U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 01:58 PM

7,580 posts, read 3,992,169 times

Advertisements

I would say the drive on Highway 25 between Greenville and I-26 is more scenic than I-26 near Hendersonville up to Asheville which is more flat.

It is my understanding that Kevin Costner used to own a house off 25 between Greenville and I-26 in that Cliffs community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 05:28 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,842,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Other than downtown? I doubt most who live there frequent downtown on a frequent basis.
I go downtown 3-4 days a week as do several of my friends, and they live mostly in Simpsonville, one near Paris Mountain.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:56 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,694,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Matter of opinion...we have visited both extensively for many years and love both. The blue ridge mountains may be at a lower elevation, but are much greener and lush. Very beautiful...
The Appalachians are the remnant of a chain that was once as high as the Rockies or the Alps. They're worn down because they're hundreds of millions of years old. Their beauty is that of an ancient and worn thing -- the Rockies are brash and young.

They have their own kind of unique beauty - and the highest peaks at 6000 feet plus are nothing to sneeze at. What's unique about them are the ecosystems: as you ascend them you're moving from a Southern hardwood forest to evergreen forests more typical of Canada at the tops, down to the smaller plants and wildlife. Many species of trees and other plants reach their largest size in the Smokies. The only forests on the planet comparable to the hardwood forests of the Smokies are certain ancient forests in China. There's nothing like hiking through a tunnel cut through huge blooming rhododendrons, with the canopy towering far overhead. Or the yearly synchronized firefly display at Elkmont - something that's rare and that I don't think occurs elsewhere in the U.S. (seeing it's on my bucket list). The southern Appalachians also are home to temperate rain forests - the only other ones in North American are in Washington.

You're not going to find those things in the Rockies.

Synchronous Fireflies – Smokies Guide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temper...e_rain_forests

Old 11-30-2017, 04:34 AM
Yac

5,923 posts, read 6,529,877 times
Several posts deleted later, just a reminder folks: if you don't like what someone else is posting, you can always put them on your ignore list.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or