Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:31 PM

6,557 posts, read 4,179,402 times

Advertisements

We considered Greenville before we decided on the Hendersonviile/Flat Rock area. Greenville has a beautiful downtown area, but when you get out a little way, you'll find there are some run down impoverished areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 01:02 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,313,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We considered Greenville before we decided on the Hendersonviile/Flat Rock area. Greenville has a beautiful downtown area, but when you get out a little way, you'll find there are some run down impoverished areas.
That sounds more like Hendersonville to me.

Greenville has a much better job market and higher average income than Hendersonville.

Every city has some poor areas.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:07 PM

757 posts, read 1,089,369 times
I lived in Denver (DTC) for three years and we considered returning to Denver but unfortunately the housing costs are through the roof.

We did go to GVille on a scouting trip and loved it. My family relocated there and encouraged us to look at the area. So we're moving in December and are looking forward to a new adventure.

We had concerns about not being religious in the South but after visiting, we feel confident that will not be a problem.

As one poster mentioned, the Southern mountains are not the Rockies but as avid outdoors people, we felt that they were something new to explore and beautiful in their own way.

As a couple in our late 40's, we feel that there will be more long term opportunity for us in GVille in both employment, COL and housing.

On our initial visit, we were impressed with how friendly people are and how clean much of the area is. To put it in perspective, we are from the Inland Empire in SoCal which is not very friendly or clean in our opinion. Roads here are horrible with an abundance of litter. The downtown GVille parks, shopping and restaurants were really cool.

Things that are of concern to us is that some of the suburbs look bland and not very appealing but I can say the same for other parts of the country. We'll also need to learn to love humidity

It's also a much smaller area so we are prepared to keep our options open when it comes to jobs.

If you like Colorado's Medical/Recreational MJ laws, you won't find those same laws in South Carolina.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
That sounds more like Hendersonville to me.

Greenville has a much better job market and higher average income than Hendersonville.

Every city has some poor areas.
Greenville median family income $ 44,125
Hendersonville $ 39,111 Flat Rock $ 81,811

Per Wilkepedia

Plus the Hendersonville/ Flatrock area is a more beautiful area...of course, this is my opinion.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:20 PM

Also, not sure if this matters to you, but keep in mind this area is very conservative.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:22 PM

Both H'ville and Flat Rock are very small towns. Most of the transplants are probably retirees.

In my opinion, Greenville looks much more affluent and modern than Hendersonville.

I prefer the scenery in Greenville. Hendersonville is more in the mountains if a person likes that.

I think it would be difficult to find an IT job in H'ville.

I wouldn't call the suburbs in Greenville bland but perhaps I don't understand what people mean when they say that.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-29-2017 at 01:31 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Both H'ville and Flat Rock are very small towns. Most of the transplants are probably retirees.

In my opinion, Greenville looks much more affluent and modern than Hendersonville.

I prefer the scenery in Greenville.

Could you describe the scenery in the Greenville immediate area, other than downtown? I would hardly describe the street that runs from the interstate to Traveler's Rest as affluent.
Hendersonville is a lovely small town, 20 minutes from Asheville. Flat Rock and Hendersonville together are close to 20,000 people. Hendersonville is only 30-40 minutes from downtown Greenville. You have the best of both worlds living here. We have travelled extensively, and Hendersonville has one of the most beautiful small towns in America, IMO. To be fair, the Greenville downtown area is beautiful also, but larger.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:32 PM

I'm familiar with Hendersonville. I think Greenville's scenery is as good as Hendersonville. I think Greenville has much better downtown with more trees and the waterfall with Falls Park.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I'm familiar with Hendersonville. I think Greenville's scenery is as good as Hendersonville. I think Greenville has much better downtown with more trees and the waterfall with Falls Park.
Other than downtown? I doubt most who live there frequent downtown on a frequent basis.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Other than downtown? I doubt most who live there frequent downtown on a frequent basis.
Ok, I disagree with you. This topic isn't about Hendersonville though.

I would recommend Greenville, Spartanburg and Asheville over Hendersonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area