U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 32 times

Advertisements

I have been stalking the forums for over a year now. Sorry for the long post.

Our story is similar to others. We currently live in NY, about an hour north of NYC. We are looking to relocate to the Greenville area next August/September. DH retires in August, but will look for work once we move. I work from home and will be taking my job with me. We have a son in college (in NY). We have scouted the area the last few years (Greenville, Traveler's Rest, Simpsonville, and just random driving around). We love the area. We will be coming down in May to look at some potential rentals. Renting prior to buying or building.

There are three places that I have on the list to look at. They are all by Redwood, but want to see each and the areas they are in.

Does anyone know anything about these complexes and the areas they are in?
The Ledges at Abner Creek - Greer
Prestwick Ridge by Redwood - Greer
Peachtree Place by Redwood - Simpsonville - We drove through this area last year, they were not built yet.

Are there any other places that anyone could recommend?
Criteria:
2 bedroom with den or 3 bedroom
2 bath
Garage parking - DH is a classic car collector and we have 2 classic cars that need to be garaged and parking for our daily drivers
Must accept pets-we have a small dog and a cat
Rental budget up to about $2,000 maybe more for the right place.

Would love to rent right downtown, but with the need for garage space and office space I am doubtful. We will look at McBee Station Apt though.

As for building or buying, I know we will have to make some sacrifices in our wants and that's ok. We really would love to be on a lake, maybe difficult since we'd like some acreage to build multi car garage. Also, we'd like to be in a town that has a downtown area maybe similar to Hendersonville. I'm sure the lakes maybe out in the middle of nowhere, but I'm hoping not as I'd like to be within a reasonable drive to grocery and some shopping.

Thanks in Advance for any help.
Natalie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:17 AM

235 posts, read 411,594 times
our job market here is booming so houses are selling quickly, and rentals go super fast for top dollar because A. they are at a premium , and B. Young people flock here for many reasons and are not buying homes until into their 30's. ( statistic from csnbc business).

simpsonville is super crowded, esp near woodruff road . We have friends that bought in that area and regret it because the traffic can be overwhelming. Greer is quickly becoming that way. You actually might find something in Travlers rest and it's just beautiful out there.

as far as lakes, Boiling springs is close to lake blalock which might be closer to what you want. and Lake Bowen , which is a much busier and more expensive . However, all new subdivisions have Home owners associations and because of your car's you may want to buy a piece of land out on your own, and find a builder. Be careful and stay away from vinyl siding before you do a little research on the product.
Good luck, we just relocated to the area and love it here!

Old Today, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 32 times
Thank you for the reply LPnerd. I've noticed that the housing prices have increased in the last year. Yes, definitely want to stay away from an HOA when we buy or build. We do like the Traveler's Rest area and that has really been #1 on our list. Trying to balance what we are looking for, but also stay within reason to places to go for our son.

Vinyl Siding?

Old Today, 06:33 PM

290 posts, read 312,037 times
My wife and I are living in Peachtree Place while our house is being built. It's been a positive experience all around.

We were both reluctant to move into a traditional apartment, even temporarily. The Greenville area is littered with "luxury apartments" that look gorgeous and have seemingly endless lists of amenities, but the actual construction might as well be cardboard and hot glue. My in-laws in particular are having a nightmare with the paper-thin walls / floors in their apartment on Verdae, never getting a moment's rest since they can hear everything their neighbors are doing as clear as day.

Peachtree is a nice break from that. Every unit has a two car garage. There's no one above you, below you, behind you, or in front of you. If you get an end unit, you'll only have one neighbor with adjoining walls. (Another bonus for being an end unit: they're slightly larger and have a better layout for a washer/dryer.) We don't actually have anyone next to us (fingers crossed that it stays that way!), so I can't speak to how sound carries between units, but it's a very quiet complex overall. I don't feel like I'm in an apartment, and that's really what I was looking for.

There are downsides, of course. There are no amenities (no workout center, swimming pool, etc.). The HVAC is on the loud side, which can be a headache while watching TV in the living room. There are vents over both bedroom doors (to facilitate air flow, I guess?), but that also makes it difficult to isolate sound. The appliances and cabinetry are not exactly high end but absolutely get the job done.

Those are so minor that I wouldn't even call them complaints, and if I were doing it all over again, I'd still have moved here without hesitation. I haven't seen anything like this elsewhere in Greenville. The units are well-maintained, and we haven't had a single issue in the several months we've been here. It's certainly in the price range you're looking for, meeting your requirements for a garage, bedroom count, and bathroom count. They're flexible about lease durations, depending on how long you feel like you'll need before building / buying a home of your own. It's pet-friendly for sure; sometimes we feel like we're the only folks here without a dog.

Don't sweat traffic concerns. The intersection of West Georgia and Standing Springs can get really hectic around rush hour, but otherwise, it's a breeze. There are two grocery stores and a couple of convenience stores in very close proximity. There's not much in the way of restaurants or shopping immediately nearby, but Fairview Rd. is a stone's throw away, with several routes to get there.

