U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 03:00 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,326,480 times

Advertisements

WBTV-3, the CBS affiliate from Charlotte, NC, has a very strong signal in many areas of Upstate SC, including Greenville-Spartanburg. Recently WBTV has been operating at reduced power, due to a transmitter failure which should be replaced sometime in December.

But despite the reduced power, there should be no major loss of service except perhaps in some fringe areas using indoor antennas. However, at my location in Greenville County near Mauldin, I still receive WBTV at a full 10 bars on the Samsung signal meter, using an attic antenna and amplifier. Even with reduced power, WBTV still comes in stronger than WLOS from Asheville, which is supposedly a more local market signal.

But if you experience issues with WBTV, it is probably due to the temporary reduced power, as many viewers may have antennas pointed towards GSP rather than Charlotte, but still normally receive WBTV off the side or back of the antenna due to the usually strong signal. Or difficulty with an inside antenna which has weaker reception or may be placed at a suboptimal location.

The new WBTV transmitter is supposed to be replaced by the end of the year. WBTV will remain a full power one million watts after the FCC repack in Spetember 2019, and will stay on channel 23. Most other TV stations in Charlotte and the Upstate will be changing channels and reducing power at that time, but WBTV will remain with their current strong signal once repaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 04:00 PM

50 posts, read 72,616 times
Strangely, I'm able to get WLOS using an antenna in my attic. Its not even a giant, complicated antenna. Its just an arrow antenna more or less the length of my arm. I just have it laying on a box and I can get WLOS, WSPA, WHNS, and WYFF 90% of the time. I'm over in the 29680 area of Simpsonville.

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,326,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easymacbb View Post
Strangely, I'm able to get WLOS using an antenna in my attic. Its not even a giant, complicated antenna. Its just an arrow antenna more or less the length of my arm. I just have it laying on a box and I can get WLOS, WSPA, WHNS, and WYFF 90% of the time. I'm over in the 29680 area of Simpsonville.
WLOS is subject to noise and interference from other strong radio and TV signals which may overpower, especially using an amplifier. Your small antenna may have just enough gain to receive all signals and achieve an overall signal balance. The arrow shape sounds like a silver sensor type design which is a good antenna, also sold as Terk HDTVa.

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

82 posts, read 106,695 times
Count your stars to get WLOS. I think their call sign really means line of sight. Just north of TR off hwy 25 it is like Christmas when I can get it. Sometimes comes in for a month or two, but right now no signs of it. Have tried multiple outdoor antennas with and without amps. Sometimes it's there other times it's not. Thank god I can get ABC on my trusty C-Band dish.

Old Today, 04:39 AM

146 posts, read 81,485 times
We're about 5 miles north of TR, not far off of 25, and we usually get WLOS. It does seem to disappear, some time for weeks at a time. Then I guess someone climbs up and knocks the bird crap off of their transmitter, and we get it again. It amazes me that they seemingly ignore a market the size of the Greenville metro area. My antenna is not aimed directly at WLOS, but about 60 degrees off, so I guess I'm getting a reflected signal.

Old Today, 09:50 AM

82 posts, read 106,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
We're about 5 miles north of TR, not far off of 25, and we usually get WLOS. It does seem to disappear, some time for weeks at a time. Then I guess someone climbs up and knocks the bird crap off of their transmitter, and we get it again. It amazes me that they seemingly ignore a market the size of the Greenville metro area. My antenna is not aimed directly at WLOS, but about 60 degrees off, so I guess I'm getting a reflected signal.
You are real close to me and it is the same scenario. I have a dedicated VHF high antenna just for WLOS. What is weird is that when I can get it, it's a fairly strong signal with no breakup. Then one day it will just disappear, no signal at all.

Old Today, 10:39 AM

18,968 posts, read 23,347,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
They have a license to serve a market & signed a contract with the network to cover that market. You can complain to the FCC &/or the network if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area