U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:58 AM

1,088 posts, read 651,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfromzen View Post
Seems like City is mostly private homes, not much in condo buildings. I知 thinking you mostly have to drive to go to these restaurants. Is there anywhere to live in condo or small house 1300 sf or less and be walking distance to food, grocery, nightlife etc?
Yes - downtown. You won't find much in the $200k range though I'm afraid..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 03:03 PM

82 posts, read 63,796 times
Hello Jen, as a recent transplant to the Greenville area (from southwest Florida however) I hope maybe I can offer some insight. You mentioned some likes and dislikes, but may I ask what you are wanting to give up in NY that you feel may be in Greenville (or elsewhere)? What is driving you to seek something more? I ask because the answer to this question is what brought me here. I lived my entire life in Florida, but I was unhappy with the crowds, weather, cost of living, and overall lack of outdoor opportunity that did not involve water. Don't get me wrong, the saltwater is a true passion of mine but as an enthusiast of outdoor activities I longed for more.

There are a ton of cyclists around here, and honestly sharing the roads with them makes me nervous. There are next to no shoulders, let alone bike lanes, and most of these country roads they frequent have two lane 50 mph limits with every turn or hill being a blind one. It would be very easy to accidentally hit one, or get into an accident swerving into the other lane in attempts to miss. Many try to be as conscientious as possible, being marked as loudly as they can and staying close to the side but then there are others that seem as if the roadways were made just for them. As mentioned before we have the Swamp Rabbit Trail that I believe is about 20 miles long, and specifically for walkers and cyclists.

If you enjoy hiking, this place is a haven. And there's so many waterfalls that there's no point in picking a trail that doesn't offer one as a feature. In my experience (especially since I live in the mountains) to get anywhere or do anything you must drive. But the space, beauty, peace, and tranquility is worth the sacrifice.

I haven't once felt unsafe here and I am a female in my late 20s. Don't be foolish, but I have not noticed rampant crime or made out to feel uncomfortable in my surroundings. I am not single so I can't speak in that respect, but I imagine like anywhere there is a demographic. I am also non religious and have met more like minded individuals than I'd imagine, and have not had anyone try to impart their religion onto me.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:09 PM

195 posts, read 171,511 times
Like the old cereal commercial said, Try it you 'll like it!

Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 PM

1,280 posts, read 435,079 times
jenfromzen, I wouldn't move to Greenville if I were you. Moving from North to South, from a major metro area to a small one, and moving from NY to the Bible Belt, and moving as a single 40-something--any one of those changes would be a lot, but all of them together would just be too much.

I'd stay in the NY metro area, or maybe Boston or DC metro areas.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:38 PM

584 posts, read 509,945 times
Jen
My "Culture Shock" comment was not meant to be cruel. I've just watched quite a few who've had difficulty in adjusting to relocating here. A fair number of them gave up and moved back to their former locales, in disappointment and frustration. Most simply never got the memo that when they move to a new location they have to adjust to existing conditions. The new place isn't going to change in order to accommodate their expectations. The latest victims were my cross street neighbors. They are now in Ontario and I do hope they will find it more to their liking. They were pretty miserable here.... especially after alienating nearly everyone in the local area.

Keep in mind that the locals will observe and take note of your responses to all sorts of situations. We aren't the ones required to adapt to expectations. Adopting a Bill Mahr approach to people around here is a sure way to become one of those poor souls I've just mentioned above. You will find Greenville to be very accepting of new faces, especially those who are willing to meet us half way. Failing to at least try to do so can and will often mean being socially ignored. That is truly a very cold and lonely place.

I do hope you can successfully navigate the often hidden shoals of southern culture to discover, for yourself, all of the reasons why everyone seems to want to locate here.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 AM

15 posts, read 9,288 times
I’m thinking Greenville, or even the entire state of South Carolina might not be a good fit for you. If you have your pick of anywhere in the country, I’d recommend California. Plenty of like minded people and beautiful scenery to ride your bike.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:02 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
Seems hard to believe a person could not meet other 'Bill Maher' types in Greenville, given there are 400,000 people in the area and the Greenville CSA is the 40th largest in the country.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:27 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,846,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Seems hard to believe a person could not meet other 'Bill Maher' types in Greenville, given there are 400,000 people in the area and the Greenville CSA is the 40th largest in the country.
She definitely could, and as I said most of my friends are transplants, many from the Northeast.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:43 PM

584 posts, read 509,945 times
Like I said.... some never get the memo.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:04 AM

11 posts, read 9,642 times
Ok so nobody else wants to chime in. Thanks. I知 seeing a lot that I could like, but I知 also seeing the extremely high crime rates including violent crime. I don稚 want to live in fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or