U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:16 AM

281 posts, read 195,972 times

Advertisements

Bear in mind that the crime stats are somewhat skewed. Technically, Greenville is a very small city- something to do with SC annexation laws making it difficult for cities to expand their limits. But Greenville is part of a much larger metro area, so yes, there is crime, like any other sizeable city. In a city of two people, if one person kills the other, they would have the highest murder rate in the country. It seems like much of the crime is confined to certain areas, drug related, or domestic crimes. If none of these things apply to you, you'll find it to be a safe area.

I agree that there would be some culture shock, especially when you venture outside downtown. We live 15 miles out of town, and it's typical rural south, with all of the pluses and minuses. It's different, and that's why we live where we do. I grew up in the northeast and lived in FL for a number of years. I'm done with crowds, high taxes, and rude people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 07:09 AM

982 posts, read 144,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
Bear in mind that the crime stats are somewhat skewed. Technically, Greenville is a very small city- something to do with SC annexation laws making it difficult for cities to expand their limits. But Greenville is part of a much larger metro area, so yes, there is crime, like any other sizeable city. In a city of two people, if one person kills the other, they would have the highest murder rate in the country. It seems like much of the crime is confined to certain areas, drug related, or domestic crimes. If none of these things apply to you, you'll find it to be a safe area.

I agree that there would be some culture shock, especially when you venture outside downtown. We live 15 miles out of town, and it's typical rural south, with all of the pluses and minuses. It's different, and that's why we live where we do. I grew up in the northeast and lived in FL for a number of years. I'm done with crowds, high taxes, and rude people.
What a great post, and I echo the same sentiments. I'm married and older than you. In our mid-late 50s, my husband and I started exploring the Upstate both online and in person as a place to retire. It seemed to offer all the things we liked about our lives in suburban Long Island, NY minus the things we just couldn't/didn't want to live with anymore (see MushCreek's post above). Add to that dealing with the harsh winters. We (mostly I, honestly, who did most of the research) intentionally chose not to plunk ourselves in Greenville proper as we've had our fill of being in the middle of the action. It was more appealing for us to live in a quiet neighborhood a short drive away. We would have liked 15 or 20 minutes outside - there are a lot of nice places to choose from - but wound up a half hour from downtown. Still not bad at all when we feel like doing a Trader Joe's run, taking in a show or concert, or just walking around.

Again, we're older and feel safe around here. The creepy areas are pretty obvious, but they're few and far between. You just drive past them/stay out of them. Mostly the city and country scapes around here are gorgeous and the people warm, friendly, and polite. Even though Greenville is rooted in conservative Christian tradition, it's diverse enough - attracting people from all over - for you to find your peeps and hang with them.

Best of luck!

Last edited by barb712; 11-19-2017 at 07:19 AM..

Old 11-19-2017, 09:08 AM

584 posts, read 509,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712 View Post
The creepy areas are pretty obvious, but they're few and far between. You just drive past them/stay out of them.
Oddly enough, The Swamp Rabbit Trail is basically one long tour of just such areas.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:38 PM

1,280 posts, read 434,756 times
Unfortunately crime affects non-"seedy" areas as well. Criminals have cars, bikes, feet, etc.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:13 PM

7 posts, read 4,632 times
I'm a single female and feel very safe here in Greenville. Of course, there are times when "the meter" goes off -- but that has happened anywhere in my travels [England, Canada, in most states of the US, and China].

I am a political conservative and so I think the overall "culture" might be hard on a committed and fervent political liberal. BUT . . . I also don't think anybody is forced to believe what they don't want to believe. With most people with whom I disagree, both sides offer Weak Smiles. ; > ) I've met some very rude conservatives and liberals -- but you know -- that's everywhere, and I try to stay away from such people on all sides. I think the hardest part for *angry* political liberals is the realization that "such people" exist -- that often seems to be a shock to some if they have lived in a bubble. But not all political liberals or conservatives live in a bubble!

I do think you could meet some community of your own -- I can definitely recommend bunches of Meetup groups -- the hiking groups here are *fabulous* and you would feel, I think, very safe in such groups hiking the wonderful preserves and trails we have here. There are also groups that walk and bike the Swamp Rabbit Trail -- which is also a *great* resource and hard to get run over by a car on that [unless you sail out into the road/intersection!]

I would definitely visit to see if you could stand it. Also I would check out -- very seriously -- the job market because obviously no place is a happy place if you can't work!

Finally -- I wasn't sure if you wanted to rent or buy. I do think it's possible to get some condos near or in downtown for a better price.

Some of these for rent are near downtown [the one at Northgate Trace I know is available at SouthLand]: southlandproperties.org.

But as I recall there is *also* a condo for sale at Northgate [not managed by Southland] -- you might want to google the address and check out the price on that one for sale -- there is a Trolley on Main Street -- including North Main Street -- that runs a circuit and can drop you right out at the Swamp Rabbit Trail or or course, the restaurants and shopping on Main/Downtown.

Hope these thoughts help!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,273,318 times
I went to New York city once. Nice places. Why would you want to leave?

Greenville is great but it's no NYC.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:22 PM

124 posts, read 63,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Oddly enough, The Swamp Rabbit Trail is basically one long tour of just such areas.
I have heard about some crime on Swamp Rabbit, has the city, towns tried to clean up the areas, is it improving?

Old 12-13-2017, 02:32 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,115,456 times
A number of officers also use the trail for their own fitness, so they also make sure they have plenty of visibility on the trail when possible. The city of Greenville took the step of closing the trail from 9PM-5AM - that way a quick patrol can turn up anyone who might get into mischief. There haven't been many bad incidents in the city since then.

After dark, all bets are off since most of it is unlit. But even during the day there are occasional incidents (2 of which had strange and similar descriptions, possibly fabrications). I only recall one making the news in the last year.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:40 PM

179 posts, read 106,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Why is that odd? Wasn't the Swamp Rabbit a converted rail line? Rail lines don't tend to run through affluent areas of town.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:06 AM

584 posts, read 509,676 times
AG
Indeed.... railroads were always placed in less than affluent areas. That is the obvious irony. The SRT has been sold as a safe recreational area, while a number of areas it follows are still a bit sketchy.

Smiles
They have LEOs patrolling the trail, but I'm not sure if it's a regular thing or sporadically as events occur. I've encountered them around the Conestee Lake section a couple of times. Both times they said it was in response to car vandalism.

Just keep in mind that we locals were taught to avoid nearly the whole trail area, back in the days before gentrification began. All of those reasons have not been removed. I'm certainly not anti SRT, but it pays to be aware of ones surroundings when enjoying it. I'm simply saying that I'm not at all surprised when problems arise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or