U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 08:58 AM

6,147 posts, read 9,357,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
What kind of architecture would you like to see?

I was actually kidding.. the building looks fine.. I am glad to see that they have ground floor restaurant space that should keep the street active as opposed to a glass lobby with a security desk. The good thing about Greenville vs Tysons Corner, VA is that it is a true city with walkable and enliven blocks.. Tysons has evolved from an office park and is trying now to become a more pedestrian oriented community and less auto oriented especially with the arrival of Metro Subway. It will get there eventually. Even though its skyline puts most SC cities to shame.. walking around at street level is an entirely different story which Greenville does very well..especially with the proximity Reedy Park.

Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 09:38 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,853,143 times
I’d love to see Greenville and Columbia reach those heights. Something has to surpass that brutalist Windstream building. Youre spot on about Tysons. It may not have that Main St feel, but its definitely not just another office park and is making strides. I want to see Greenville land more offices and companies.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:21 PM

4,534 posts, read 6,369,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Id love to see Greenville and Columbia reach those heights. Something has to surpass that brutalist Windstream building. Youre spot on about Tysons. It may not have that Main St feel, but its definitely not just another office park and is making strides. I want to see Greenville land more offices and companies.
I can't speak for Columbia, it's going to happen for Greenville. Leadership is aggressive at going after stuff.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:27 PM

7,523 posts, read 3,929,759 times
I don't think there are too many tall corporate towers being built these days. You see companies moving out to suburban office parks in Atlanta, Charlotte, and elsewhere to give their employees better quality of life regarding traffic and parking convenience. There is plenty of land in Greenville so no need to build skyscrapers.

In my view, Greenville would lose much of its appeal if a bunch of skyscrapers were built in downtown. Greenville is currently able to sell itself as having an alternative 'quaint' downtown vibe. More tall corporate buildings downtown will make it more generic.

I think a bunch of tall buildings being built downtown would be almost as bad as the decision to build a road over the waterfall back in the day.

Also, the rush hour traffic downtown and 385 is already more than enough so dramatically increasing the number of people working downtown would be an issue.

I think if tall towers were to be built, out along the toll road would be a good idea because there's no traffic in that area and could get more use out of that road.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-26-2017 at 12:51 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 12:38 PM

29,696 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
How should it look?
If the powers that be are fine with the design, then so be it. I'm merely making an observation.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:43 PM

29,696 posts, read 27,133,604 times
[quote=Simpsonvilllian;49939215You see companies moving out to suburban office parks in Atlanta, Charlotte, and elsewhere to give their employees better quality of life regarding traffic and parking convenience.[/QUOTE]

And there are plenty of companies moving into the cores of those cities as well. Uptown Charlotte is undergoing a new wave of construction and office highrises are a big part of that. In Atlanta, there are a couple of companies moving from the suburbs to the core to take advantage of transit.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:01 PM

3,201 posts, read 5,009,872 times
I can't speak for Atlanta, but the trend I saw in Charlotte and Raleigh, now where I am in Dallas, and other larger metros was actually companies moving back INTO the downtowns after decades of moving to the suburbs. Sure I see some companies moving out still for costs or other factors, but I certainly don't think that is the trend. Both commercial and residential growth in the urban rings of these areas are on the rise. It really depends on the kind of business and industry of course too.

This building is relatively innocuous architecturally, so I kind of agree with the Ballantyne/Tysons Corner/etc. remarks, but I think it will fit fine in the area planned. While I personally prefer more vertical growth in cities and understand why others would like to see taller buildings, I don't think that is really necessary for Greenville or really that important. A few taller buildings here and there downtown would be nice but something of this size seems to fit Greenville's growth rather well.

