Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 12:49 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,127 times

Advertisements

We just got back from a scouting trip to the Greenville area. My folks just moved to Anderson and me and my GF wanted to come out and see if the area would be for us.

We currently live in Hemet, CA which is not a great place. In the bigger picture, we just don't see a future here in CA for us as this State seems to have a real dislike for the middle class. Furthermore, the quality of life in CA just isn't what used to be especially for what you have to pay to live here.

After our trip, all we can say is WOW! What a difference at least from our limited experience.

1.) The people were so genuinely friendly and welcoming. Always willing to help with a smile.
2.) The roads were in good condition compared to where we live in CA.
3.) The greenery was just beautiful.
4.) The area was generally clean...no dumped garbage and trashy roadways. We also saw very little graffiti.
5.) The Cost of Living is obviously much more reasonable.
6.) The proximity to the mountains was great. We love to hike and found some beautiful areas to explore.
7.) The business opportunities and growth seemed strong. Lots of building and from what we could tell, a business friendly environment.

Potential Downsides:

1.) One of us legitimately utilizes medical MJ for a chronic medical condition. This is not a State that seems to be friendly to this need.
2.) The architecture in the suburbs was fairly bland to us. I'm not sure the areas too far out from Greenville will suit our taste.
3.) While the economy seems to be good, we're concerned about being able to find good paying jobs in our fields. It's just a smaller economy when all is said and done.
4.) We saw lots and lots of churches which is fine but we are not religious. We just may not be in line with this and find that we don't fit in.
5.) While the weather was gorgeous during our stay, we know the summers will be much different with lots of humidity.

Overall, I think we could adjust and thrive there. It's never a 100% perfect fit in any area.

Again, we couldn't have felt more welcomed by the people and really appreciated everyone's friendly and helpful attitudes. Just very impressive.

One interesting observation; at meal times, we saw well-behaved children and families actually talking over a meal. Not a lot of smart phone use during meals. We thought that was nice and emphasized a strong family connection.

Lastly, what a great job Greer did with GSP. What a fantastic little airport.

So thank you to everyone who made our stay enjoyable. You could really tell that the locals took great pride in their City/State. We'll see what the future brings.

Last edited by UEHelp; 10-29-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 01:24 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
We just got back from a scouting trip to the Greenville area. My folks just moved to Anderson and me and my GF wanted to come out and see if the area would be for us.

We currently live in Hemet, CA which is not a great place. In the bigger picture, we just don't see a future here in CA for us as this State seems to have a real dislike for the middle class. Furthermore, the quality of life in CA just isn't what used to be especially for what you have to pay to live here.

After our trip, all we can say is WOW! What a difference at least from our limited experience.

1.) The people were so genuinely friendly and welcoming. Always willing to help with a smile.
4.) The area was generally clean...no dumped garbage and trashy roadways. We also saw very little graffiti.
6.) The proximity to the mountains was great. We love to hike and found some beautiful areas to explore.
7.) The business opportunities and growth seemed strong. Lots of building and from what we could tell, a business friendly environment.

Potential Downsides:

1.) One of us legitimately utilizes medical MJ for a chronic medical condition. This is not a State that seems to be friendly to this need.
2.) The architecture in the suburbs was fairly bland to us. I'm not sure the areas too far out from Greenville will suit our taste.
3.) While the economy seems to be good, we're concerned about being able to find good paying jobs in our fields. It's just a smaller economy when all is said and done.
4.) We saw lots and lots of churches which is fine but we are not religious. We just may not be in line with this and find that we don't fit in.
5.) While the weather was gorgeous during our stay, we know the summers will be much different with lots of humidity.

Overall, I think we could adjust and thrive there. It's never a 100% perfect fit in any area.

Again, we couldn't have felt more welcomed by the people and really appreciated everyone's friendly and helpful attitudes. Just very impressive.

One interesting observation; at meal times, we saw well-behaved children and families actually talking over a meal. Not a lot of smart phone use during meals. We thought that was nice and emphasized a strong family connection.

