Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 06:55 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Okay, two of you got me! Portillo's and White Castle, come on down! lol
As mentioned previously, White Castle does not really operate in southern markets, and the similar choice would be Krystal instead. But White Castle and Krystal do briefly overlap in a few areas of Kentucky and Tennessee. But I would love to see a White Castle, but for now you may have to choose the frozen variety at the local supermarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 07:04 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
And since the OP referenced Michigan, I will again suggest a Big Boy Restaurant which is still popular in that state as well as Ohio and Kentucky. I would even settle for a Shoney's, although no longer a Big Boy franchisee. In recent years Big Boy has been closing some poor performing locations, as the family diner segment has struggled a bit. But there are still some good locations out there, and the Frisch's franchise in Ohio and Kentucky is currently doing a good job renovating and revitalizing the brand. And they still have the landmark Bob's Big Boy in Burbank, California and the classic Broiler location in Downey. But bring a Big Boy back to the South like in the heyday where there were Shoney's everywhere with the famous statue standing outside.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:15 PM

26 posts, read 23,538 times
I've only been here a month - just moved from Orange County, CA - and I would love to find some good Chinese food. And what is white sauce in Chinese food?

Old 10-03-2017, 01:28 PM

61 posts, read 50,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
And since the OP referenced Michigan, I will again suggest a Big Boy Restaurant which is still popular in that state as well as Ohio and Kentucky. I would even settle for a Shoney's, although no longer a Big Boy franchisee. In recent years Big Boy has been closing some poor performing locations, as the family diner segment has struggled a bit. But there are still some good locations out there, and the Frisch's franchise in Ohio and Kentucky is currently doing a good job renovating and revitalizing the brand. And they still have the landmark Bob's Big Boy in Burbank, California and the classic Broiler location in Downey. But bring a Big Boy back to the South like in the heyday where there were Shoney's everywhere with the famous statue standing outside.

Ah, yes. Even in my small town area we had a Big Boy. Our's was okay but nothing to rave about. However, I ate at one in Detroit about 8 years ago in an almost empty area of closed businesses, etc. and I was amazed. The place was very clean, the food was fresh and the service was excellent.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:35 PM

348 posts, read 497,035 times
Default Pizza??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
Other than specialty foods, there's nothing I miss about FL or CT. I'd love to get my hands on a real, hot-pressed Cuban sandwich! We seek them out when we visit our son in Tampa. It's harder and more expensive to find good seafood here as well. I've never found pizza like the Italian apizza they sell in New Haven CT.
Try "A Slice of Brooklyn" in Simpsonville. Cosmo and Carmela run a great place. It can get very crowded. Excellent Pizza, Garlic Knots. Try it!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:25 AM

94 posts, read 111,189 times
I grew up in Pennsylvania and then spent twelve years in Florida before moving here two years ago. For me it is mostly food, as other people have said. From PA, it is good NY style pizza. There just isn't anything here, or in Fl, that has compared to the pizza I could get back home. That, and the ham and cheese on pretzel bread from Sheetz. That is my guilty pleasure. From FL, a proper Cuban sandwich, good fresh seafood, and the overall abundance of choices. While I really hated the heat, and wasn't much of a beach person, I really miss going out to a thatched roof beach bar overlooking the gulf and drinking beer and eating seafood

Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 AM

1,016 posts, read 307,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuguy2 View Post
Try "A Slice of Brooklyn" in Simpsonville. Cosmo and Carmela run a great place. It can get very crowded. Excellent Pizza, Garlic Knots. Try it!
Great info! Real Italian pizza, the kind DH and I got growing up in NYC, is near impossible to find around here. I think we might look this place up. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2017, 10:37 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman39 View Post
I grew up in Pennsylvania and then spent twelve years in Florida before moving here two years ago. For me it is mostly food, as other people have said. From PA, it is good NY style pizza. There just isn't anything here, or in Fl, that has compared to the pizza I could get back home. That, and the ham and cheese on pretzel bread from Sheetz. That is my guilty pleasure. From FL, a proper Cuban sandwich, good fresh seafood, and the overall abundance of choices. While I really hated the heat, and wasn't much of a beach person, I really miss going out to a thatched roof beach bar overlooking the gulf and drinking beer and eating seafood
Wow, you sound just like me minus the seafood! Same situation. Born in NY (5 years)- grew up in PA- FL (13 years) -Greenville (4 years). I miss the outdoor bar/restaurants and entertainment on the water in FL. You could feel like you were on vacation instantaneously even though you actually weren't. The only negative I had, like you mentioned, was how long the heat lasted. I miss the food, especially NY Pizza which is my favorite. There was a really good place I finally found in Asheville but they closed . They say it all has to do with the water and how the dough rises.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:02 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
What is different between NY pizza and most pizza in Greenville? I worked up in nothern NJ across the river from Manhattan for awhile, and I never noticed any difference. Many of the local pizza places in Greenville/ Upstate pitch their pizza as NY style. Pizza City New York Style, Tony's New York Style Pizzeria are two examples.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 840 times
Totally agree with REAL pizza!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area