A building of this size and at this location will be all about how it integrates at the street/pedestrian level architecturally. That is where its biggest impact will be. Greenville has a GREAT street level feel for the size city it is. I always really liked it. And as someone who works in architecture and construction, let's face it, unique architecture comes at an ever-increasing price. So it's easy to nitpick architecture when youre not the one paying for it.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:24 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,853,143 times
Quote:
I don't think there are too many tall corporate towers being built these days. You see companies moving out to suburban office parks in Atlanta, Charlotte, and elsewhere to give their employees better quality of life regarding traffic and parking convenience. There is plenty of land in Greenville so no need to build skyscrapers.

In my view, Greenville would lose much of its appeal if a bunch of skyscrapers were built in downtown. Greenville is currently able to sell itself as having an alternative 'quaint' downtown vibe. More tall corporate buildings downtown will make it more generic.

I think a bunch of tall buildings being built downtown would be almost as bad as the decision to build a road over the waterfall back in the day.

Also, the rush hour traffic downtown and 385 is already more than enough so dramatically increasing the number of people working downtown would be an issue.

I think if tall towers were to be built, out along the toll road would be a good idea because there's no traffic in that area and could get more use out of that road.
Not really true, especially with Atlanta. Companies are actually leaving the office parks and relocating to Midtown, SS, etc. State Farm just built a new tower, and Midtown Atlanta likely has the most activity in the SE right now in terms of new offices going up. It's become obvious companies want to be near MARTA, so the Georgia leadership is starting to listen up.

The sites Atlanta pitched for Amazon are urban. Charlotte is mostly in the same boat. Charlotte is building a 630' office tower and just finished new 460' and 300' office towers in Uptown. Bridgestone just left their suburban Nashville office and built a new shiny 460' tall tower downtown.

McDonalds, Motorola, and Kraft are moving out of their suburban offices to new urban locations in Chicago. United already did. Salesforce's new HQ is in the new tallest tower in San Fran, instead of a campus like Apple and Facebook, and there's another 800' being built.

GE is moving out of their 70-acre suburban CT campus to downtown Boston. Marriott is leaving their office park for central Bethesda and Capital One is building a shiny 470' tower in Arlington. NRP Group and NY Life are leaving the Cleveland suburbs for downtown, and Microsoft is leaving suburban Detroit for downtown. Seattle is just ridiculous.

Being out in the suburbs doesn't automatically equal better QOL. Not all, but many companies are moving back into the city or close to urban clusters because their workers want it, especially millennial workers. Downtown Greenville is a more enticing place for young people to work than some office park in Mauldin.

Greenville doesn't have the demand for 800 ft towers to start popping up left and right, but office parks don't have to be the norm. Even Raleigh is trying to buck that trend, and they arguably helped start it.

As for the other points, it's subjective. I don't think it necessarily ruins character, as Greenville won't get anything ridiculously tall, and it depends on what the buildings look like and how they interact with the environment. And traffic includes many variables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
A building of this size and at this location will be all about how it integrates at the street/pedestrian level architecturally. That is where its biggest impact will be.
Basically this. Having street level retail is better than a big concrete parking garage wall.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:00 PM

4,534 posts, read 6,369,007 times
Quote:

Greenville isn't a tiny town. It's growing. Some taller buildings are inevitable. Actually there is more infill going on than the flight to the burbs these days. There are plenty of towns that aren't growing and their economy shows it. Plenty of land down in McCormick county which isn't growing.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:30 AM

7,523 posts, read 3,929,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Greenville isn't a tiny town. It's growing. Some taller buildings are inevitable. Actually there is more infill going on than the flight to the burbs these days. There are plenty of towns that aren't growing and their economy shows it. Plenty of land down in McCormick county which isn't growing.
Greenville has been growing for a long time and is one of the largest MSAs in the country, but no tall towers have been built like those in Charlotte, ATL and other big cities.

The new corporate office buildings in Greenville have been built out near I-85 such as the Hubbell Lighting, ICAR, and the CH2M engineering office building on Verdae.

Downtown is starting to run out of space for new tall corporate towers and I think there is more money in residential property down there.

I could see some office buildings being built on Poinsett Highway between downtown and Cherrydale, Wade Hampton between downtown and Bob Jones, and Laurens Road.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-27-2017 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or