Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:29 AM

266 posts, read 300,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I still have a FL phone number (Verizon, former Alltel), and get have been getting a few calls a week from my own area code / exchange for at least a year now.

Luckily, I have no reason to answer the phone from anyone not in my contact list, so I just ignore them.
Exact same here, get all finds of calls from the 772 area code and have not lived there in ten years, but still have my Florida number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 09:26 AM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times
I posted this in the SC forum:

I'm so sick and tired of Scam phone calls on my cell phone coming from 864-423-XXXX. The first 6 numbers are always constant but the last 4 change so it's impossible to block them all.

I would rather not block all calls coming from 864 or 864-423 because I could get valid calls.

It's such a nuisance.

Anyone else getting these type calls?

I know never to answer these calls, but not answering didn't stop them at all so I answered a couple of times just to see if I could speak (blow a loud horn) to a person. It's just a recording and they say a bunch of stuff and then ask you if it's ok and you have to answer yes or no. They are trying to get you to say YES and that's the scam. If they get your voice saying 'yes' you're getting yourself in trouble so never say yes. I said 'fu' lol, but never yes.

If you have a way to stop these type calls, please share. I got one call last night around midnight and I had the 'do no disturb' on my phone so don't know how they got through.

Thanks.

I get these calls at least 5 times a day from different last 4 digits on my cell and I'm so tired of it. I remember a long time ago I got a call several times a night for many nights by a strange phone number. I contacted the police non-emergency phone number and they actually got it to stop.

I'm seriously considering contacting the local police again as these phone calls are disturbing the peace. I refuse to change my phone number.

I've tried HiYa (annoying so deleted it) and other blocking apps but since they always change up the last 4 digits it's impossible to block these numbers.

Do Not Call is a joke and hasn't worked for many years.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:38 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,213 times
There's no way for the end customer to properly handle this problem - it needs to be done by the phone companies, but there's still too much money in it for the telcos to care. The problem does not justify law enforcement to spend time on this; there are probably dozens of entities spoofing numbers to place calls.

The only app that goes deep enough into the telemarketer technology to combat the 'nearby phone number' problem is the Robokiller app. Spammed by a Local Call? Here’s How to Stop Neighbor Spoofing.

The number that came in last night may have spoofed someone in your phonebook. The next logical extension is that these scumbags use contact data stolen by shady Smartphone apps to spoof only numbers in your phonebook.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:04 PM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
There's no way for the end customer to properly handle this problem - it needs to be done by the phone companies, but there's still too much money in it for the telcos to care. The problem does not justify law enforcement to spend time on this; there are probably dozens of entities spoofing numbers to place calls.

The only app that goes deep enough into the telemarketer technology to combat the 'nearby phone number' problem is the Robokiller app. Spammed by a Local Call? Here’s How to Stop Neighbor Spoofing.

The number that came in last night may have spoofed someone in your phonebook. The next logical extension is that these scumbags use contact data stolen by shady Smartphone apps to spoof only numbers in your phonebook.
Thanks. I looked up ROBOkiller and looks like maybe it's just for ios phones. I have android.

I forgot at the time who it was that suggested I call the police, but it was so annoying that I actually did. The non-emergency police was more than happy to help me out thank goodness. This was many years ago. They took care of it and the next day the calls stopped. I was so thankful.

I wish there was some way to stop these horrible people. It's why I keep my home number to give out when need be. I just turn the ringer off and if someone wants to leave a message, I'll get an email and can see if it's important.

I try to keep my cell number as private as I can but some scumbag got ahold of it and it's been a pain ever since and it's sad that there is nothing we can do. Someone needs to invent the solution. Maybe something that identifies these people so that we can report them.

My mom has a flip phone. She is older and when I'm with her, her phone rings a lot and most are these spammers. She gets so irritated as do I. It's such a waste of time to have to keep on top of all these calls and to be constantly interrupted.

I did download an app called 'Should I answer' and I believe it asked for permission to my contacts. I just allowed them permission figuring they'd need to know what phone numbers to allow to pass the filter...maybe I shouldn't have done that.

I wish most all people with cell phones would rally together and threaten to give up their phones unless the phone companies did something about these spammers. Maybe if they stand to lose a lot of money, they'd act on it.

Why doesn't the DO NOT CALL Registry work anymore? It's a joke.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:55 PM

61 posts, read 50,164 times
I have an Ooma box for my home phone setup and I was getting between 3 to 5 of these types of phone calls daily Monday-Saturday. I would block any number that did not leave a message but the calls kept coming in from different, but similar numbers. Even when there was a message left, it was always a partial message where the robot caller started talking while my answering machine was asking them to leave a message.

It got so bad and I was so frustrated that I finally set the Ooma to block all numbers except those in my call list of people that I know. Stopped these calls cold so far (for over 2 weeks). I might revert back to my normal allowing of calls after the holidays but for now, I am enjoying the peace and quiet.

As for my cell phone, I have a call blocker program for that, too, but my cell spends most of the time on its charger. I refuse to be tied down to a cell phone so I only use it when I am out and about (mostly for taking my wife shopping so she can call me when she is ready to be picked-up or for emergency use just in case).

My aversion to phones came about when I worked at a call center help-desk for over 6 yrs. The phone would start ringing as soon as I logged-in at 8am and would not stop until I logged out when it was time to end my shift and go home. Talk about a burnout job, a few years of a job like that is enough to make almost anybody HATE phone calls! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area