U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:49 PM

7,560 posts, read 3,958,269 times

Advertisements

BMW is a foreign company and the upstate has a ton of foreign companies, despite not having an airport with international flights.

Anyway, Halloween and candy time. Good night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 04:56 PM

884 posts, read 432,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
BMW is a foreign company and the upstate has a ton of foreign companies, despite not having an airport with international flights.
It's not a regional headquarters either. The airport is significant reason that Porsche and Mercedes put their respective North American headquarters in Atlanta.

I don't think GSP area has any chance but it is a good way to get its name out there.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:59 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,380,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm with you. Small sustained growth is good and it also can be manageable.

I doubt if the majority of the residents here want the Upstate to become "Charlanta". We would prefer to have our own unique identity.

Amazon would crush that.
It is already in the area considered Charlanta.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:17 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,863,401 times
Welp, says people are calling Greenville "horrible", gets refuted on what people are actually saying, says "good night." Typical.

As per the discussion, there's currently a study going about high speed rail from Atlanta to Chattanooga that actually could happen. Even some Atlantans are confused as to why it's not being proposed between Atlanta and Greenville or Charlotte instead.

If Atlanta does land HQ2, the Upstate will see some benefits, but theyd probably be multiplied if the high speed rail was there.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:36 PM

17 posts, read 8,193 times
If Amazon comes here I will be excited but I will not exactly be devastated if they do not because the GSP metro is already booming anyway and it's not like we are absolutely suffering as a metro area.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:29 PM

10,341 posts, read 20,605,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Welp, says people are calling Greenville "horrible", gets refuted on what people are actually saying, says "good night." Typical.

As per the discussion, there's currently a study going about high speed rail from Atlanta to Chattanooga that actually could happen. Even some Atlantans are confused as to why it's not being proposed between Atlanta and Greenville or Charlotte instead.

If Atlanta does land HQ2, the Upstate will see some benefits, but theyd probably be multiplied if the high speed rail was there.
Southeast Corridor Chattanooga???

Old 10-31-2017, 07:32 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,863,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Yes Chattanooga and Atlanta along the 75 corridor.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/11/1...ail-study-gdot

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/10/1...ne-development

Old 10-31-2017, 07:34 PM

913 posts, read 2,308,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Yeah, Chattanooga.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/20...to-chattanooga

Old 10-31-2017, 08:26 PM

7,560 posts, read 3,958,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
It's not a regional headquarters either. The airport is significant reason that Porsche and Mercedes put their respective North American headquarters in Atlanta.

I don't think GSP area has any chance but it is a good way to get its name out there.
Greenville is one of the fastest growing metros in the country so I'm not sure why you think it needs to get its name out there. It gets praised and hyped up all the time in various lists and articles in the media.

I'm not seeing anything in Amazon's criteria that states that it will not consider a metro that doesn't have light rail or a subway. It does state that its 'ideal' site would have 'access to mass transit' and 'Direct access to rail, train, subway/metro, bus routes'

This does not seem like something that would be applicable to a metro the size of Greenville. Commute times in Greenville via car are generally going to be shorter than using mass transit in a heavily populated city.

It looks like the only thing Greenville can't provide right now, based on Amazon's 'KEY PREFERENCES AND DECISION DRIVERS' list is direct flights to Seattle and San/Fran but if Amazon locates here, I think there will be direct flights to those cities because there will be enough demand at that point. I doubt Charleston had direct flights to Seattle prior to Boeing locating there.

I think Greenville can make a great pitch as business friendly and having a great quality of life, which are two of Amazon's decision drivers.

After reading this decision driver,
'We want to
invest in a community where our employees will enjoy living, recreational opportunities, educational opportunities, and an overall high quality of life., it isn't surprising Greenville is making a push for it. It is near the Blue Ridge, has mild winters, a great downtown, not far from the beach, and less traffic than the big cities.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-31-2017 at 08:54 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 05:27 AM

5,782 posts, read 6,556,065 times
I was reading somewhere that some consultants believe that no city with less that 4 million people will land the HQ2.

Besides adequate infrastructure, Amazon will need 50k "highly skilled" people, not "blue collar" jobs.

Not to knock this area, but it would even be difficult for cities like Pittsburgh, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, Charlotte, Cincinnati, or Denver to scale up to 50,000 skilled workers over the next decade, according to consultants that Amazon has hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area