U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 05:45 AM

9 posts, read 41,722 times
Default multi family homes-

I would like to know if anyone has information on the area of
converse st spartanburg,sc. I was told the area has older
historical homes. Looking to rent in the area.

Living in Florida and moving soon.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:46 PM

109 posts, read 262,642 times
Converse is an area with nice old homes. There are tree-lined sidewalks; it is a real "Leave it to Beaver" neighborhood. Some houses are very expensive. This is where Roger Milliken lives (CEO of Milliken Rugs). There are also some modest homes in this neighborhood. It is served by an excellent elementary school and is not far from the high school.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thillcochran View Post
We are moving to Spartanburg this summer. Can someone recommend which Distrcits and neighborhoods are the best to live in? We are looking for a home in the upper 300's.

I would highly recommend the River Falls Plantation which is in the Duncan, SC area. River Falls is a golf course and located in school District Five. It is a growing area but still small enough to where you will see people you know in the grocery store. Also, the school system there is highly commendable. Byrnes High School made the ESPN network last year with their football. They have just added two new elementary schools in that district. It is almost halfway between Spartanburg and Greenville. We have members of our church that live in River Falls and enjoy it. There are other places to find homes in that range, as well.

Spartanburg County has seven different school districts who handle education differently in each district. Greenville County is all one school district. I have mostly heard negative things about the Greenville system. You can get a good education in Spartanburg County District 7 but just be prepared to run into problems with inner city schools that you will not in any of the other school districts.

School District 1, which is in the Inman area is a fine school district and there are lots of areas that offer homes in the bracket for which you are looking. Plus it is at the base of the mountains with some fabulous views. My son lives there. It is close to Landrum which is on the NC line and a wonderful small town where people of wealth like to settle down.

I have lived in this area all my life and on the west side of Spartanburg (District Six) for over 30 years. Yes, there is a lot of traffic on my side of town, but I have been able to maneuver through it just fine. You just know which roads to take at certain times of the day. I used to work in law enforcement and the crime in Spartanburg is no different from anywhere else. Except, of course, Anderson County. For many years, I have heard about killings on a weekly basis.

There is crime anywhere along the I-85 corridor because of drugs running the interstate and some not so good folks stopping off here. Also, where there is poverty, there is a high crime rate. But at any given time, anything can happen to any person. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:35 PM

29 posts, read 69,016 times
I would avoid district 7 schools at all costs unless you're considering moving into Converse Heights or an area near there that is in the Jesse Boyd/Pine St. zone. Spartanburg High may have great teacher, nice test-scores, and a lot of APs, but that doesn't mean it's a good or a safe school. McCracken Junior High is slowly improving, but there doesn't look to be much hope for SHS. I had an uncle who taught at SHS for 30+ years and also graduated from there. His opinion was that he would NEVER send his child there by the time he retired.

If you have younger children (entering k-4th grade), there is the Spartanburg Charter School opening up in 09-10. Not surprisingly, it was struck down by the D7 board of trustees, yet they're planning on spending a good bit of money on a new baseball field as well as a marching band practice field.

D1 is a great school system. Dorman is a great high school. Gable and Dawkins feed into it. From what I've heard most students love district 6.

Overall District 3 is GREAT. I would highly recommend it.

And if you're looking at living towards the east side of Spartanburg, Cowpens would be a great idea, since it's only 15 minutes away from the East side, about half an hour from the west side.

If you have children, I would consider private schools too. The private schools here are a lot cheaper than they are in other cities. (Although they are still expensive, but I believe Oakbrook is running a tuition of only about 6k a year. I might be wrong though.)

As for neighborhoods if you're not concerned about schools:
Hillcrest - Ideally located. Surrounded by several grocery stores, clothing shops, restaurants, a movie theatre, and a bowling alley. It also has a nice little park. It's a very, very, very diverse community. (Where I am now, there are two black families beside me, two hispanics across the street, and a white family across the street).
Converse - Really nice old feel. It's only five minutes from the Hillcrest area. It's ten minutes from downtown.
Roebuck - I've only heard great things about the area. :-/
Cowpens - Very, very friendly area.
Inman/Campobello/Landrum - All very nice country areas. They all have lovely downtowns and wonderful restaurants.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 7,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMK View Post
I would not willingly live in Spartanburg and that says a lot b/c I currently live there. I do not like it. The one and only good thing about Spartanburg is that it is cheaper than Greenville, but not much.

