U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:26 AM

913 posts, read 2,308,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I don't have the pleasure of commuting, as I work from home, but my son commutes from Greenville to Greer everyday on I-85 and it takes him about 30 minutes. He leaves the house about 8:20. Don't know if it is worse earlier. When traffic is bad in the evening he takes the back roads.
The commute from Greenville to Spartanburg has become unbearable with the fact they've shut two of the three lanes on I-85 northbound through Spartanburg due to construction. It backs up for miles. And it is worse earlier. I leave home at 6:45 daily and am lucky to make to to Greenville by 8. A lot of that is due to the BMW shift change. On my way home, it is taking between 90 and 120 minutes as of late, depending on accidents, etc. and the construction I mentioned earlier. There's an accident or two every day on my way home which slows things down considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 08:21 AM

1,873 posts, read 1,833,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
The commute from Greenville to Spartanburg has become unbearable with the fact they've shut two of the three lanes on I-85 northbound through Spartanburg due to construction. It backs up for miles. And it is worse earlier. I leave home at 6:45 daily and am lucky to make to to Greenville by 8. A lot of that is due to the BMW shift change. On my way home, it is taking between 90 and 120 minutes as of late, depending on accidents, etc. and the construction I mentioned earlier. There's an accident or two every day on my way home which slows things down considerably.
Wow! Sounds like you need to move.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:37 AM

754 posts, read 863,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I hope your folks enjoy Anderson. Yep, we have a lot of green, the piedmont is great, and there's lots of recreational opportunities around. COL is good. We have a bit of a litter problem, but still cleaner than most. And we are def friendly, hard not to be.

Yeah SC is behind the ball on MMJ and attitudes on MJ in general, but hopefully you can work something out there. I think there's a good housing mix here, there's definitely cookie cutter neighborhoods, but many ones with variety as well. IDK about Hemet, but the area is big on brick and vinyl. Doesn't mean you can't find what you're looking for though.

This is a religious area, but don't worry about it, at least personally. You make friends of all backgrounds. You may get asked to go to church, but it won't turn into some chastising diatribe if you say "no thanks."

What is your field? COL is low, but your wages still matter.

The humidity is only bad when it's mixed in with heat. It can get bad, and I wouldn't say you ever get used to it, but it's still better than having 2 feet of snow or -10 degrees outside. You can still survive with humidity and do things outside, don't let it scare you. You'll just sweat a little more.

Don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but I wouldn't put too much stock into this. We are like everyone else.

As someone else said, the airport is not thanks to Greer, but glad you had a good experience. GSP's recent extreme makeover definitely went well. I'm seriously curious though, what was your flight path? Getting from Hemet to Greer seems like it'd be a real journey.
I come from a sales background, most recently Aviation Sales. Might be good for me to look at airport opportunities. The good news is that I can transition into a lot of other industries that require sales people.

Looks like I hit a sore spot on giving Greer the credit on GSP Sorry about that. We took Southwest from SAN > ATL > GSP. It was hard to find flights that didn't require two stops to get to GSP.

You should see our litter problems. It's really sad.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:11 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,860,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
I come from a sales background, most recently Aviation Sales. Might be good for me to look at airport opportunities. The good news is that I can transition into a lot of other industries that require sales people.

Looks like I hit a sore spot on giving Greer the credit on GSP Sorry about that. We took Southwest from SAN > ATL > GSP. It was hard to find flights that didn't require two stops to get to GSP.

You should see our litter problems. It's really sad.
There's sales opportunities here. Pay isn't the best imo, but it's livable and there's good opportunities. The aviation industry isn't big in the Upstate, so it's good that you have more flexibility to go between industries. You'd have much more success here with sales in manufacturing, medical, engineering, and business. Real estate sales could be a good area to look at as well.

And no sore spot at all! Honest mistake. Greer is kind of just where the airport was chosen to go since it's in the middle. And okay cool, that doesn't sound difficult at all.

Definitely try to come back and visit if you can to get more of a feel for the area and jobs. Glad you had a good first impression. Hopefully the second will be up to par.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:51 AM

109 posts, read 53,145 times
Quote:
We just got back from a scouting trip to the Greenville area. My folks just moved to Anderson and me and my GF wanted to come out and see if the area would be for us.

We currently live in Hemet, CA which is not a great place. In the bigger picture, we just don't see a future here in CA for us as this State seems to have a real dislike for the middle class. Furthermore, the quality of life in CA just isn't what used to be especially for what you have to pay to live here.

After our trip, all we can say is WOW! What a difference at least from our limited experience.

1.) The people were so genuinely friendly and welcoming. Always willing to help with a smile.
2.) The roads were in good condition compared to where we live in CA.
3.) The greenery was just beautiful.
4.) The area was generally clean...no dumped garbage and trashy roadways. We also saw very little graffiti.
5.) The Cost of Living is obviously much more reasonable.
6.) The proximity to the mountains was great. We love to hike and found some beautiful areas to explore.
7.) The business opportunities and growth seemed strong. Lots of building and from what we could tell, a business friendly environment.

