U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:37 PM

15,888 posts, read 13,594,195 times

Advertisements

Southeastern Grocers announcing another round of BI-LO, Harvey's, and Winn-Dixie store closings is inevitable. An announcement and any action could occur in January after the holiday season has passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 04:18 PM

18,983 posts, read 23,373,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Walmarts prices are cheaper on alot of items, as well as Aldis, but neither carry the items my family uses, or I should say the brands. I use the SVL Walmart, and Laurens Aldi as a reference.
I transitioned from weekly shopping to monthly. I go to Aldi & Lidl once a month. Usually 2 - 3 weeks later I go to Ingles. Occasionally I go to Walmart Neighborhood Market for half a dozen things that no one else carries. It takes a couple of months to get the stock in the house to do that, but once you do, you aren't running all over wasting gas.

If you don't like Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce you won't like Aldi's. I buy paper goods at Aldi.

If you go to a Lidl & the nearest Aldi to the Lidl, you'll save the most money, because they're going at each other. It will more than pay for your gas. Lidl is selling "Kleenex" boxes of 184 for .79 while Aldi is selling boxes of 160 for .69, at the stores that I go to. You can't get them that cheap at Dollar Tree. They buy all or most paper goods from the same manufacturer that Ingles gets their Laura Lynn paper goods from.

If you just can't do the monthly method, try doing it every other week. Everyone has certain things that they use frequently. Buy a few extras of those items & you can put off shopping for a few days. It doesn't break the bank. I've gone between Aldi & Ingles for years. By adding Lidl to the mix, I saved a lot of money the last 2 months.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:15 PM

2,026 posts, read 1,178,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I transitioned from weekly shopping to monthly. I go to Aldi & Lidl once a month. Usually 2 - 3 weeks later I go to Ingles. Occasionally I go to Walmart Neighborhood Market for half a dozen things that no one else carries. It takes a couple of months to get the stock in the house to do that, but once you do, you aren't running all over wasting gas.

If you don't like Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce you won't like Aldi's. I buy paper goods at Aldi.

If you go to a Lidl & the nearest Aldi to the Lidl, you'll save the most money, because they're going at each other. It will more than pay for your gas. Lidl is selling "Kleenex" boxes of 184 for .79 while Aldi is selling boxes of 160 for .69, at the stores that I go to. You can't get them that cheap at Dollar Tree. They buy all or most paper goods from the same manufacturer that Ingles gets their Laura Lynn paper goods from.

If you just can't do the monthly method, try doing it every other week. Everyone has certain things that they use frequently. Buy a few extras of those items & you can put off shopping for a few days. It doesn't break the bank. I've gone between Aldi & Ingles for years. By adding Lidl to the mix, I saved a lot of money the last 2 months.
The bulk of our groceries are bought once every 6 weeks or so. We catch certain items, not at Sams, on sale, and usually stock up then. Our weekly items, such as milk, bread, etc I can pick up at Bilo since I work less than a mile from one, and can be there in like 3 minutes. (We also get these at Sams when we go, but I'm not going all the way to Greenville for milk and bread outside of our visits to Sams.) On the rare occasions we are at Aldis, IF its not an Aldis branded item, like their canned vegetables, we get it if we need it.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:34 PM

18,983 posts, read 23,373,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
The bulk of our groceries are bought once every 6 weeks or so. We catch certain items, not at Sams, on sale, and usually stock up then. Our weekly items, such as milk, bread, etc I can pick up at Bilo since I work less than a mile from one, and can be there in like 3 minutes. (We also get these at Sams when we go, but I'm not going all the way to Greenville for milk and bread outside of our visits to Sams.) On the rare occasions we are at Aldis, IF its not an Aldis branded item, like their canned vegetables, we get it if we need it.
Do you think that the Aldi brand items are inferior? Mostly they're coming from major producers & the places that the better store brands for regular grocery stores come from. When Clearwater Paper opened a plant in Shelby they ran an ad in the local papers telling which grocers in the area carried their products. That's how I know that Aldi & Ingles carry their products. I've also seen shelves being stocked out of major manufacturer's boxes, with the products having Aldi labels.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:31 PM

