U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

10,877 posts, read 23,718,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I predict in 5 years retail re-development will take off on Laurens - parts of this road have 6 lanes - the new Verdae development will attract upscale shopping and the Bi-Lo shopping center should undergo a facelift once Bi-Lo folds - any Laurens Road development will take pressure off Woodruff, esp for residents from Pleasantburg, Parkins Mill, Verdae, and south DT Greenville.
I agree and it would be a perfect location. It would really be convenient for the locations that you mentioned. It be nice to fill up some of those empty buildings as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

9,734 posts, read 18,880,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverML View Post
Bike Lane. Really? Aren't we supposed to work on decreasing traffic jams instead of increasing it? It would be suicide to ride on that road.
I donít see how having a bike lane in addition to these improvements would hurt anything.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

15,815 posts, read 13,505,405 times
Verdae and Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research have streets with bike lanes. I do not see anything wrong with bike lanes on a parallel road to Woodruff Road.

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

88 posts, read 35,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastermaster83 View Post
Too little, too late...They aren't planning on having this crap done till 2045 that's another 28 years...do you really think Woodruff road can survive that much longer.
2045 I think was used just for long-range analysis.The timeline in one of the slides indicates construction starting in 2022/2023. That's still a long time to suffer under the current configuration though, maybe long enough to spur retail to move elsewhere.

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
2045 I think was used just for long-range analysis.The timeline in one of the slides indicates construction starting in 2022/2023. That's still a long time to suffer under the current configuration though, maybe long enough to spur retail to move elsewhere.
The new road going by Piedmont Gas will be complete within the next year though.

Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
Status: "chasing waterfalls in Waterfall City" (set 15 days ago)

4,441 posts, read 1,899,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
LOL. I agree .Just wait. By then many of the big boxes will have left Woodruff for newer buildings and developments further out like they left Laurens Rd a ghost town after it was widened to move to Woodruff Rd.
Laurens Road isn't a ghost town. Most of the spaces in the shopping centers are occupied. It has most of the car dealerships as well.

I can only think of two things that left Laurens for Woodruff. Sam's Club and Best Buy.

There were multiple stores that closed but didn't relocate, like K-mart and Books A Million. I think Sports Authority opened up a 2nd location at the old Oshman's location behind the movie theater on Woodruff but both locations closed soon after that.

Laurens is a busy road during rush hour and lunch hour so widening to 6 lanes wasn't pointless.

Last edited by Simpsonvilllian; Yesterday at 09:17 PM..

Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Construction slated to start in March 2021 with completion in September 2023.

Old Today, 07:16 AM

12 posts, read 6,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Laurens Road isn't a ghost town. Most of the spaces in the shopping centers are occupied. It has most of the car dealerships as well.

I can only think of two things that left Laurens for Woodruff. Sam's Club and Best Buy.

There were multiple stores that closed but didn't relocate, like K-mart and Books A Million. I think Sports Authority opened up a 2nd location at the old Oshman's location behind the movie theater on Woodruff but both locations closed soon after that.

Laurens is a busy road during rush hour and lunch hour so widening to 6 lanes wasn't pointless.
Yeah Laurens is definitely picking up. It's not obvious yet, but there's an overall Verdae development plan which includes parts of Laurens Rd. The old Bojangles next to Hooters is being torn down and will become a Starbucks, and anytime a Starbucks is present, that usually means a lot more traffic is predicted for the area.

Also, downtown on the west side there will be two former warehouses turned into food halls (The Commons and Gathers Food Court 2.0) and that is sure to draw business to Laurens, since it's between downtown and Woodruff Rd.

I also like that the plans for Woodruff include alternate routes to Market Point Drive which is almost impossible to get to without going through Woodruff. Restaurants like Otto Izakaya deserve more business and they suffer because of the Woodruff congestion and a lot of people don't even know it's back there. Also they are building that new concert venue behind Whole Foods (The Firmament) so they definitely need more access points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area