U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2017, 04:13 PM
 
1,193 posts, read 1,844,438 times
Reputation: 1109

Advertisements

Bottom line, a degree from Furman is good for the resume. Ask the graduates if they have any regrets. Ask the parents of the students the same question. Our son graduated in 2010 with a degree in Asian Studies and Art/Grahic Design. He has no regrets. We donít either. We are middle class. He did well with scholarships, including Palmetto Fellows. He has no student debt. Furman was the perfect fit for him. That is the key. Praying your student feels which school is the right fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2017, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,540 posts, read 3,942,983 times
Reputation: 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
Then by that logic, Clemson, which has a higher percentage of students from South Carolina in the undergrad class, would have less of a national brand?

I don't think it's uncommon for private universities to pull students from many states, even small ones. It doesn't mean they have a strong national brand.
What evidence do you have Furman doesn't have a 'national brand' relative to other schools?

What similar private small liberal arts college has a stronger national brand than Furman and how do you know?

I saw Duke mentioned but Duke is an atypical private college with engineering programs, a med school, a law school, and athletic programs playing in a power 5 conference. It also has over twice the number of students at the undergrad level.

One advantage of Furman over Duke and some of the Ivy League schools is it offers undergrad business programs and they don't.

Clemson is a public school so it has to take a lot of in state students but it is still taking near 40 percent out of state and it is a much larger university as well so it has more out of state students than Furman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2017, 08:05 PM
 
674 posts, read 351,996 times
Reputation: 532
When our daughter got to DC after graduation she was welcomed by an active group of Furman alumni.I guess this is anecdotal, but it helped her get her feet on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2017, 06:12 AM
 
173 posts, read 104,018 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
What evidence do you have Furman doesn't have a 'national brand' relative to other schools?

What similar private small liberal arts college has a stronger national brand than Furman and how do you know?

I saw Duke mentioned but Duke is an atypical private college with engineering programs, a med school, a law school, and athletic programs playing in a power 5 conference. It also has over twice the number of students at the undergrad level.

One advantage of Furman over Duke and some of the Ivy League schools is it offers undergrad business programs and they don't.

Clemson is a public school so it has to take a lot of in state students but it is still taking near 40 percent out of state and it is a much larger university as well so it has more out of state students than Furman.
What evidence do you have that Furman does have a national brand relative to other schools? Even when I lived in Raleigh I never ran into anyone who went to Furman or heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2017, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,540 posts, read 3,942,983 times
Reputation: 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
What evidence do you have that Furman does have a national brand relative to other schools? Even when I lived in Raleigh I never ran into anyone who went to Furman or heard of it.
I presented evidence already. It doesn't make sense that a regional college has so many students from other states including California and Washington state.

I think it is as well known as any other small liberal arts college.

How many small liberal arts colleges out west are a household name for you?

How many people out west , southwest, midwest have worked with people who went to the much larger University of South Carolina or Clemson? The only reason that most people have heard of SC and Clemson is their teams play in a P5 conference. I've met people in the south that think Clemson is a private school.

The US News Rankings has Furman ranked no. 53 out of 233 liberal arts colleges. Most of the ones ranked above Furman are smaller than Furman. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...es?_mode=table I would think Furman has as much 'national brand' as their top ranked one, Williams. It has the much smaller Davidson in Charlotte ranked above Furman. I've never worked with anybody who went to Davidson.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-31-2017 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2017, 12:19 PM
 
1,280 posts, read 427,917 times
Reputation: 2005
I'd venture to say that liberal arts colleges (which is what Furman is) aren't known by the general public, regardless of their academic reputation, and universities are well-known outside of their regions only if they have really strong sports or really strong (i.e., MIT-level) academics.

I'd look at earnings of school alumni to try to determine the quality of a school:

https://www.payscale.com/college-sal...south-carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2017, 01:09 PM
 
173 posts, read 104,018 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I presented evidence already. It doesn't make sense that a regional college has so many students from other states including California and Washington state.

I think it is as well known as any other small liberal arts college.

How many small liberal arts colleges out west are a household name for you?

How many people out west , southwest, midwest have worked with people who went to the much larger University of South Carolina or Clemson? The only reason that most people have heard of SC and Clemson is their teams play in a P5 conference. I've met people in the south that think Clemson is a private school.

