U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:19 PM

15,805 posts, read 13,496,742 times

Advertisements

Bennigan's
Donato's
MOD Pizza
Shake Shack
Steak and Ale

Bennigan's has resurrected Steak and Ale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:26 AM

5,059 posts, read 5,652,315 times
Millennials are killing the casual dining chains. The growth of fast-casual chains such as Panera and Chipotle have been especially harmful. These chains can offer lower prices to millennial customers, who are less enthused about spending more money just for the experience of sitting in a booth at a casual-dining joint.

Millennials also are preferring chains that deliver or services such as Blue Apron instead of sitting in a restaurant. This may not be the case everywhere, like Greenville, but all reports are saying this is the trend nationally.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:55 AM

287 posts, read 311,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Millennials are killing the casual dining chains.
Casual dining chains are killing the casual dining chains. I'm pushing 40 -- hardly a millennial! -- and cannot picture a scenario in which I'd ever willingly eat at Applebee's or Buffalo Wild Wings. I can get vastly superior versions of the same things -- often with better service, better atmosphere, and a lower price -- at locally owned restaurants or smaller, regional chains.

This article pretty much sums up how I feel.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:18 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,240,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Millennials are killing the casual dining chains. The growth of fast-casual chains such as Panera and Chipotle have been especially harmful. These chains can offer lower prices to millennial customers, who are less enthused about spending more money just for the experience of sitting in a booth at a casual-dining joint.

Millennials also are preferring chains that deliver or services such as Blue Apron instead of sitting in a restaurant. This may not be the case everywhere, like Greenville, but all reports are saying this is the trend nationally.
Where are the millennials going to work after everything has moved online?

Old 10-12-2017, 08:03 AM

912 posts, read 421,299 times
Meh... whichever new restaurant comes to Greenville will probably just end up on Woodruff Rd anyway lol.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:14 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,315,966 times
USN is dead on the money. I'm GenX but our dining habits have evolved as well. ON the occasion that I go out for lunch (usually work related or to catch up with a friend), Panera is my go-to.... healthy options drives my choice there. Sometimes a girl just has to have a taco and then it's a locally owned Mexican place. On weekends, DH and I will alternate between good locally owned barbecue joints, a locally owned place for steaks but usually eat at home the majority of the time. Thankfully, healthy eating is top of mind for us. All of the news stories about tainted food, rat meat being served as chicken wings, etc... as well as a cancer scare caused us to look at what we consume. We tried Blue Apron for a while and it did help me to discover some new ingredients and methods of food prep but overall, I still prefer hitting the local farmer's market once per week and cooking at home. Thankfully we live in a place where we can source locally grown, pesticide free produce and wonderful organic, grass fed beef, chickens, etc... Our health is wealth.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:06 AM

658 posts, read 801,298 times
Whataburger. Had it while on vacation last year and thought it was great for fast food.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:42 PM

10,875 posts, read 23,713,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Breugger's Bagels; Doc Chey's (I really miss DC - I go there every chance I'm in Asheville/Atlanta)
Oh yeah, Doc Chey's is good. Unfortunately, they just closed the one in Asheville The closest is ATL.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:44 PM

10,875 posts, read 23,713,242 times
We prefer locally owned restaurants than chains. Don't you guys get sick of burger joints? It's nice to have diversity.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:57 PM

87 posts, read 34,879 times
Would be nice to have some better burrito joints. Chipotle was just ok but stopped going there after the food safety issues and the news stories broke about how they treat their employees. Salsaritas and Moe's are mediocre. A Freebird's or Uberrito would do well here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area