So thank you to everyone who made our stay enjoyable. You could really tell that the locals took great pride in their City/State. We'll see what the future brings.
I wouldn't worry too much about being religious. I'm not either and I do just fine. The area is becoming fairly transplanted. Greer isn't really responsible for what was done to GSP. It's more of a Greenville and Spartanburg county alliance. Even though they're in Spartanburg county you'll hear them refer to Greenville more when landing etc. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:32 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,910 times
Quote:
I'm not religious either and have made it just fine here for 20 years.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:00 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,127 times
Good to know DSMRE & Upstate 67...thanks!

Old 10-29-2017, 04:28 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
I can third the religion part- I am not of the majority religion and have never experienced any discrimination or other issues. Just about every one I meet has been warm and welcoming. As a former New Yorker who spent many years in Raleigh as well it would be hard to live anywhere else after being here 3.5 years.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:38 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,493 times
Quote:
Potential Downsides:

Glad you came with an open mind.

Medical MJ is not approved but I know patients who find it and so far they have not been harassed.

Because of rapid growth cookie cutter subdivisions have sprung up. I dislike it as much as you but the upside means good growth in the area and reasonable home prices.

Engineering has decent paying jobs but don't know about the rest.

I am not of Christian faith and in my 24 years here only a couple of people have talked to me about Christianity. Including one Jehovah's witness.

We have some cold winters with ice and some hot summers. Gorgeous autumn and spring. The winters don't last long. Love the 4 seasons.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
I love when people post these threads about their visit here so I'd like to say thanks. Glad you enjoyed your trip! We aren't religious either. You will get people asking "what church do you attend"? Then, they will offer you to join their church but it usually stays at that. You are right, no place is perfect. For the most part, we enjoyed living here for the 4 years we've been here. It maybe a bit of a culture shock but with time, you get adjusted. Whatever you chose to do, good luck.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:50 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:

I hope your folks enjoy Anderson. Yep, we have a lot of green, the piedmont is great, and there's lots of recreational opportunities around. COL is good. We have a bit of a litter problem, but still cleaner than most. And we are def friendly, hard not to be.

Quote:
Potential Downsides:

Yeah SC is behind the ball on MMJ and attitudes on MJ in general, but hopefully you can work something out there. I think there's a good housing mix here, there's definitely cookie cutter neighborhoods, but many ones with variety as well. IDK about Hemet, but the area is big on brick and vinyl. Doesn't mean you can't find what you're looking for though.

This is a religious area, but don't worry about it, at least personally. You make friends of all backgrounds. You may get asked to go to church, but it won't turn into some chastising diatribe if you say "no thanks."

What is your field? COL is low, but your wages still matter.

The humidity is only bad when it's mixed in with heat. It can get bad, and I wouldn't say you ever get used to it, but it's still better than having 2 feet of snow or -10 degrees outside. You can still survive with humidity and do things outside, don't let it scare you. You'll just sweat a little more.

Quote:
Don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but I wouldn't put too much stock into this. We are like everyone else.

Quote:
As someone else said, the airport is not thanks to Greer, but glad you had a good experience. GSP's recent extreme makeover definitely went well. I'm seriously curious though, what was your flight path? Getting from Hemet to Greer seems like it'd be a real journey.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:48 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,274 times
Good points all in all, but I think if you were to spend more time here you'd change your mind on the roads. Woefully inefficient, no shoulders in many cases, and the freeways can't handle the traffic. I'd recommend you live near your workplace. You will greatly regret having to go anywhere on I-85 during the morning or evening rush hours. I spend a total of three hours a day at least commuting between Spartanburg and Greenville right now, about 25 miles apart.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:52 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
Good points all in all, but I think if you were to spend more time here you'd change your mind on the roads. Woefully inefficient, no shoulders in many cases, and the freeways can't handle the traffic. I'd recommend you live near your workplace. You will greatly regret having to go anywhere on I-85 during the morning or evening rush hours. I spend a total of three hours a day at least commuting between Spartanburg and Greenville right now, about 25 miles apart.
I don't have the pleasure of commuting, as I work from home, but my son commutes from Greenville to Greer everyday on I-85 and it takes him about 30 minutes. He leaves the house about 8:20. Don't know if it is worse earlier. When traffic is bad in the evening he takes the back roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area