2,026 posts, read 1,178,800 times
Oh, I'm well aware that many items in grocery stores are also name brands with a different label. Each can of Aldis canned veggies we have gotten have been full of stems and pieces. The chips have been stale or crushed, saltine and Ritz crackers all have a funny taste, I could go on. Weve gotten eggs, milk, bread, fruits, some frozen items and haven't had any problems. In fact, theres a few packs of their bagels in the freezer right now.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 AM

183 posts, read 222,613 times
So back to Bi-Lo. I'm not a great finance guy but rich smart finance people know how to make money when things go up and down. Anyone know what the angle could be on Win-Dixie buying Bi-lo for someone to still make money? I mean those 2 combining are like Radio Shack and Circuit City combining. It's an anchor buying an anchor. Do you think it's hedged somehow for some money interest to make a good pay day when they bite the dust?

Old 11-14-2017, 08:38 AM

5,063 posts, read 5,666,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

We started shopping at the Wade Hampton Lidl several weeks ago and now the Woodruff Rd location. For a family of 5, we are saving at least 20%, maybe more over Food Lion. (So it was worth the drive from Simpsonville to Wade Hampton).

23 cents for a dozen eggs, and buck fifty for a gallon of milk is a good buy in my opinion.

Apparently BiLo can't compete with that.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,252,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
We started shopping at the Wade Hampton Lidl several weeks ago and now the Woodruff Rd location. For a family of 5, we are saving at least 20%, maybe more over Food Lion. (So it was worth the drive from Simpsonville to Wade Hampton).

23 cents for a dozen eggs, and buck fifty for a gallon of milk is a good buy in my opinion.

Apparently BiLo can't compete with that.
I wonder how long Lidl will be that cheap on milk and eggs or if that is just a loss leader for them to get people to try out the store.

I noticed Walmart Neighborhood markets near the WH Lidl like the one near Furman have lowered their prices on their brands like Great Value 2 ltr. soda to .44 ;chips to .80 and other items like eggs, Lidl must be putting a sting on them.

I have always found the Food Lion brands to be very fairly priced. I stop in the one near Moonville quite a bit. Much more than BI-LO and Publix brand prices.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 AM

5,072 posts, read 7,079,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
So back to Bi-Lo. I'm not a great finance guy but rich smart finance people know how to make money when things go up and down. Anyone know what the angle could be on Win-Dixie buying Bi-lo for someone to still make money? I mean those 2 combining are like Radio Shack and Circuit City combining. It's an anchor buying an anchor. Do you think it's hedged somehow for some money interest to make a good pay day when they bite the dust?
I read awhile back that they are ultimately owned by a private equity firm. The MO for those is to rack up huge amounts of debt while paying themselves fees and salaries on those debts. So it make sense that they bought two failing chains because the goal isn't to save the chains, but to profit off of their debt.

Just googled it and Bi-lo is owned by Southeastern Grocers, which is owned by Lone Star Funds (the private equity fund).

EDIT: Here ya go! From earlier this month:

Shed no tears for Lone Star Funds, the private-equity firm that invested about $150 million in a buyout of the Bi-Lo grocery chain in 2005.

By some accounts, Bi-Lo is close to default, putting in jeopardy about $1 billion of debt and 50,000 jobs at Winn-Dixie, Harveys, Fresco y Mas and its namesake stores. But Lone Star has already come out ahead, even after committing more capital. The firm has paid itself at least $800 million since 2012, regulatory filings show, and collected still more in management fees.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...g-for-its-life

Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 AM

15,888 posts, read 13,594,195 times
Lone Star Funds and Southeastern Grocers are messes that cannot be cleaned up. Two supermarkets that have been present across South Carolina, BI-LO and Winn-Dixie, may be no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area