Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 08:03 PM

132 posts, read 113,709 times

Advertisements

We are coming down in May to look at some potential rentals for our move down in August. On our list are three complexes by Redwood. We have others on our list, but these seem to be more what we are looking for.

Peachtree by Redwood
113 Karland Drive, Simpsonville, SC 29680

Prestwick by Redwood
2 Ashburton Drive, Greer, SC 29650

The Ledges at Abner Creek
505 Everhope Avenue, Greer, SC 29651

Of the three areas, which would be better as far a neighborhood, crime, proximity to stores/restaurants, etc.

I work from home so commute for me is not an issue, but my husband and son will be looking for work. Living at one of these would be temporary while we look for a house or build.

We have driven through the area of the one in Simpsonville, but driving by is not experience of living there or knowing the area.

Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 08:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Are you looking to reside permanently in Greer or in Simpsonville?

Old 12-17-2017, 06:22 AM

We are not sure where we will reside permanently. We plan on renting for a bit to get a better feel of the area and to see what fits for us. We love the Greenville area, but we are still researching towns.
We’ve researched into simpsonville, Greer, Mauldin, and Travelers Rest areas. We have also researched lake areas.

We will be looking to buy or build. We don’t want an HOA Community, we need some land as my husband is a car collector and will need to build a large garage and workshop. Would like a smaller home with some property. We may build as it seems that the new constructions are mostly on smaller properties and those that are on a bit larger are completely cleared. Would prefer something a bit wooded.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:28 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Having worked with a couple before who also collected cars, I found that going out into Anderson County was fruitful as well.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:48 PM

I am having such anxiety about this move. We love the Greenville area, but my son will need to find a job. DH is retiring but will look for work but since he’ll be getting his pension it’s not as pressing. I work from home and will be taking my job with me.

I don’t want to move to Greenville then have to pick up and go somewhere else for my son. It’s just crazy. We have no friends or family down there. The closest will be a friend in Fort Mills, SC.

We’ve never been to Charlotte but we feel it’s just too big.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:52 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,191 times
We recently moved from SoCal to Anderson. So far, so good. We're renting too to get a lay of the land before buying. The house we're renting is quite nice and has a descent amount of land all for an affordable rent. It's a little far from Greenville but our family is here in Anderson so that's nice.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe33075 View Post
I am having such anxiety about this move. We love the Greenville area, but my son will need to find a job. DH is retiring but will look for work but since he’ll be getting his pension it’s not as pressing. I work from home and will be taking my job with me.

I don’t want to move to Greenville then have to pick up and go somewhere else for my son. It’s just crazy. We have no friends or family down there. The closest will be a friend in Fort Mills, SC.

We’ve never been to Charlotte but we feel it’s just too big.
Sounds similar to our situation coming here, although for me I had to start all over again in real estate. We didn't know anyone here but have slowly built up a network of friends. It helps that we live in a friendly neighborhood as well. What kind of work is your son looking for?

Old 12-22-2017, 11:15 AM

UEHelp- We haven't been out to Anderson yet. I've google mapped it and walked the area and looks wonderful also. Once we move in August; we will be renting and getting the lay of the land and exploring more of the area.

BigRedBeth- My son will be applying for work as a police officer wherever he can find that is hiring. He will be about 6 months shy of his 21st B-day by then so it'll be a good time to start looking and applying. Until he turns 21, he'll be looking for whatever he can find. He has experience landscaping, but it may be late in the season for him to look for work in that field.

I am glad that I don't have to start over, at least. I thought I would for some time, but my supervisor knew I was looking to move and when a new unit was started he recommended me. Now I can move wherever I'd like. DH will be retiring from a local PD here and I'm not sure what work he will be looking for (no law enforcement thought).

Old 12-22-2017, 01:01 PM

A friend who owns a landscaping compnay is always looking for help. There is still plenty of work to do in that field into the fall! Many people will want projects and planting done that time of year.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
A friend who owns a landscaping compnay is always looking for help. There is still plenty of work to do in that field into the fall! Many people will want projects and planting done that time of year.
Well that’s good to know. Maybe he’ll be able to find something in landscaping until he can find something else to hold him until he can find work in a police dept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area