U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:12 AM

816 posts, read 1,109,847 times

Advertisements

Bilo is depressing. I worked at one in Columbia and the Clemson one for three years or so off and on during high school and breaks at college. Everything is the same as it was then (almost a decade ago). Some of the stores in the area are way worse and dated even compared to when I used to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 09:19 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,418,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
they have good deals up front sometimes with the BOGO's , but they are as high as Publix or Ingles on some things , sometimes higher . With a name like BI-LO , you'd think they would be cheaper competing with Walmart .

Their slogan ought to be "We Bi-Lo and then Sell-Hi"

In the current market it's hard to compete with Walmart and Aldi on price.

That leaves a few areas to beat Walmart and Aldi at -- you can have a better selection of upscale items (Publix, Whole Foods, newer Ingles stores), you can be more convenient (Publix, Ingles), you can be cleaner, or you can provide better service.

The Bi-Lo stores I've been in the last 10 years or so seem to fail on all fronts. They have high prices, a poor selection, aren't easy to get in and out, the stores look dated, and the level of service is poor in the stores I've been in. Two out of the last three Bi-Lo stores I walked into had a distinct smell of rancid cooking oil wafting out from the deli - not something that entices a customer to buy more food.

Back when Bi-Lo had corporate offices and a distribution center in our area, you could argue that shopping there supported a large number of local jobs. They no longer employ more in the area than many of their competitors.

There isn't much of a reason for most of us to shop there anymore. I predict they will exit this market in under 10 years.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 AM

2,026 posts, read 1,178,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
BI-LO stores have not operated and performed well in recent years. They have not kept up with additional competitors in varying grocery retail segments. Market exits and store closings have become frequent. BI-LO will not improve by increasing its prices to pay its increasing expenses, preparing stores for closure, and thinning out its workforce.
I have seen at least 3 different BiLos with Help Wanted signs in the last 6 months. If they are cutting back on employees, they arent doing it at these 3 stores. As far as prices, every body raises prices at some point, they almost have to when their suppliers do.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Their slogan ought to be "We Bi-Lo and then Sell-Hi"

In the current market it's hard to compete with Walmart and Aldi on price.

That leaves a few areas to beat Walmart and Aldi at -- you can have a better selection of upscale items (Publix, Whole Foods, newer Ingles stores), you can be more convenient (Publix, Ingles), you can be cleaner, or you can provide better service.

The Bi-Lo stores I've been in the last 10 years or so seem to fail on all fronts. They have high prices, a poor selection, aren't easy to get in and out, the stores look dated, and the level of service is poor in the stores I've been in. Two out of the last three Bi-Lo stores I walked into had a distinct smell of rancid cooking oil wafting out from the deli - not something that entices a customer to buy more food.

Back when Bi-Lo had corporate offices and a distribution center in our area, you could argue that shopping there supported a large number of local jobs. They no longer employ more in the area than many of their competitors.

There isn't much of a reason for most of us to shop there anymore. I predict they will exit this market in under 10 years.
Walmarts prices are cheaper on alot of items, as well as Aldis, but neither carry the items my family uses, or I should say the brands. I use the SVL Walmart, and Laurens Aldi as a reference.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,418,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Walmarts prices are cheaper on alot of items, as well as Aldis, but neither carry the items my family uses, or I should say the brands. I use the SVL Walmart, and Laurens Aldi as a reference.
What brands do they carry at Bi-Lo that you can't find at Wal-Mart?

Old 11-13-2017, 10:22 AM

One that pops in my head is BBQ sauce. Wife like the Kraft brand. WalMart in SVL does not, or did not carry it. At one point, all they had was the Sweet Baby Rays. Seems though, when the Neighborhood Market was in Gray Court, they had it. There was also some lunch meat they didnt have, but I dont recall what it was. Im sure if I thought aabout it I could come up with more. I havent shopped Wal Mart for groceries in a couple of years. again, this was just the WM in Simpsonville, other stores may carry it, or have a better selection.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:59 AM

15,885 posts, read 13,594,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I have seen at least 3 different BiLos with Help Wanted signs in the last 6 months. If they are cutting back on employees, they arent doing it at these 3 stores. As far as prices, every body raises prices at some point, they almost have to when their suppliers do.
I have seen several BI-LO stores with "We are hiring" window clings. Those stores could be filling positions vacated by associates who have moved onto better paying jobs or stable employers.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I have seen several BI-LO stores with "We are hiring" window clings. Those stores could be filling positions vacated by associates who have moved onto better paying jobs or stable employers.
IF they are hiring, how is that "thinning out their workforce", as you stated? Are they letting people go, then hiring new people? I just trying to understand why comments are being made about BiLos closing, when Im not seeing it. IS it just in certain areas, or are you assuming they are closing the store(s) since they closed the pharmacies, delis and/or bakeries?

Old 11-13-2017, 11:33 AM

15,885 posts, read 13,594,195 times
Full-time department non-management positions have been eliminated. A full-time associate working in a department as a clerk was reduced to part-time. I have heard associates had to reapply for their jobs for part-time with a reduced pay grade. Associates not wanting a reduction from full-time to part-time and a reduction in pay separated. The vacated positions can be internally filled from associates at stores in the process of closing. This has happened.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:10 PM

33 posts, read 16,070 times
Quote:
Full-time department non-management positions have been eliminated. A full-time associate working in a department as a clerk was reduced to part-time. I have heard associates had to reapply for their jobs for part-time with a reduced pay grade. Associates not wanting a reduction from full-time to part-time and a reduction in pay separated. The vacated positions can be internally filled from associates at stores in the process of closing. This has happened.
I have friends who works for Bi-Lo. Some of them have been there for a while. They have been transferred to other Bi-Lo locations to cut down on payroll and to fill the vacant position that needs to be filled. Bi-Lo is currently treading on water since many of their customers have move on to other competitors. The grocery competitor around our area have impacted their profit, causing many BiLo to fall back on Losses. Hiring position at Bilo are for part-time position with minimum wage pays which could also explain the need for constant hires. I have a feeling that there will be upcoming announcement for more future BiLo store closings for underperforming locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area