U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 02:10 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,853,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Transit probably could be better. Need to work on the stigma that buses are only for the certain people. I plan to try it.
Yep this is true. There's definitely a stigma with buses being full of the poor and scary and only for the carless. Working to get rid of that stigma would go a long way.

And then there's the issue of buses just taking too long and going too slow. Imo Greenville and the Upstate is too small and spread out for dedicated bus lanes and express buses, but it'd be worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 09:11 PM

4,536 posts, read 6,369,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yep this is true. There's definitely a stigma with buses being full of the poor and scary and only for the carless. Working to get rid of that stigma would go a long way.

And then there's the issue of buses just taking too long and going too slow. Imo Greenville and the Upstate is too small and spread out for dedicated bus lanes and express buses, but it'd be worth looking into.
What area in SC is large enough? Greenville is the largest metro area and the upstate is the most populated region.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:44 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,853,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
What area in SC is large enough? Greenville is the largest metro area and the upstate is the most populated region.
Nowhere. If SC was more like New Jersey I could see it. Everything is too spread out. Plus we're cheap. The Upstate may be the largest region, but it's pretty much low sprawl to pastures from Anderson to Greenville to Spartanburg. Buses can be more efficient without paving a right of way just for them or having express.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:20 AM

3,201 posts, read 5,009,872 times
Buses definitely have a stigma in the south in general (doesnt stop me but I've heard plenty of people make jokes about buses/people on buses etc.). So that combined with the fact that the buses were just not frequent enough and the rides too long made them not a great option when I lived in Greenville. But once again, I didn't notice this being much different than any other similar sized city in the south, so it's not some unique mark against Greenville.

Last edited by Sunbather; 10-11-2017 at 12:24 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 01:54 PM

7,523 posts, read 3,933,942 times
I read the Greenville News article and it tries to claim Greenville's bus system is underfunded simply because other 'peer' cities spend more on their bus systems.

It doesn't provide any evidence that those bus systems are superior to Greenville's bus system and it seems highly unlikely that Columbia, Chattanoooga, Birmingham, etc have superior bus systems.

It is interesting that some people assume that spending the most is the right amount of funding. I don't think it would be good stewardship of taxpayer money to simply copy every spending decision of other cites.

I've been in the south most of my life and I never heard anybody beat up on buses. Most people own cars and like driving.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-11-2017 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 02:45 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,104,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
It doesn't provide any evidence that those bus systems are superior to Greenville's bus system and it seems highly unlikely that Columbia, Chattanoooga, Birmingham, etc have superior bus systems.
It's pretty simple, they run 30 minute route intervals, so the variable costs will be twice that of Greenville. The slack time when matching a rider's schedule to a job or doctor's appointment would save an average of an hour per round trip.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:47 PM

So you know for certain all those cities run 30 minute interval bus schedules?

Most of those cities have large universities downtown so they likely to have a higher ridership due to that alone.

It seems to me if there are 30 minute bus intervals, the buses would not be traveling that far, and riders would often need to get on another bus to reach their destination.

I saw the Comet bus system in Columbia has a 2.1 out of 5 rating on Google reviews, and 2.3 out of 5 on Facebook, despite Columbia spending much more on it than Greenville.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-11-2017 at 03:07 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I read the Greenville News article and it tries to claim Greenville's bus system is underfunded simply because other 'peer' cities spend more on their bus systems.

It is interesting that some people assume that spending the most is the right amount of funding. I don't think it would be good stewardship of taxpayer money to simply copy every spending decision of other cites.

I've been in the south most of my life and I never heard anybody beat up on buses. Most people own cars and like driving.
It almost never failed if I mentioned to someone that I was going to take the bus to get somewhere that they 'jokingly' mentioned me being brave, or bringing antibacterial soap with me, or showering afterward, or asking 'do you not have a car' or if i was 'trying to go green' or any variant of it being unsafe, unclear, for someone who can't afford a car, or that you needed some unique motive to decide to use public transit. Co-workers, neighbors, strangers you'd meet at bars. But this wasn't just Greenville (although I heard it the most there). I heard it in Charlotte as well when I lived there. Living in Dallas now, I hear the same thing about buses. And, even though a decent amount of professionals take the train to work downtown, I still got lots of 'warnings' when I first moved here about taking the train, especially at night.

In general, public transportation has pretty open stigma, even if you have managed to not come across it. Perhaps it's because you don't take public transportation and thus don't talk about it much?

And yes, I agree that most people own cars and like driving. I own a car and dislike driving; I prefer a bike and public transit. But that doesn't relate to public transportation having a stigma or not.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:35 PM

Ok, I don't know how you can know how other people view public transportation if you haven't talked to them about it. I've been in the Upstate since 1996 and I wouldn't feel comfortable asserting most people have a certain view about public transportation because I don't even know 1 percent of the people living here, and I haven't talked with the people I know about how they view it.

Most middle class people have cars and I would assume prefer to drive because it is much more convenient so riding the bus isn't on the radar. My belief is most people drive because they like cars and driving, not because they have a stigma about mass transit. The decision to drive a car isn't a least bad alternative kind of decision.

I'm pretty sure most people do not care if you use public transportation. People generally are focused on themselves.

The reason that we have bus systems and other mass transit is to help the poor. It wasn't intended for middle class people. It doesn't make sense for middle class people to pay for mass transit for middle class people who can afford to pay for their transportation choices. Car drivers are already paying for cars, car maintenance, gas, gas tax, insurance, DMV fees, etc.

I find it pretty jarring when I see people say 'we' are 'cheap' when it comes to funding mass transit, given most people paying for mass transit don't even use it, and pay for it in addition to the high cost of owning a car.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-11-2017 at 04:10 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Ok, I don't know how you can know how other people view public transportation if you haven't talked to them about it. I've been in the Upstate since 1996 and I wouldn't feel comfortable asserting most people have a certain view about public transportation because I don't even know 1 percent of the people living here, and I haven't talked with the people I know about how they view it.

Most middle class people have cars and I would assume prefer to drive because it is much more convenient so riding the bus isn't on the radar. My belief is most people drive because they like cars and driving, not because they have a stigma about mass transit.

I'm pretty sure most people do not care if you use public transportation. People generally are focused on themselves.

The reason that we have bus systems and other mass transit is to help the poor. It wasn't intended for middle class people. It doesn't make sense for middle class people to pay for mass transit for middle class people who can afford to pay for their transportation choices. Car drivers are already paying for cars, car maintenance, gas tax, insurance, DMV fees, etc.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here because my previous post addressed this specifically: I HAVE talked to many people about public transportation and that is exactly what I am basing my stigma on. Am I missing something here? Something having a stigma doesn't mean that all people (or even 'most') think this way about something. But there are, without a doubt, many people who have negative ideas about or look down upon public transportation. That is the stigma.

And I agreed with you about middle class people owning cars and preferring to drive. I don't think, nor ever said, that everyone drives because of a stigma about public transit. This fact can be true and public transit still have a stigma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or