Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:05 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times

Advertisements

Calling the upstate area "Charlanta", local officials are hoping to have a snowballs chance among 238 other proposals across the US to land the new Amazon HQ2. It expects to invest more than $5 billion in construction and grow HQ2 to include as many as 50,000 high-paying jobs, according to a statement from Amazon.

Spartanburg, Greenville sharpen focus with Amazon HQ2 bid - News - GoUpstate - Spartanburg, SC

Do you think this area has a chance or is it a pipe dream?? Do we really want this?

It would bring in a lot of $$ into economy, but how would it affect our infrastructure, home prices, schools, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 07:16 AM

308 posts, read 270,231 times
It's a pipe dream. Greenville is not big enough nor is GSP in terms of number of flights and destinations. The mass transit Amazon is looking for is not here either.

The roads here are not being updated to handle the growth we have now. Landing something like this would put a strain on infrastructure and housing that would not be pleasant. There's a good reason Amazon steered the requirements towards large cities. If they were to somehow award the new headquarters to a smaller city I don't think it would work out well for the people who already live there.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:21 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,674 times
Agreed. I was surprised yesterday when I read the article. It will not happen. The infrastructure just isn't here. However, the work done in preparing the bid may prove to be helpful for future efforts.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:22 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
I would love this so much, but no. SC hasnt done the things to get us at that level yet. These are the projects i’d like to see the state strive for more though, instead of factory after factory. I like that a bid was put in no matter the odds.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
I agree on in the infrastructure points. The bid will help expose our weaknesses and push our leaders to strive to make the appropriate course corrections for the future of our area.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:23 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
There is a slim chance. I like that our leaders think big and go after things like this. They may not get this, but they'll get something big eventually.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:11 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
Thinking Atlanta may get this (which might even benefit the Upstate)

Old 10-30-2017, 05:29 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Agreed. We could get a lot of spinoff services and businesses. As well as the new employees driving up for events and weekend trips.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:30 PM

632 posts, read 748,693 times
I, for one, hope Amazon doesn't choose the GSP area. I witnessed what BMW caused in the way of changes and they brought in nowhere near the 50,000 jobs that Amazon is promising. Even with a very conservative estimate, we'd be looking at about 150,000 additional people, before any other supporting industries moved in. Problems with infrastructure, traffic, sprawl... all of the regularly posted complaints, would increase geometrically.

In my mind it's a formula for the destruction of everything we all find so appealing here. As a local, I've had few problems with the growth this area has seen in recent years, but the area's "quaint charm" and "relaxed ambience" will be the first casualties of what many would mistakenly call progress. I'd put my home on the market and find somewhere a little less crowded and a lot more user friendly to settle.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:50 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
This is what I was thinking. Atlanta ticks many of the boxes for Amazon's requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area