Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 05:02 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,504,750 times

Advertisements

Been living here for several years, and was here back in the 90's. Looking at retiring more towards the mountains, and was looking at feedback, pros and cons if anyone moved from here (Goose Creek to be exact) to your area of the state.
Thanks.
I am retired military, so any military bases etc around the area would be nice to know of too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 06:05 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,437,765 times
If you're looking for an area similar to Goose Creek, Taylors would probably be the closest thing. Greenville and Charleston aren't exactly twins, but there arent many huge differences between the two. Biggest would be not being around so much water.

The Upstate is generally cheaper, more spread out, less diverse (pro or con for different people), less humid, but still humid, and colder in the winter with more chance of winter weather. Also hillier and curvier.

There are no military bases north of Columbia.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:05 PM

21,018 posts, read 27,205,789 times
Steve40th, are you looking at Greenville or Spartanburg?

Old 10-15-2017, 08:11 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,209,079 times
Without knowing more, Pickens county would work.Its cheaper and less crowded, but close to Greenville and the mountains.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:50 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Steve40th, are you looking at Greenville or Spartanburg?
Generally speaking, closer to the mountains, and away from Charleston area. Traffic is bad, for one. But, just would like to be closer to the drive into the mountains too.
Cost of living lower is always a nice thing..

Old 10-16-2017, 04:19 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,754,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Generally speaking, closer to the mountains, and away from Charleston area. Traffic is bad, for one. But, just would like to be closer to the drive into the mountains too.
Cost of living lower is always a nice thing..
I travel around the Upstate a lot. The only area I consider bad traffic is Woodruff Road. Other than that, I don’t understand those that say traffic is bad.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:34 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,603,956 times
I travel nearly the length of I-85 (in SC) daily - traffic on 85 is AWFUL (esp truck traffic) - for years, SCDOT has mismanaged this highway and not planned for growth. In 10 years (even with all the massive construction), I-85 will be a parking lot during rush hours.

For Steve, I highly recommend Traveler's Rest near the Swamp Rabbit Trail (if he has no children/not concerned about public schools).

Old 10-16-2017, 04:52 AM

958 posts, read 2,619,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I travel around the Upstate a lot. The only area I consider bad traffic is Woodruff Road. Other than that, I don’t understand those that say traffic is bad.
Have you been on I-85 during rush hour between Greenville and Spartanburg? A 90 minute drive home, on average, isn't "not bad" traffic. Right now, on average, it takes me 65 minutes to get to work from downtown Spartanburg to downtown Greenville, and at least 90, if not more, on the way home, due to their nonsensical cutting of I-85 through Spartanburg from 3 to 1 lanes, until spring, and the resultant backup.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:06 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,286,535 times
There are no military bases in the area. If you are looking for VA services, there are new VA clinics in Greenville and Anderson.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:06 AM

825 posts, read 1,124,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
There are no military bases in the area. If you are looking for VA services, there are new VA clinics in Greenville and Anderson.

Also worth mentioning is that there are a few DEERs offices in the upstate that can renew retiree military IDs and handle other retiree stuff that DEERs does. There is one in Greenville at the Donaldson Center and one down on US76 down in Clemson. There may also be one in Spartanburg, but its not showing up online anymore. Best to call ahead, they are generally one person offices and have limited days/hours of operation. The Greenville is office is by appointment only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area