I think you have to be from Spartanburg or somewhere a lot worse than Spartanburg to appreciate it.
I strongly agree

Old 07-19-2009, 05:46 AM

26 posts, read 85,153 times
I have lived in the upstate three times in my life. I just recently returned to the area and was given the choice of relocating to Greenville or Spartanburg. I chose Spartanburg.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 16,310 times
I actually live in Inman, and you are all right about the "small town" feel. I love it. Inman is a good mix because even though you live in a small quiet town, you are only about 15 minutes from downtown Spartanburg. When I want more shops and activities, it only takes about 30 minutes to reach downtown Greenville.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:13 AM

6 posts, read 15,143 times
I moved to the countryside around Woodruff when I was a kid and went to Woodruff schools (District 4 in Spartanburg county). I think whether you'd like it there depends on where you're from. We were from NJ and I found people from Woodruff (circa 1992) were xenophobic and cut their teeth on the civil war. The consequence was that as a 7 year old all my peers called me "d*** yankee", and some refused to believe I spoke English because of my accent and kept asking me what country New Jersey was in (not kidding).
District 4 has a good reputation, but I wouldn't recommend it. They offers lots of APs and always gets an "excellent" report card, but they are driven to do so by the administration. That is, they don't just teach to the test (though they do that too) they teach for the AWARD. They force kids to take classes often beyond their ability (to drive up the % of kids in honors and AP classes) and in general I felt that the administrations top priority was getting a good award, rating, statistics, report card, etc and whether the kids were receiving an actual education was only a byproduct of this drive. That said, there were some great teachers there.
However, if you're southern and your children learn very linearly, you'll probably be okay there. They are much more disciplined than any other public school in the area, but this only contributes to hatred for the school amongst the kids at a higher level than at other schools. I was in the AP track, and I witnessed many intelligent peers dropping out of school just to get away from the autocratic system. It was often discussed among we who were taking classes at the college level that it was a lot simpler to just drop out and get your diploma from adult education (because Woodruff does not allow early graduation).
I went later to Converse College in Spartanburg, which I highly recommend and loved dearly. I also fell in love with Spartanburg at the time. I too like the East side better. My friend and I were discussing it the other day. The East side is more scenic, peaceful, and (to offer a possible turn off) little snobbier. They also have more culture (art, theatre, etc.) The West side is more industrial and commercial and maybe a little more blue collar. It lacks many parks, while the East side is littered with them, though it does have Hatcher Gardens. Still, There's more commercial-like fun to be had there (movie theaters, the mall, etc.) They have very different feels. It's not true that the east side is cheaper, from what I've seen, but instead that both sides of town have a mix of inexpensive and higher end neighborhoods. I actually think the east side is more expensive, but it might just be where you're looking.
One sad thing about Spartanburg, from a college students perspective, is Spartanburg has 6 colleges and yet no real night life. I wish it had more to do at night apart from alcohol or greasy breakfast food (two excellent coffee houses closed my senior year, neither one from financial problems, but they haven't gotten good replacements yet). Still, the cigar bar on Morgan Square is a laidback place with a very nice vibe. And even in the way of bars, there aren't many.
As for safety, I feel much more safe in the downtown and east sides of Spartanburg then I ever would in Greenville. I think the PPs comments about feeling safer in Greenville have to do with familiarity, which might very well be what mine are about. Still, I wouldn't wander the west side at night. But I do and have and will again wander downtown and the east side at night. And during the day I would commonly walk from Converse even all the way to the Hub-Bub showroom and everywhere in between without any feeling of unease about my safety. I wouldn't, however, go south of Henry St on foot. (But I'm sure there are places in Greenville like that too).
Currently I am living in Switzer, between Roebuck and Woodruff. It's a rural area. It's all right, pretty. Neighbors keep to themselves. And I enjoy hearing roosters in the morning (they're far enough away you can't hear them through walls, so it's just when I am outside in the morning) and watching the countryside come to life.
So anyway, that's my few cents about the Spartanburg area.
As for the Greenville area, I can only offer a visitor's perspective. Well, my sister lived there for a while. She loved it. It has more jobs, but it also has more people to compete for the jobs. It is more expensive to live. It's got more of a nightlife, but less of a community. (In Spartanburg, you often run into the same people again and again so if you participate in the community you soon become a part of it. I feel Greenville is a little more big city in that that is unlikely to happen.) I do adore the falls park though.
When I started college two big checks in Greenville's favor was that they had Indian restaurants and salsa dancing. While there's still not a lot of salsa in Spartanburg, they've got the Indian food now, so it's moving up in the world.
If I had the money, I'd move to the downtown or east sides of Spartanburg in a heart beat, and to the west side in two heartbeats. Unfortunately, the economy is hitting me so I don't have the means to relocate.

Last edited by Sptnbg area local born NJ; 07-22-2009 at 02:30 AM..

Old 07-22-2009, 06:56 PM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 3,709,150 times
By SC standards, Spartanburg is a nice place to live. It is a hundred times better than Greenville, which is an awful combination of an oppressive religious-political regime only found in backwater towns (places much smaller than Spartanburg) but with the problems of big city life.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 PM

3,140 posts, read 3,045,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
By SC standards, Spartanburg is a nice place to live. It is a hundred times better than Greenville, which is an awful combination of an oppressive religious-political regime only found in backwater towns (places much smaller than Spartanburg) but with the problems of big city life.
This is debatable and most disagree with that assessment. I know the reason you said that and it could happen anywhere to anyone in that position, I know people in Spartanburg who've had your same exact experience. One thing I've learned about life is, if you blame your problems on something else it takes the control and blame off of self. But once you feel the fault is from something outside of you then you can't fix it. Be careful with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area