U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,418,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
So back to Bi-Lo. I'm not a great finance guy but rich smart finance people know how to make money when things go up and down. Anyone know what the angle could be on Win-Dixie buying Bi-lo for someone to still make money? I mean those 2 combining are like Radio Shack and Circuit City combining. It's an anchor buying an anchor. Do you think it's hedged somehow for some money interest to make a good pay day when they bite the dust?
They just pay themselves huge sums of money for years until the company is completely milked dry and they can't get any more credit. Then they declare the company bankrupt and walk away rich since the bankruptcy of the company is not tied to the executives of the company in the US. In some European countries, if you are an executive of a company and it goes bankrupt, you are held personally financially responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 12:30 AM

18,983 posts, read 23,373,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Oh, I'm well aware that many items in grocery stores are also name brands with a different label. Each can of Aldis canned veggies we have gotten have been full of stems and pieces. The chips have been stale or crushed, saltine and Ritz crackers all have a funny taste, I could go on. Weve gotten eggs, milk, bread, fruits, some frozen items and haven't had any problems. In fact, theres a few packs of their bagels in the freezer right now.
Sorry to hear that. I've never had a problem with any of their products.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
We started shopping at the Wade Hampton Lidl several weeks ago and now the Woodruff Rd location. For a family of 5, we are saving at least 20%, maybe more over Food Lion. (So it was worth the drive from Simpsonville to Wade Hampton).

23 cents for a dozen eggs, and buck fifty for a gallon of milk is a good buy in my opinion.

Apparently BiLo can't compete with that.
I shop at the Aldi & Lidl in Gastonia. They're at the intersection of Union & Hudson as is a Bi-Lo. People are speculating how long it will take for the Bi-Lo to close.

As soon as the Lidl opened I saw price changes at the Aldi. On the "this week's sale" flyer at the entrance, on the back it lists several stores where the prices are valid. Each of the listed Aldis has a new Lidl neighbor. Aldi & Lidl are going at each other. Any other chain that thinks that they won't see an effect of it has delusional management. Aldi is also bringing in new products aimed at Lidl. I'm sure that, as new products prove to be popular, they'll be worked into other Aldis that have gotten the remodel.

A friend's stepdaughter works in a Bi-Lo near Greenville. I asked her last spring what Bi-Lo was doing to prepare for Lidl. She said nothing. She's in management in the store & her bosses said that Lidl is Aldi's problem. I wonder if the staff of Bi-Los caught in the buzz-saw of Aldi & Lidl going at it think that it doesn't effect them.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:05 AM

15,888 posts, read 13,594,195 times
I know three BI-LO supermarkets in Greenville and Pickens counties within proximity to Ingle's and Publix supermarkets, Walmart Supercenter hypermarkets, and Aldi limited assortment/discount grocery stores have closed in the past three years.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 11-15-2017 at 05:37 AM..

Old 11-15-2017, 02:40 PM

33 posts, read 16,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I shop at the Aldi & Lidl in Gastonia. They're at the intersection of Union & Hudson as is a Bi-Lo. People are speculating how long it will take for the Bi-Lo to close.

As soon as the Lidl opened I saw price changes at the Aldi. On the "this week's sale" flyer at the entrance, on the back it lists several stores where the prices are valid. Each of the listed Aldis has a new Lidl neighbor. Aldi & Lidl are going at each other. Any other chain that thinks that they won't see an effect of it has delusional management. Aldi is also bringing in new products aimed at Lidl. I'm sure that, as new products prove to be popular, they'll be worked into other Aldis that have gotten the remodel.

A friend's stepdaughter works in a Bi-Lo near Greenville. I asked her last spring what Bi-Lo was doing to prepare for Lidl. She said nothing. She's in management in the store & her bosses said that Lidl is Aldi's problem. I wonder if the staff of Bi-Los caught in the buzz-saw of Aldi & Lidl going at it think that it doesn't effect them.
I agree with you. There is a price war between the grocery stores which is very good for us the consumers. When Lidl move in, Aldi around the area have to adjust their prices. The best thing about it is that we the consumer wins. If BiLo doesn't do anything about it, their future within the area is dim. In Greenville, when the new Lidl opened on woodruff rd. The price of milk and egg at Aldi and Walmart dropped a significant amount to compete with Lidl. I have not been to the BiLo or Publix around that area to see if they have also dropped their price on those products to reflect the price war.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverML View Post
I agree with you. There is a price war between the grocery stores which is very good for us the consumers. When Lidl move in, Aldi around the area have to adjust their prices. The best thing about it is that we the consumer wins. If BiLo doesn't do anything about it, their future within the area is dim. In Greenville, when the new Lidl opened on woodruff rd. The price of milk and egg at Aldi and Walmart dropped a significant amount to compete with Lidl. I have not been to the BiLo or Publix around that area to see if they have also dropped their price on those products to reflect the price war.
Nothing is safe from the price cuts. I usually buy several rolls of the .49 paper towels at Aldi. They aren't the greatest, but they're fine for certain things, saving more expensive paper towels for when they're needed. It saves money in the long run. Lidl brought in some just about like them at .45, so Aldi dropped their price to .45. Not a big deal, but a few bucks over the course of a year. It's a bonanza for customers. September & October are usually the months that I spend the most. I saved about $100 a month for each of those months.

Bi-Lo is dead meat.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:12 PM

9,748 posts, read 18,906,960 times
I haven’t stepped foot inside a Bi-Lo since they announced their corporate headquarters moving to Jacksonville years ago. Good riddance.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:37 AM

388 posts, read 745,375 times
Quote:
In Greenville, when the new Lidl opened on woodruff rd. The price of milk and egg at Aldi and Walmart dropped a significant amount to compete with Lidl. I have not been to the BiLo or Publix around that area to see if they have also dropped their price on those products to reflect the price war.
Nope, no changes in either that I've noticed.

Old Yesterday, 01:18 AM

33 posts, read 16,070 times
I talked to one of the cashier at Aldi's on Woodruff rd in Greenville. She said that ever since Lidl opened down the street from them. Lidl have cutted into half of their business traffic. They will try to match the price or beat the price for products similar to what Lidl carries. Now that is what I call trying to compete with your competitors. If BiLo, don't get on par with what is going around them. I doubt they will be in business any longer.

Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM

Quote:
I talked to one of the cashier at Aldi's on Woodruff rd in Greenville. She said that ever since Lidl opened down the street from them. Lidl have cutted into half of their business traffic. They will try to match the price or beat the price for products similar to what Lidl carries. Now that is what I call trying to compete with your competitors. If BiLo, don't get on par with what is going around them. I doubt they will be in business any longer.
I plan to go to both today. I posted the Aldi stores listed on the "this week's sale" flyer on the grocery thread on the Charlotte board. I'll post the list here after I go, in case the list has changed. I noticed that no Upstate stores were on the list. I suspect that you're in a different district. Bi-Lo is as good as done. I have no clue what's going on at Food Lion. It's not helping them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area