greenville from the two I have experienced so far. Most of all, the sunshine even when it is colder, makes things nice. I have not experienced an ice storm here yet but have many years ago in another part of the South. That was not fun at all. Where I was at the time (Oxford, MS) they had no ability to salt/gravel the roads so they were ice-skating rinks for about 3 days. Even the snowfalls I have experienced here did not shutdown any businesses that I am aware of.

My sister lives in Charleston and I much prefer living here. We do get a true '4-seasons' of weather, it seems and the fall colors are just as good down here as they were back in Michigan. She gets some very light snow and some ice some winters in her 'neck-o-the-woods' but I think we get more of the 4-season experience here in the Upstate and I love that. As hot as the summers are here, I think Charleston is worse.

Oh....if you do move down here and the weather forecast calls for snow, expect the grocery stores to be filled with people panic-buying and stockpiling food. I was told about this phenomenon by some local people my wife and I became friends with when we first moved down here in the fall of 2015. That winter there was a forecast of 6" of snow (didn't happen, though) and my wife decided we needed some items for dinner that night. We went to the Food Lion on W. Georgia Rd and the parking lot was nearly full. I shop there a lot and had never seen it so busy before. As we went into the store, a guy who was coming out said "Don't go in there! It's crazy!" The checkout lines were packed with people whose carts were overflowing with enough food to last my wife and I about a month, if not more. We found the few items that we needed for that night but milk, bread, eggs...and BEER were all either totally gone nearly gone as if the end of the world was approaching. My wife actually took some photos of the empty shelves to show to her friends back in Michigan. I had never seen so many empty shelves in a store before. It was like we were shopping in the Soviet Union! Apparently this is a very Southern thing. I can 'almost' understand it as most places don't have the state, county and local snow plow/salt trucks to clear the roads like we are used to back in Michigan.

I haven't seen it here yet, but I have been told that if there is a decent snowfall and the roads are covered, many stores and businesses shut down. I did experience that back in the early 1970's in Cherry Point NC where I was stationed as a Marine. There we had 3" or 4" of snow overnight and every business outside of the base was shut down for 3 whole days. As my late Southern brother-in-law used to say "God brought the snow. He can take it away!"
The "milk, bread, eggs" phenomenon happens from, roughly, Philadelphia south. If the weather forecast includes the dreaded 4 letter word, snow, grocery stores, supermarkets, & convenience stores are mobbed. My experience is that this happens where all or most snows come from nor'easters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Chandler,AZ
392 posts, read 195,586 times
Reputation: 296
From southwest Ohio, just some businesses. Meijer, LaBullBoxer31, White Castle, Penn Station, some others. I miss the easy access to 3 casinos . I miss Kings Island and Cedar Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:40 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top