U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 05:07 PM

7,533 posts, read 3,939,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Waterside Greene is a primary location for ICAR students without cars, and has long been a preferred stop for shuttles, etc.

Car operations costs go towards maintenance, insurance, and fluids, well over $1000. Money that can be applied toward education to springboard students into a career instead of debt that traps them for the rest of their lives.

And the Center for Manufacturing Innovation is a poster child for students who need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get a career for a reasonable investment in time and educational expenses. These students won't have money to splurge on a car for a variety of reasons. Having the CMI served by bus lines gives them a chance to succeed.
So they can afford tuition at Clemson, an apartment at Watergreene with utilities, but they can't afford a car or find a ride with a friend?

HOw do they get to places not on the Greenlink route? Why is the mall on that route if they don't have any money?

How are they able to get to interviews at companies after they graduate? There probably won't be a bus to take them to potential employers for an interview..

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-20-2018 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 05:09 PM

10,338 posts, read 20,590,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
If the south is so bad, why do so many people move here.

I think the middle class users of the bus system ought to be paying higher fares.

You could also donate money to the bus system.
Did I say the south was bad? I’ve lived in Greenville my entire life. I’d rather give my money to charity instead.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Did I say the south was bad? I’d rather give my money to charity instead.
I thought that is what you were implying.

I think the bus system in Greenville is on par with similar size cities outside of the south with similar dynamics.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:16 PM

10,338 posts, read 20,590,982 times
Quote:
I thought that is what you were implying.

I think the bus system in Greenville is on par with similar size cities outside of the south with similar dynamics.
Definitely not. I was just saying that the south overall has subpar mass transit compared to the rest of the country.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Definitely not. I was just saying that the south overall has subpar mass transit compared to the rest of the country.
Charleston doesn't have same dynamics as Greenville. It has several large colleges downtown plus a lot more tourism.

And just because Charleston has more buses doesn't mean they are necessary or could not be funded with user fees.

I would think Atlanta, Charlotte and other large metros in the south have more extensive mass transit than smaller metros outside of the south. Mass transit becomes more viable as population increases because commute times are so high it is as time efficient to use mass transit.

Driving from Waterford Greene on Woodruff to ICAR is going be much quicker than riding the bus.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-20-2018 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 08:58 AM

493 posts, read 206,977 times
Quote:
What bus routes have you taken in Greenville and how often did you ride them? I can't see why a visitor would be riding a bus in Greenville unless you mean the downtown trolley. Most of the buses run to areas the average visitor would not visit.

I would think USC and other colleges being located in downtown Columbia boosts the bus ridership. I think I read the Clemson-Seneca-Anderson bus system had the 2nd highest ridership in the state.
I donít have to ride a bus to be able to look inside and see how dead it is.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,120,144 times
Quote:
So they can afford tuition at Clemson, an apartment at Watergreene with utilities, but they can't afford a car or find a ride with a friend?

HOw do they get to places not on the Greenlink route? Why is the mall on that route if they don't have any money?

How are they able to get to interviews at companies after they graduate? There probably won't be a bus to take them to potential employers for an interview..
I'm pretty sure this route is at least partially funded by Clemson's student bus fee. Some of the students in the program are foreign students that don't have a license to drive in the US.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I don’t have to ride a bus to be able to look inside and see how dead it is.
Ok, so you live in Columbia but you've spent a significant amount of time in Greenville looking into buses that you don't ride. I don't see how a non-user of the bus system can be a credible reviewer. You are the same person that said Clemson is an easy college even though you didn't attend Clemson.

If it is true that the buses are empty , then it is amusing people are saying the bus system is subpar. A service is being provided despite little demand for it.

I've been on the Greenville bus a few times. There were 10 people or so and some people got off and other people got on. And it was on schedule.

One day I'm going to ride the one that runs between ICAR and the mall to see how many people are on it.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-21-2018 at 10:14 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 PM

673 posts, read 351,487 times
I'm late to this conversation, but a few years ago the guy who ran the CAT spoke at my Rotary Club, ( boy, that dates me).

He bragged that CAT had better cash flow BECAUSE IT WAS FREE! He said that the per head federal subsidy on free buses was more than he could hope to clear by charging a fee, and that he now was a successful consultant helping other small cities make their bus systems FREE to get bigger federal subsidies!

Me and the other old goats at Rotary looked at each other dumbfounded.

I guess that bussing foreign students for free to ICAR/Greenville goes further toward making Clemson a "world class university" than educating more SC kids with modest means.

He then went on to say that some of the extra cash flow was being used to promote CAT as something other than the Looser Cruiser, so I guess the "cool kids" at Clemson now ride the bus.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:08 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,120,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I'm late to this conversation, but a few years ago the guy who ran the CAT spoke at my Rotary Club, ( boy, that dates me).

He bragged that CAT had better cash flow BECAUSE IT WAS FREE! He said that the per head federal subsidy on free buses was more than he could hope to clear by charging a fee, and that he now was a successful consultant helping other small cities make their bus systems FREE to get bigger federal subsidies!

Me and the other old goats at Rotary looked at each other dumbfounded.

I guess that bussing foreign students for free to ICAR/Greenville goes further toward making Clemson a "world class university" than educating more SC kids with modest means.

He then went on to say that some of the extra cash flow was being used to promote CAT as something other than the Looser Cruiser, so I guess the "cool kids" at Clemson now ride the bus.
On campus, pretty much everyone rides the bus. The commuter lots are far enough away from classes in many cases to make it impractical to walk. The buses also run from campus to most of the nearby apartment complexes and shopping. My daughter rarely drove her Freshman year because the bus went almost everywhere she needed to go. So, those "SC kids with modest means" are using the CAT system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or