U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 12:20 PM

395 posts, read 284,537 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

We are currently in Denver and have been for the past 6 years but due to a minor health complaint we need to move back to sea level. Greenville is on the top of our list right now so I am looking for some information on what people tend to love and not love about the area.

To help here is a little bit about us. We like to hike, cycle and be outdoors. I have one kiddo who is 10 and will be going into middle school next year, he is currently at an I.B school although that doesn't have to be a preference, he does do indoor rock climbing classes.

My husband is in I.T and I am currently a realtor here in Denver.

We have previously lived in St Louis and I am an Aussie by birth, my husband grew up in California, Mississippi, England and St Louis.

We are in our late 30's and not all that into the church, I grew up as a Pastor's kid so have my ups and downs when it comes to church life.

So after a brief little intro about our family what do you love/not love about the Greenville area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 12:56 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,848,027 times
Welcome! I love so many things about Greenville- the vibrant, growing downtown with a waterfall in the middle of it probably tops the list. Coming in a close second is the proxomity to so many places to hike and bike. Theere is the Swamp Rabbit Trail, of course, but also a wealth of preserves and parks within about an hour's drive. We also like to visit western NC towns like Henderson and Brevard, not to mention Asheville, also about an hour away.
It is also so easy to get around here- from doctors to shopping I never have to travel more than 20 mintues, and most times less.

What I don't like? Some of the areas outside of downtown are badly in need of some sprucing up, and I don't like seeing a Title Loan or Cash Advance place on so many corners. I also dislike the way the shopping areas were laid out, right up against the road instead of set back with trees in front, as they were in Raleigh where we moved from. Good luck finding a shady parking place in the summer. Everyone here will warn you as well about Woodruff Rd, where the bulk of the stores are. TThis time of year especially it can be a mess. However there are some plans in the works to help alleviate it.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:06 PM

1,280 posts, read 435,412 times
What I like:

* Beautiful outdoors and nature (attractive mountains nearby, and neighborhoods are full of green, and attractive)
* In the South, it's true: strangers are generally very nice and polite, and store employees are generally nice, too
* Nice downtown where you can more or less live/work/play without a car (if you wish to)
* Compact size (you don't have to travel on a huge highway to get most places, and natural areas aren't hard to get to since the city isn't that big)
* Tolerable winters that aren't too cold

What I dislike:

* Bad 1960s-1980s sprawl along Pleasantburg Drive and Laurens Road (but every US city has that)
* Limited public transportation (but then again, the city isn't large so even if it were full of transit, it would be faster to drive)

Old 11-27-2017, 02:00 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
Hi All!

We are currently in Denver and have been for the past 6 years but due to a minor health complaint we need to move back to sea level. Greenville is on the top of our list right now so I am looking for some information on what people tend to love and not love about the area.
I'm not sure if this makes a difference for you but Greenville is pushing 1000 feet above sea level.

How did Greenville make the top of your list? How did you hear about Greenville? I know the city has run some advertisements on radio in Atlanta and Chicago.

Here is a good website with a lot of info on Greenville: www.VisitGreenvilleSC.com

This is a good place to live if you like hiking and other outdoors activities. There is even a 30 foot drop waterfall in downtown right off Main Street with a nice park around it.

Might be a good idea to pin this thread or a similar Greenville pros vs cons thread to the top of the forum, given how often the question is asked on here.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:16 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,848,027 times
Oh yes, thanks for reminding me, Puppiesandkittens, about the friendly people! Don't know how I could have forgotten to mention that. Guess I've just been in the South so long I see it as normal! But yes, a definite plus!

Old 11-29-2017, 08:20 AM

395 posts, read 284,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I'm not sure if this makes a difference for you but Greenville is pushing 1000 feet above sea level.

How did Greenville make the top of your list? How did you hear about Greenville? I know the city has run some advertisements on radio in Atlanta and Chicago.

Here is a good website with a lot of info on Greenville: www.VisitGreenvilleSC.com

This is a good place to live if you like hiking and other outdoors activities. There is even a 30 foot drop waterfall in downtown right off Main Street with a nice park around it.

Might be a good idea to pin this thread or a similar Greenville pros vs cons thread to the top of the forum, given how often the question is asked on here.

Thanks for the information. Greenville's mild winters (compared to the other places my husband had on the list (insert Minnesota) put it at the top of my list. Also decent schools, a few hours from the beach (I feel a little landlocked here in Colorado) but still has mountains accessible. We also like the look of the downtown Greenville area.

We heard about Greenville from searching online with our criteria.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 AM

19,986 posts, read 18,959,340 times
NorthDenverGirl, have you visited Greenville yet?

Old 11-29-2017, 10:31 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
Thanks for the information. Greenville's mild winters (compared to the other places my husband had on the list (insert Minnesota) put it at the top of my list. Also decent schools, a few hours from the beach (I feel a little landlocked here in Colorado) but still has mountains accessible. We also like the look of the downtown Greenville area..
Ok, with that criteria, I think you would be happy here.

You can see the Blue Ridge mountains from various spots in Greenville. There are some great lakes in the area as well. There are several whitewater rivers in the area to include the Chattooga, the river that the movie Deliverance was filmed on. There are a lot of golf courses in the area.

You can take the interstate most of the way to the Charleston beaches. That is an easy drive, mostly through rural areas.

Everybody that I have taken downtown Greenville loves it. It is unique with a 30 foot waterfall with a park around it with stone walkways. There is a massive suspension pedestrian bridge right over the waterfall.

Housing costs and cost of living should be much lower in Greenville compared to Denver.

I would expect the traffic situation in Greenville to be better than most of the Denver area.

The busiest shopping road, Woodruff Road, is easy to avoid if you aren't shopping.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-29-2017 at 10:43 AM..

Old 11-29-2017, 11:19 AM

215 posts, read 90,415 times
If I may state the obvious, be forewarned that the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Appalachians in general are totally different from and less impressive than the Rockies.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:27 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,025,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
If I may state the obvious, be forewarned that the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Appalachians in general are totally different from and less impressive than the Rockies.
Matter of opinion...we have visited both extensively for many years and love both. The blue ridge mountains may be at a lower elevation, but are much greener and lush. Very beautiful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or