Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:07 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,119,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
it's most likely just a physical limitation - the WH route can barely cover the route in the time available, much less being able to extend it. An expansion would require a separate extension connector route.
I wonder what the ridership is in the Taylors area is. Not sure what the ridership would before the Greer area. It would be nice to see a couple stops along WH and maybe one by the Greer park.

I would probably take public transportation to really large downtown events. The parking situation is getting so bad downtown that I rarely go down there any more. I can only see it will be getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 11:45 AM

10,106 posts, read 7,313,019 times
Greenville has a bus system with 11 routes, a free downtown trolley, and a bikeshare program. There is also a bus system for handicapped people that picks them up at their house. I don't know how that can be characterized as weak public transportation.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:33 PM

557 posts, read 859,605 times
Get Involved

Upstate Transportation Coalition (UTC)
The UTC is a regional non-profit organization that educates and advocates for expanded and improved multi-modal transportation across Upstate South Carolina. The mission of the Upstate Transportation Coalition is to:
Educate community leaders and citizens on the important role public transportation plays in a growing community;
Disseminate information about public transportation and multi-modal growth initiatives throughout the Upstate region of South Carolina; and
Inform interested parties about specific things they can do to support public transportation.
The UTC meets the second Wednesday of the month at 9:00 a.m. at the Greenville Tech Buck Mickel Center for Corporate and Career Development, 216 S. Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville.Get Involved | Greenville, SC - Official Website

Old 09-23-2017, 03:48 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,729,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I wonder what the ridership is in the Taylors area is. Not sure what the ridership would before the Greer area. It would be nice to see a couple stops along WH and maybe one by the Greer park.

I would probably take public transportation to really large downtown events. The parking situation is getting so bad downtown that I rarely go down there any more. I can only see it will be getting worse.
We go downtown often. We have never had a problem finding a good parking space.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:13 PM

34 posts, read 28,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
We go downtown often. We have never had a problem finding a good parking space.
I totaly agree. I go downtown multiple times a week and not only do I never have trouble parking, but I also always park for free. I hear complaints about parking downtown all the time. I don't get it. County Square has an insane amount of free parking spaces. Richardson Street garage is free on the weekends. All garages are free for the first hour. Parking downtown is easy.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:39 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,912,549 times
I also find free parking always in downtown Sometimes, I might have to drive around a couple times unless I park at County Square and take the trolley. OTOH, I do think the bus should run up Wade Hampton to Greer. If it goes to Taylors, I don't see why it can't continue onto Greer. I'm surprised they haven't done this yet.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:03 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,258,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Greenlink is improving, but why is Greenville's public transportation so sparse, compared to peer cities? And has Greenville's public transportation been sparse, even in, say, the 1950s and 1960s?

I would assume that since Greenville isn't that big, doesn't have a massive urbanized area where tens of thousands of people commute to work, is pretty conservative politically and doesn't have a lot of poor people, cars suffice and mass transit isn't viewed as a necessity by anyone--right?

Are there any local groups that are pressing to significantly expand mass transit?

Thanks.
I think it's pretty similar to other cities in the US of similar size, particularly if you compare it to other cities in the south.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:10 PM

47 posts, read 34,080 times
This is a good video of why public transport sucks in the USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cjfTG8DbwA

Old 09-26-2017, 12:45 PM

4,149 posts, read 6,841,024 times
I definitely agree that public transportation in Greenville was weak during my time there but I also can't think of many cities of a similar size in the south that do much better to be honest. Parking downtown was never an issue for me - and I was downtown multiple times a week (almost always found a spot in the Richardson st garage). However, I have been away a year and a half now and I know downtown continues to explode with growth so I dont doubt things might have changed.

How is the uber/lyft/rideshare situation in Greenville these days?

Old 09-26-2017, 02:46 PM

825 posts, read 1,116,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I definitely agree that public transportation in Greenville was weak during my time there but I also can't think of many cities of a similar size in the south that do much better to be honest. Parking downtown was never an issue for me - and I was downtown multiple times a week (almost always found a spot in the Richardson st garage). However, I have been away a year and a half now and I know downtown continues to explode with growth so I dont doubt things might have changed.

How is the uber/lyft/rideshare situation in Greenville these days?
I don't think the Parking situation has really changed that much. If you want to find free parking right near your destination your probably going to have a hard time, unless your destination is by the Richardson St garage on the weekend. If your willing to pay, parking is easy.

I've done Uber to and from my house in 5 forks to the airport numerous times. No issues whatsoever, the longest wait was probably 15 minutes, but generally it was 5-10. Not sure I would rely on it for an early morning flight, but for afternoon/evening flights it worked very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area