Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 06:52 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,875,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Image: Airport Environs Zone

You can make out the proposed second runway south and parallel to the existing 4/22 runway based on decibels and the outline.
That pic is from 2009 or so. I do seem to recall something about the runway though, maybe it w s just an expansion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 08:25 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,319,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Image: Airport Environs Zone

You can make out the proposed second runway south and parallel to the existing 4/22 runway based on decibels and the outline.
Okay. I see it now. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:39 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeringvegas View Post
Not sure what your definition of "arent that many" is, but there are close to 100 passenger flights to or from GSP. That's a pretty good amount in my book!
Compared to other regional airports. Charlotte, Columbia, Myrtle Beach and even Asheville.

And the 100 number seems high.. I'd think it's more 60-70.

we've got American, United, Delta and Southwest.. Leaving allegiant out as those are not every day flights.

But.. You're closer to right than I am.. Average day is 46 arrivals and 46 departures, so that's closer to your 100 number. Though.. It seems that at least one of the flights per day from Charlotte is always cancelled.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:01 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Not sure what your definition of "arent that many" is, but there are close to 100 passenger flights to or from GSP. That's a pretty good amount in my book!
It's more like an 85 planes per day average. Still higher than I figured since you can go 20-30+ minutes without seeing any activity.

What people are hearing late at night and early in the morning are likely cargo planes, as GSP gets a lot of that. Last time I was at GSP I actually saw a cargo 747 land. Passenger planes don't start coming in until around 8:40am on most days. After the first wave of departures at 6am, things cool off to about 2-4 departures an hour.

Also doesnt help that GSP has so many smaller regional jets. Even though their smaller, they're very noisy.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 AM

26 posts, read 23,526 times
Quote:
Flights start out of GSP right before 6am and the last scheduled arrival is around 12:27am. Winds do effect which way they takeoff or land. Sometimes the path will be real close to you. Sometimes they go the other way. You can track flight paths at Greenville/Spartanburg Intl Airport (Greer, SC) KGSP / GSP Flight Tracker
Thanks for that.
From looking at that site, it appears that the "normal" path is southwest to northeast. Is that right?

Old 10-26-2017, 11:00 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvonneLC View Post
Thanks for that.
From looking at that site, it appears that the "normal" path is southwest to northeast. Is that right?
I live southwest of the airport, and that is consistent with all the lower-altitude planes I see over my house heading northeast.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I live 5.5 miles southwest of the airport, near Woodruff Road, and I have just recently noticed planes waking me up at 6am, and they do seem to be getting louder over the years. However you are right, they do not seem to be consistent at all. Some days I won't notice any and another day I'll notice four or five really loud ones.

Maybe they intentionally cycle the areas they set up landing paths through so nobody has to deal with it every day?

There was a really loud low flyer over my house at 5:40AM today - does anyone know where you go to make a complaint about this?

Old 11-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
There was a really loud low flyer over my house at 5:40AM today - does anyone know where you go to make a complaint about this?
That airport has been there since the 60s. I doubt complaining will stop them from flying planes. There are much worse noises.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
That airport has been there since the 60s. I doubt complaining will stop them from flying planes. There are much worse noises.
I don't understand why you would think I am trying to stop GSP from flying planes.

Anyway, I wrote a letter to their commissioners. We'll see where it goes. They were really helpful to me in the past when contacted about abusive police ticketing.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I don't understand why you would think I am trying to stop GSP from flying planes.

Anyway, I wrote a letter to their commissioners. We'll see where it goes. They were really helpful to me in the past when contacted about abusive police ticketing.
Because I hear complaints about low flying planes daily. Not here, but on another group for Simpsonville. They don't bother me. We're in an urban area with a few airports. We're going to have plane noise and low flying aircraft. I'm more irritated by the extremely loud motorcycles, but I realize it comes with the territory; so I just live with it. Urban and suburban areas are going to have this. At least it isn't as busy as Hartsfield. Imagine what they deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area