U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Status: "chasing waterfalls in Waterfall City" (set 20 days ago)

4,496 posts, read 1,923,363 times

Advertisements

Greenville will most likely be getting a Smashburger and a Newk's Eatery because they are in Columbia already.

Newk's is run by the same people who started McAlister's Deli. It is more like Schlotzsky's with pizza and sandwiches on the menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 12:50 PM

4,414 posts, read 2,562,801 times
If Sesame Burger in Charleston ever expands, you should pray the Upstate is where they look. One of my favorite restaurants period. Good grassfed beef and free range chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We prefer locally owned restaurants than chains. Don't you guys get sick of burger joints? It's nice to have diversity.
No because theres more than burgers. Plenty of good chains and locals around. Plenty of bad chains around...and plenty of bad locals.

Local doesnt automatically mean better food, price, or service. I dont get the “it helps the local ecomony” argument either, they both pay taxes and both employ local people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I had them last summer when I was out in Vegas.. I mean, it was fine.. But I put them kinda in the class of Steak and Shake.. Not really worth that much money. Not BAD or anything, but not as good as they think they are.
What do you order at Steak n Shake??? They have a $4 menu that is one of the best deals around. And I dont get Shake Shacks burgers so I cant speak on them, but the chicken sandwiches are much worth it imo. Ill take it over most other fast casuals.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:54 AM

2,893 posts, read 3,326,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Greenville will most likely be getting a Smashburger and a Newk's Eatery because they are in Columbia already.

Newk's is run by the same people who started McAlister's Deli. It is more like Schlotzsky's with pizza and sandwiches on the menu.
There is a Smashburger in Charlotte as well as Columbia. I have not yet had the opportunity to try the Smashburger. The rare times I pass through Columbia I always make a point to stop at Rush's. And sometimes Maurice's Barbeque or the Lizard's Thicket. I wish Rush's would expand to the Upstate, and it would also be nice to have a Lizard's Thicket.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:59 AM

2,893 posts, read 3,326,480 times
And I still want a Roy Rogers. They are still expanding in Virginia, Maryland, and New Jersey with renewed success. And they are looking to return to Pennsylvania. Would be nice if they could at least return to NC and eventually make it down to SC. Their famous fried chicken used to be served at Hardee's, although the quality control may not have always been as good. And their roast beef sandwich is much better quality than Arby's, and the burgers are good to. And they have a fixin's bar to prepare your sandwich the way you want it.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:03 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,415,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I dont get the “it helps the local ecomony” argument either, they both pay taxes and both employ local people.
The difference is that the majority of the profits from most local businesses get returned to the local economy. For large chains, the profits frequently go back to the headquarters of the chain or wherever the executives live.

I do agree that there are certainly good chains and lousy local restaurants. I do however, love a good local restaurant where the owners are active in the operation.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:18 AM

505 posts, read 579,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
There is a Smashburger in Charlotte as well as Columbia. I have not yet had the opportunity to try the Smashburger. The rare times I pass through Columbia I always make a point to stop at Rush's. And sometimes Maurice's Barbeque or the Lizard's Thicket. I wish Rush's would expand to the Upstate, and it would also be nice to have a Lizard's Thicket.

Smashburger is pretty good, but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to get to one. Habit Burger is the burger chain everyone should want. The burgers are charbroiled and not cooked on a flat top. Their prices are also better than Smash or Five Guys.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:25 AM

505 posts, read 579,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
The difference is that the majority of the profits from most local businesses get returned to the local economy. For large chains, the profits frequently go back to the headquarters of the chain or wherever the executives live.

I do agree that there are certainly good chains and lousy local restaurants. I do however, love a good local restaurant where the owners are active in the operation.
I think in general that is often the case, there are exceptions to that when it comes to places that franchise. "Locally owned and operated" used to be a big thing you would hear which I guess has faded as there is a lot more big franchisers than 20+ years ago. But there are still some some small local franchisers out there, for example all the Five Guys in the upstate are locally owned and operated.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:35 PM

9,743 posts, read 18,896,700 times
Bring back Fazoli’s and Boston Market.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:19 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,323,610 times
Would love a Boston Market here! I make a beeline there when I visit my friends in Raleigh.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:58 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,248,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Bring back Fazoli’s and Boston Market.
Fazoli's was awesome and such a good fast concept. It was nice to have a choice other than burgers and chicken when you needed something quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area