U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 03:59 PM

662 posts, read 339,016 times

Advertisements

Well, we like the place no matter what, but with all the talk about NY style pizza I'm just surprised this place hasn't come up before.It feels like an authentic neighborhood joint to me.Give us your opinions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 05:18 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,273,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Well, we like the place no matter what, but with all the talk about NY style pizza I'm just surprised this place hasn't come up before.It feels like an authentic neighborhood joint to me.Give us your opinions.
Went with a friend who is from NY, I didn't care for the pizza myself, can't remember why, it's been so long. I'm a self-proclaimed pizza snob, had a pizzeria. I go to Black Mountain for good pizza. It's a trek I wish I didn't have to take, but just can't find what I consider good pizza here.

My Mom sent me the name of a place she heard that has NY style pizza in Asheville that's suppose to be good. I've never heard of it or gone there, but maybe those who are interested and may be in the Asheville area may want to check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/ManicomioPizzaAVL/

I'll stick with My Father's Pizza, I know it's a drive, but I also know I'll get consistently great pizza!

Old 10-14-2017, 06:28 PM

On area food forums, West First Pizza in Flat Rock and Hendersonville gets lots of love, we enjoyed the Hendersonville location.I'm just not sure we know what really good pizza is!?!?!?

Old 10-14-2017, 06:45 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,273,485 times
Quote:
On area food forums, West First Pizza in Flat Rock and Hendersonville gets lots of love, we enjoyed the Hendersonville location.I'm just not sure we know what really good pizza is!?!?!?
Been there too. Trust me, I've tried many places.

If you ever find yourself in Black Mountain, check out My Father's Pizza and order their My Father's Supreme.

https://www.facebook.com/myfatherspizza/

Old 10-14-2017, 07:18 PM

11,770 posts, read 26,642,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Went with a friend who is from NY, I didn't care for the pizza myself, can't remember why, it's been so long. I'm a self-proclaimed pizza snob, had a pizzeria. I go to Black Mountain for good pizza. It's a trek I wish I didn't have to take, but just can't find what I consider good pizza here.

My Mom sent me the name of a place she heard that has NY style pizza in Asheville that's suppose to be good. I've never heard of it or gone there, but maybe those who are interested and may be in the Asheville area may want to check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/ManicomioPizzaAVL/

I'll stick with My Father's Pizza, I know it's a drive, but I also know I'll get consistently great pizza!
We ate pizza there the other day. It was OK but there wasn't enough sauce on it. I can't judge it at this point because I need to try it with more sauce. For some reason, this is common here, they skimp on the sauce. The crust, toppings and cheese were good. The crust was crispy on the bottom was still a little doughy on the top.

What kind of pizza do they serve at My Father's?

Old 10-14-2017, 09:42 PM

Why is there almost no tomato sauce on pizzas these days? Who should we complain Too? I'm starting to long for Pizza Hut in the 1980's!?!?!

Old 10-15-2017, 07:43 PM

11,770 posts, read 26,642,707 times
Quote:
Why is there almost no tomato sauce on pizzas these days? Who should we complain Too? I'm starting to long for Pizza Hut in the 1980's!?!?!
I don't get it either I don't like my pizza smothered in sauce but I still like some sauce. Dry pizza can ruin the pizza.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:44 PM

7,483 posts, read 3,887,094 times
It is not my idea of NY style pizza, but I had a good pizza at Paisano's Restaurant on Pelham Road in the shopping center at highway 14.

https://paisanosgreenville.com/

I see a lot of northerners on restaurants reviews claiming Sciortino's, Bertolo's (one location on Pelham, another on Highway 14), and Antonino Bertolo's Pizza on Main Street all have bonafide NY style pizza.

My favorite in Greenville back in 2008 prior my relocation to another city for a few years was Formano's Italian Grill on Woodruff Road where Eggs Up Grill is now. I think those owners were from Boston.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:18 AM

39 posts, read 21,812 times
As a former NYer I know Sciortino's, pronounced SORE TEEN Os. They are excellent for All Italian food and pizza. They still own a restaurant in Fresh Meadows NY. Give them a try. Right off 85 in Greer. Super wait staff and family owners are so nice. Miniature garlic knots are awesome! Their veal cutlet is real veal not a veal patty. They bring certain items in weekly from New York.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:37 AM

690 posts, read 892,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
My favorite in Greenville back in 2008 prior my relocation to another city for a few years was Formano's Italian Grill on Woodruff Road where Eggs Up Grill is now. I think those owners were from Boston.
They were indeed from up around Boston, and they had fresh whole clams flown in every Tuesday. They had the best - which is to say the only - fried whole clams, bellies and all, in the Upstate. I miss the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or