Potential Downsides:

1.) One of us legitimately utilizes medical MJ for a chronic medical condition. This is not a State that seems to be friendly to this need.
2.) The architecture in the suburbs was fairly bland to us. I'm not sure the areas too far out from Greenville will suit our taste.
3.) While the economy seems to be good, we're concerned about being able to find good paying jobs in our fields. It's just a smaller economy when all is said and done.
4.) We saw lots and lots of churches which is fine but we are not religious. We just may not be in line with this and find that we don't fit in.
5.) While the weather was gorgeous during our stay, we know the summers will be much different with lots of humidity.

Overall, I think we could adjust and thrive there. It's never a 100% perfect fit in any area.

Again, we couldn't have felt more welcomed by the people and really appreciated everyone's friendly and helpful attitudes. Just very impressive.

One interesting observation; at meal times, we saw well-behaved children and families actually talking over a meal. Not a lot of smart phone use during meals. We thought that was nice and emphasized a strong family connection.

Lastly, what a great job Greer did with GSP. What a fantastic little airport.

So thank you to everyone who made our stay enjoyable. You could really tell that the locals took great pride in their City/State. We'll see what the future brings.
I'm glad to read your opinion. My wife and I want to retire to Greenville area from Florida, and we have a lot of the same concerns as you (except the job part). We've been there once during the summer a few years ago, and are going again right after Christmas to see what it's like in the winter. As of now, Greenville is at the top of our retirement list.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:36 AM

82 posts, read 63,226 times
Hello and welcome! I have not ever been to California, but am a recent transplant from south Florida. I moved here in dead of summer, compared to "back home" it was a cake walk for me but I can see how someone used to an arid surrounding might not fare so well. I didn't find it bad at all and shouldn't be something you couldn't handle nor acclimate to. However the cold is something I'm not used to, it was in the 40s first week of September and I had to use an ice scraper for the first time in my life Sunday when it was 30 out LOL. That being said I have no complaints, just layer up on my wardrobe.

It is picturesque here and I wouldn't change a thing. Compared to Florida, the roads are not good and fairly sketchy especially at night as sc seems to have a strict policy against street lights and a penchant for blind hills and corners. This is compounded during daylight hours when the roads are occupied by cyclists who seem to not think or care about said blind spots or holding up traffic. However litter, especially in my area, thankfully seems practically nonexistent. This is not the case in Florida.

I am also not religious and have had zero issue with anyone pushing theirs onto me or chastising. In fact I experienced much more of that back in Florida.

As far as medical pot I don't know much about it here, but pretty much everyone I've met smokes. Not that I am advocating that route.

I'm not sure what kind of lifestyle you prefer, but I live 40 min north of Greenville in the mountains and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm 20-25 min from travelers rest where I work and has every convenience I could need. Greenville itself while has an impressive to me down town area, represents many reasons of why I left Florida. The cookie cutters you mentioned, the crowds and awful traffic.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:09 PM

754 posts, read 863,452 times
Hey, thanks everyone for your opinions and comments. If I learned anything is that we all have our own comparisons

Old 11-03-2017, 08:19 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,725,288 times
Quote:
Hey, thanks everyone for your opinions and comments. If I learned anything is that we all have our own comparisons
Speaking of comparisons, 40 minutes north of Greenville is world's away from Anderson in many ways. The weather, the people, population density, the terrain...

But that is also the answer to your medical MJ concerns: Asheville aka "The San Francisco of the Southeast." Go north, my friend.

We went trick or treating with a group near downtown, and the kids in the group ended up with several Bible pamphlets (condemning them to hell, no less) in their bags. We have encountered numerous issues with Bible-thumpers, including professionally. It is indeed a thing here, and has been a real problem for us (me and my wife) as non-Christians. I would have concerns with bullying in some schools for openly non-Christians (especially atheists, Muslims, Buddhists...)

I look at late summers here the way northerners look at winter: it's something you have to get through to enjoy the rest of the year. Some summers are worse than others, but these upper 80 degree humid days in October, or 70's on Christmas don't help either, especially with the mosquito population. I find the end of August, early September to be a grind as far as going outside and enjoying it.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:08 AM

982 posts, read 142,707 times
I laugh when people talk about hot and humid summers in the beautiful Upstate of SC. Growing up in NYC, the sun and 90-something degree heat bounced off the tall reflective buildings, asphalt, and concrete that surrounded us. There was no breeze. Our clothes stuck to us. It was a pleasure compared to being knocked over or pushed up half a block by the force of a cold wind or having to dig our cars into and out of parking spots. I'll take two months of Upstate SC heat, humidity and bugs any day over two months of ice, snow and cold anywhere, anytime!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:11 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,860,612 times
Two months? Ha, I wish. I agree I’ll take it over a frigid winter, but theres definitely nothing pleasant about our summers and it’s definately not that short.

The only good thing you can really say about summer heat is “at least we’re not Columbia.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or