Old Today, 06:48 PM

3,236 posts, read 4,516,919 times
I don’t know anything about the complexes you mentioned but we rented at Crestmont at Thornblade for a couple months while we househunted. It’s a gate community right off I-85 and Pelham Road, tucked behind Michelin so it was very quiet.

Not sure about rent on larger units. We were going as cheap as possible and got a one-bedroom for around $900.

They also have garage units you can rent for $100 a month. We didn’t put cars in them but stored a lot of boxes and miscellaneous furniture.

The units were nice, clean and very quiet. It worked fairly well because we weren’t sure where we wanted to buy.

Best of luck.

Old Today, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 32 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
My wife and I are living in Peachtree Place while our house is being built. It's been a positive experience all around.

We were both reluctant to move into a traditional apartment, even temporarily. The Greenville area is littered with "luxury apartments" that look gorgeous and have seemingly endless lists of amenities, but the actual construction might as well be cardboard and hot glue. My in-laws in particular are having a nightmare with the paper-thin walls / floors in their apartment on Verdae, never getting a moment's rest since they can hear everything their neighbors are doing as clear as day.

Peachtree is a nice break from that. Every unit has a two car garage. There's no one above you, below you, behind you, or in front of you. If you get an end unit, you'll only have one neighbor with adjoining walls. (Another bonus for being an end unit: they're slightly larger and have a better layout for a washer/dryer.) We don't actually have anyone next to us (fingers crossed that it stays that way!), so I can't speak to how sound carries between units, but it's a very quiet complex overall. I don't feel like I'm in an apartment, and that's really what I was looking for.

There are downsides, of course. There are no amenities (no workout center, swimming pool, etc.). The HVAC is on the loud side, which can be a headache while watching TV in the living room. There are vents over both bedroom doors (to facilitate air flow, I guess?), but that also makes it difficult to isolate sound. The appliances and cabinetry are not exactly high end but absolutely get the job done.

Those are so minor that I wouldn't even call them complaints, and if I were doing it all over again, I'd still have moved here without hesitation. I haven't seen anything like this elsewhere in Greenville. The units are well-maintained, and we haven't had a single issue in the several months we've been here. It's certainly in the price range you're looking for, meeting your requirements for a garage, bedroom count, and bathroom count. They're flexible about lease durations, depending on how long you feel like you'll need before building / buying a home of your own. It's pet-friendly for sure; sometimes we feel like we're the only folks here without a dog.

Don't sweat traffic concerns. The intersection of West Georgia and Standing Springs can get really hectic around rush hour, but otherwise, it's a breeze. There are two grocery stores and a couple of convenience stores in very close proximity. There's not much in the way of restaurants or shopping immediately nearby, but Fairview Rd. is a stone's throw away, with several routes to get there.
Wow Adam. Thank you for responding. Sounds like where we live now. We sold our house last year and managed to get into military housing for the few months it was open to civilians. We have a loud vent in our living room too and the layout and the cabinetry here is a not much to be desired, but its only temporary. We have a swimming pool here, but we never use it. Fitness center too, we don't use. I go workout at a local boot camp facility. We are happy where we are now so it sounds like we'd be happy at Peachtree.

Paper thin walls is my fear with a traditional apartment.

Not too worried about the traffic. Can't be worse than NY traffic. We did drive by Peachtree this past may, but it wasn't completed. Seemed like a nice area. We will be down again in May to see some places. Doesn't seem like there are many places like Peachtree. Hopefully, they will have openings when we need a place.

Do you mind me asking where you are building?

Old Today, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 32 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I donít know anything about the complexes you mentioned but we rented at Crestmont at Thornblade for a couple months while we househunted. Itís a gate community right off I-85 and Pelham Road, tucked behind Michelin so it was very quiet.

Not sure about rent on larger units. We were going as cheap as possible and got a one-bedroom for around $900.

They also have garage units you can rent for $100 a month. We didnít put cars in them but stored a lot of boxes and miscellaneous furniture.

The units were nice, clean and very quiet. It worked fairly well because we werenít sure where we wanted to buy.

Best of luck.
Thank you. I will look into Crestmont. I am putting a list together of places to see when we are down in May. We too are trying to go as cheap as we can, but since I work from home I need an extra space for a dedicated office. Good idea about using the garage for storage. We were thinking we may need a storage unit depending on where we end up renting.

Old Today, 07:38 PM

3,236 posts, read 4,516,919 times
We never heard a peep out of neighbors, but they were pleasant. Our unit overlooked the dog park — which was rarely used so completely quiet.

I think the garage was cheaper than public storage. It was the size of a one-car garage for $100 extra a month. The complex was gated and, of course, we had the remote for the garage so it seemed pretty secure.

The complex was loaded with people working at Michelin and another tech company (can’t remember the name) so it was mostly young, professionals so not rowdy/party time. There were some children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area