U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 10:58 AM

7,552 posts, read 3,954,708 times

Advertisements

Ok again you stated mass transit is not a 'requirement' . It states 'ideal' site would have access to subway, rail, etc. I don't think that applies to a small metro like Greenville with shorter commute times.

If they acccepted a bid from Greenville and even much smaller cities, then it doesn't make sense to believe mass transit is a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 10:59 AM

3,205 posts, read 5,019,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Are you posting on other city forums and talking about Amazon's chances to get it?
No. Because i didnt live in those metros for 9 years leading to a knowledge of the area and infrastructure and doing construction engineering.

Quote:
Your comment wasn't fact based because mass transit is not a 'requirement' . It states 'ideal' site would have access to subway, rail, etc. I don't think that applies to a small metro like Greenville with shorter commute times.
My comment is fact based because it was a *DIRECT QUOTE* from the RFP. Additionally, your personal opinion that it doesnt apply to a stronger metro has no merit beyond your opinion. It is listed as a site requirement under core preferences. Additionally, they arent looking at smaller metros, as another site requirement is a minimum metro population of 1,000,000.

I think im done discussing this. It is listed as a 'site requirement'. My post was a direct quote. And additionally, your personal opinion for why it doesnt matter (small metro) violates another one of the core site requirements.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:02 AM

Ok, so they took bids from cities much smaller than Greenville but it is a requirement that is a large metro.

Why would any city want Amazon if is stringing people along and not going to seriously consider proposals from smaller metros. That seems shady to me. These city leaders are paid with tax payer money so it would be absurd for Amazon to tie them up if they aren't going to give serious consideration to the proposal.

Train and subway in Greenville would be impractical in Greenville and not be reducing commute time for significant number of people so I don't understand how mass transit be held against Greenville.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-02-2017 at 11:18 AM..

Old 11-02-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Ok, so they took bids from cities much smaller than Greenville but it is a requirement that is a large metro.

Why would any city want Amazon if is stringing people along and not going to seriously consider proposals from smaller metros. That seems shady to me. These city leaders are paid with tax payer money so it would be absurd for Amazon to tie them up if they aren't going to give serious consideration to the proposal.
Amazon did not tie them up. It's an *open*, public proposal. If those smaller city leaders spent time and money to put together a proposal it was their personal call, not Amazon stringing them along. Amazon put their requirements in the RFP. If smaller metros decide to ignore the preferences and requirements to 'dream big' that is on them. And I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, depending on how much public money was used for the proposal. But it's not like Bezos knocked on Greenville's door and said 'here's the proposal, bid on it'. The leaders in the GSP area saw the public proposal and decided themselves to go after it.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:14 AM

If the requirements are clearly stated, why would people submit bids if the city doesn't meet the requirements. It seems to me that they would pursue companies that they have a shot of getting.

Isn't Amazon listing all the cities that apply as though they are all under consideration?

Old 11-02-2017, 11:16 AM

29,777 posts, read 27,202,592 times
Quote:
It is kind of interesting that there have been 3 or 4 people on this thread who don't live in Greenville telling us that Amazon won't come here as though they are executives working for Amazon.
I don't have to live in Greenville. I know plenty about Greenville and I'm literate. Just because you only choose to post in the Greenville forum and about Greenville in the general forums doesn't mean everyone else should be as restrictive, especially those who are familiar with several other cities.

Quote:
Given so many cities are bidding for Amazon, what is about Greenville that motivates these people to post about Greenville's chances of getting it. I know that I don't care about the chances of another city getting it. I don't even care if Greenville gets it.
I'd say the same in similar threads in the Columbia and Charleston forums but they don't exist. And I have commented on several other city forums about HQ2, including those I also think are long shots.

As long as I'm respectful and adhering to the TOS, I'm as free to post here as anywhere else.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
If the requirements are clearly stated, why would people submit bids if the city doesn't meet the requirements.

Isn't Amazon listing all the cities that apply as though they are all under consideration?
I can't answer that one. But the requirements are clearly stated and people did submit bids that dont meet them. I'm sure they are of course hoping to have something unique that causes Amazon to stray from the requirements. I see people make these 'dream' pitches/proposals all the time in my professional world. It is successful sometimes, but on a very small percentage.

Amazon is listing all the cities that submit, partially I'm sure as 'bragging' rights and publicity to show how desired they are, in hopes of boosting competition. I imagine they will review them all. I don't of course know what Amazon is thinking behind the curtain. But most people dont put requirements in an RFP unless they are important.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:20 AM

173 posts, read 104,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
No. Because i didnt live in those metros for 9 years leading to a knowledge of the area and infrastructure and doing construction engineering.

My comment is fact based because it was a *DIRECT QUOTE* from the RFP. Additionally, your personal opinion that it doesnt apply to a stronger metro has no merit beyond your opinion. It is listed as a site requirement under core preferences. Additionally, they arent looking at smaller metros, as another site requirement is a minimum metro population of 1,000,000.

I think im done discussing this. It is listed as a 'site requirement'. My post was a direct quote. And additionally, your personal opinion for why it doesnt matter (small metro) violates another one of the core site requirements.
I get where you're coming from. No city is perfect and forums like this exist partly to discuss their problems and improvements. As someone who's from DFW I follow its development. Likewise, if I was to move back to Texas one day I'd still follow Greenville's development. It's best not to get drawn into Simpsonvilllian's pouting.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:21 AM

Ok, I don't see how it is bragging rights to make a push to get a company. This is just an corporate office.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-02-2017 at 11:31 AM..

Old 11-02-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
I get where you're coming from. No city is perfect and forums like this exist partly to discuss their problems and improvements. As someone who's from DFW I follow its development. Likewise, if I was to move back to Texas one day I'd still follow Greenville's development. It's best not to get drawn into Simpsonvilllian's pouting.
It is odd that you are accusing me of pouting, given all you do is complain about stuff on here. You accused me of being over positive and full of 'sunshine' just last night. You project your personality on me. Even me saying that I think Furman had a pretty good national reputation seems to anger you. You have pouted over me editing my posts.

You act like people are forcing you to live here.

I've never said Greenville is perfect. You keep making that dishonest assertion over and over because you don't like positive statements about Greenville. I don't think anyplace is perfect and I don't have a problem with places not being perfect. I don't understand why you look at Greenville forum if people making positive comments about Greenville annoys you, because that is bound to happen.

I've talked about crimes in Greenville on here and a person walking around with a snake downtown that bit a kid. Going with your narrative about me, I would never mention any crimes in Greenville. There is nothing worse than murder and rape and yet I mentioned these crimes in Greenville.

I never said a person not in Greenville can't post on here. I'm just wondering why people in other cities care about Greenville's chances of getting Amazon. If you don't think there any chance Greenville could get it, it doesn't seem like you would be motivated to even talk about it especially if you don't even live in Greenville.

If Greenville does not meet the requirements, it is odd that Amazon has it listed on their website.

Greenville obviously has something if all these people who live in big cities and prefer big cities are routinely look at and posting on the Greenville forum. They are probably not looking at the Greenville NC forum.

I've said that I think it probably will go to a bigger city because of airport with more direct national flights and international flights. So obviously I never said or implied that Greenville is 'perfect'.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-02-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area