The US News Rankings has Furman ranked no. 53 out of 233 liberal arts colleges. Most of the ones ranked above Furman are smaller than Furman. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...es?_mode=table I would think Furman has as much 'national brand' as their top ranked one, Williams. It has the much smaller Davidson in Charlotte ranked above Furman. I've never worked with anybody who went to Davidson.
And other people have presented evidence that small schools can still pull from many states through things like selective recruiting. You keep lowering the bar with each edit anyways.

Some examples out west: Claremont Consortium, Austin College, Southwestern, University of Dallas, Benedictine College, Franciscan University. The small Catholic colleges are known in Catholic circles and can pull from many states but I wouldn't consider them well-known.

Anyways, your schtick is getting tired. I know it's Halloween but didn't you agree to stop trolling me?


P.S. People have actually heard of Davidson because of Steph Curry and their baseball team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2017, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,540 posts, read 3,942,983 times
Reputation: 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Not sure i'd put furman in the southern ivy category. Duke, vandy, rice, tulane. Now those are southern ivy.

Furman is a good school but not worth the price tag even with aid.

Brand wise outside of SC and GA / NC not many are going to be familiar with its name.
@AginGreer

This comment was made prior to you posting on the topic and I also posted on this topic prior to you posting on it. You responded to my post about Furman having a lot of students from out of state. It doesn't make any sense for you say that I'm trolling you. I'm expressing a point of view on a topic.

I've always associated Furman with out of state students after I did a tour of it when I was in high school. There were mostly families from the northeast on the tour. I remember my father joking that Furman is SC's gift to wealthy northeastern families. I don't believe a college can be called a regional college if it is mostly out of state students. USC-Upstate is an example of a regional college.

Two people on this thread who have family members that went to Furman have disagreed with your assertion. Are they also trolling you?

I recognize your screen name but I can't remember any specific discussions that I've had with you.

I'm have not heard of most of the liberal arts schools in US News rankings including most of the ones ranked above Furman but I wouldn't assume that employers, med schools, law schools, etc are not familiar with them.

Is there a survey of employers that indicates Furman grads struggle to get good job offers outside of SC and nearby states?

I can't see any employer that is familiar with Davidson not also being familiar with Furman.

It seems to me most of the public's perception of universities is driven by US News rankings, and US News has it ranked 53 best liberal arts college. That seems pretty good if you consider how small those colleges are. You could probably combine like 15 of them and the combined college would still be smaller than UofSC.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-31-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2017, 04:48 PM
 
820 posts, read 1,161,122 times
Reputation: 611
I'm not going to speak on whether or not Furman has a national brand, but I will speak about school recruiting. Many of these smaller liberal arts schools in the south will try and recruit from high cost of education states because the cost of out of state at Furman equals the cost of in state tuition in New Jersey or less. That is why/how they pull from some states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 06:04 AM
 
173 posts, read 104,018 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
@AginGreer

This comment was made prior to you posting on the topic and I also posted on this topic prior to you posting on it. You responded to my post about Furman having a lot of students from out of state. It doesn't make any sense for you say that I'm trolling you. I'm expressing a point of view on a topic.

I've always associated Furman with out of state students after I did a tour of it when I was in high school. There were mostly families from the northeast on the tour. I remember my father joking that Furman is SC's gift to wealthy northeastern families. I don't believe a college can be called a regional college if it is mostly out of state students. USC-Upstate is an example of a regional college.

Two people on this thread who have family members that went to Furman have disagreed with your assertion. Are they also trolling you?

I recognize your screen name but I can't remember any specific discussions that I've had with you.

I'm have not heard of most of the liberal arts schools in US News rankings including most of the ones ranked above Furman but I wouldn't assume that employers, med schools, law schools, etc are not familiar with them.

Is there a survey of employers that indicates Furman grads struggle to get good job offers outside of SC and nearby states?

I can't see any employer that is familiar with Davidson not also being familiar with Furman.

It seems to me most of the public's perception of universities is driven by US News rankings, and US News has it ranked 53 best liberal arts college. That seems pretty good if you consider how small those colleges are. You could probably combine like 15 of them and the combined college would still be smaller than UofSC.
No, you're trolling anyone who doesn't view everything in the upstate as sunshine and rainbows, just like on the Amazon thread and many others. Now you'll probably respond, edit 5 times, and then claim you've had enough and run off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top