U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 8,834 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to relocate from Long Island, NY to the Greenville area next spring/summer. Has anyone used PODS for a long distance move. Any advice/experiences or other options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 11:18 PM

41 posts, read 23,297 times
I moved my son from Long Island to Greenville using a rental van for fragile and personal items and a pod for everything else. They have a few sizes and drop off when your ready, then when you fill it up they pick it up and drop off to you on a date you select or you can store pod in their warehouse for $80-120 a month. U-Haul also has a similar service but I found it more costly. I packed unit tight and also used a screw gun and placed wood on walls and floor to keep items in place. I also used straps. Bottom line it arrived safe and I had all fragile and personal items so I never had to worry about broken or missing items. Good Luck!!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the info

Old 09-20-2017, 08:31 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,975,172 times
How clean are these pods? Do you have to worry about bedbugs or roaches or any other hideous insects?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:28 PM

41 posts, read 23,297 times
They are sterilized before delivery. It is only wood and corrugated plastic with a garage door. Nothing for insects to hide in. I can’t speak on PODS storage facilities as I had it delivered in 2 Days.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:09 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,975,172 times
That's nice to know. Thanks. I may use them whenever I move.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:10 AM

PODS seems like the best way to move long distance. I'm not sure exactly where we will be living so most of the non essentials can stay in storage until we get jobs. I want to stay flexible in case we have to move to a different area of the state. Looking forward to leaving newyorkastan and living free.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:41 AM

11,828 posts, read 26,806,955 times
Welcome from LI. Before we moved here, we looked into PODS. We decided against them because they were approximately 3 times as much as just getting a Uhaul and putting our belongings into storage ourselves. It maybe better for your situation though since you don't know where you will end up. Good luck with your move

Old 09-26-2017, 08:12 PM

128 posts, read 150,958 times
I used ABF Freight to move my daughters household goods from Florida to Minnesota, with a storage lag in between. There was no damage to the goods. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 PM

109 posts, read 57,253 times
Hi all,

I am starting to plan a move to Wyoming from Tennessee and was also wondering about PODS. I am having trouble just trying to get a price estimate (ballpark figure). I'm not at the point where I want to give PODS all of my information and sit on the phone for hours. Just curious if anybody has used them and what it cost, please include where to where your move was so I can get a rough idea what my cost would be. I even tried to get a really rough estimate out of them and they wouldn't give me one. I asked him "would it be closer to $500 or $10,000" and he wouldn't even give me that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or