U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:32 AM

66 posts, read 64,918 times

Advertisements

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...g-for-its-life

Things are looking bad for Bi-Lo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 09:36 AM

4,414 posts, read 2,560,295 times
Things haven't looked good for Bilo in well, years. They'll be in the history books soon unless they get a major investment, or they'll go to a small town niche like Piggly Wiggly.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:54 AM

15,865 posts, read 13,547,956 times
Several BI-LO, Harvey's, and Winn-Dixie stores are in the process of closing. Prepare for another announcement of stores closing and exits from specific markets.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:02 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,246,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Several BI-LO, Harvey's, and Winn-Dixie stores are in the process of closing. Prepare for another announcement of stores closing and exits from specific markets.
I don't see how the BI-LO at Woodruff Rd and East Butler will possibly survive now being basically surrounded by Aldi, Lidl, Publix, Walmart, Fresh Market and Sprouts coming soon. The Walmart-Aldi combo alone has been lethal for several area BI-LO stores like Taylors, Easley and the BI-LO off White Horse and Easley Bridge Rd.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:29 PM

31 posts, read 15,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I don't see how the BI-LO at Woodruff Rd and East Butler will possibly survive now being basically surrounded by Aldi, Lidl, Publix, Walmart, Fresh Market and Sprouts coming soon. The Walmart-Aldi combo alone has been lethal for several area BI-LO stores like Taylors, Easley and the BI-LO off White Horse and Easley Bridge Rd.
Yes, seeing about 5-10 car at most at that Bi-Lo location, I doubt they will be in open for business any longer.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:06 PM

144 posts, read 64,356 times
they have good deals up front sometimes with the BOGO's , but they are as high as Publix or Ingles on some things , sometimes higher . With a name like BI-LO , you'd think they would be cheaper competing with Walmart .

Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,171,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
they have good deals up front sometimes with the BOGO's , but they are as high as Publix or Ingles on some things , sometimes higher . With a name like BI-LO , you'd think they would be cheaper competing with Walmart .

Its different for everybody. Some swear by certain stores, while others swear by others. We compared a few items on our grocery lists for a couple of weeks, BiLo was cheaper than Publix by 4 bucks. A few of those items were cheaper at Aldis. I'm not driving all over to place to save 4 or 5 bucks. Wes hop Bilo, Sams and Ingles simple because it saves us the most money for the items we buy.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,322,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Its different for everybody. Some swear by certain stores, while others swear by others. We compared a few items on our grocery lists for a couple of weeks, BiLo was cheaper than Publix by 4 bucks. A few of those items were cheaper at Aldis. I'm not driving all over to place to save 4 or 5 bucks. Wes hop Bilo, Sams and Ingles simple because it saves us the most money for the items we buy.
For me it is different. I DO drive to different stores to get their sale items. My husband does the Publix shopping because it is in his way hone from work, but the list I give him has shrunk to about 2-3 items and some weeks, 0. I would say about half of what I buy comes from Aldi, and the other half is evenly split between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I was just making my son's lunch this morning, and marveling at the full bag of chips I got from Lidl (go there about once a month) and the price compared to any of the other stores, with the exception of Aldi. Bilo is the closest to me but I rarely go there. Just don't like the whole atmosphere and they carry very little that I want or need that I can't get at my preferred stores at a better price. (At Publix we always do the BOGOs).

Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,171,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
For me it is different. I DO drive to different stores to get their sale items. My husband does the Publix shopping because it is in his way hone from work, but the list I give him has shrunk to about 2-3 items and some weeks, 0. I would say about half of what I buy comes from Aldi, and the other half is evenly split between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I was just making my son's lunch this morning, and marveling at the full bag of chips I got from Lidl (go there about once a month) and the price compared to any of the other stores, with the exception of Aldi. Bilo is the closest to me but I rarely go there. Just don't like the whole atmosphere and they carry very little that I want or need that I can't get at my preferred stores at a better price. (At Publix we always do the BOGOs).
Thats exactly what Im talking about. BiLo has what we want/need/use. We dont need fancy stores to get those items. We buy our bulk items at Sams, and the amount we save more than pays for the card, but the Gvl and Spartanburg stores are lacking in some of the items we originally got the card for. But the Anderson stores does. For example our Kcups. But sometimes BiLo has them on sale. I looked at Publix Saturday night, they were 1 dollar higher than the same ones at BiLo. At Sams, I basically save 7 bucks on 100. We do sometimes go to Aldis, but its rare. Wife likes the pineapples and blackberries, so if we need something, we get it while we are there, same thing for Ingles. Im not going to 3 different stores, just to save a few bucks which Ill probably burn out in gas. (Keep in mind, I dont live in Greenville, stores are further apart for me.) Short of it is, I see people on here bashing BiLo because they have had a bad experience in one, or because the prices are higher for the items they use, and condemning one store or the other because "they closed their pharmacy", so the store(s) are closing.

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

15,865 posts, read 13,547,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Thats exactly what Im talking about. BiLo has what we want/need/use. We dont need fancy stores to get those items. We buy our bulk items at Sams, and the amount we save more than pays for the card, but the Gvl and Spartanburg stores are lacking in some of the items we originally got the card for. But the Anderson stores does. For example our Kcups. But sometimes BiLo has them on sale. I looked at Publix Saturday night, they were 1 dollar higher than the same ones at BiLo. At Sams, I basically save 7 bucks on 100. We do sometimes go to Aldis, but its rare. Wife likes the pineapples and blackberries, so if we need something, we get it while we are there, same thing for Ingles. Im not going to 3 different stores, just to save a few bucks which Ill probably burn out in gas. (Keep in mind, I dont live in Greenville, stores are further apart for me.) Short of it is, I see people on here bashing BiLo because they have had a bad experience in one, or because the prices are higher for the items they use, and condemning one store or the other because "they closed their pharmacy", so the store(s) are closing.
BI-LO stores have not operated and performed well in recent years. They have not kept up with additional competitors in varying grocery retail segments. Market exits and store closings have become frequent. BI-LO will not improve by increasing its prices to pay its increasing expenses, preparing stores for closure, and thinning out its workforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area