Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:47 PM

211 posts, read 978,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Why not just move to Greenville or many of the suburbs around it? Simpsonville, Greer, Mauldin, TR just to name a few.
Out of the few suburbs you mentioned above, could you possible rate them 1-5 in terms of the school system? Also, the distance to shopping, healthcare, and downtown Greenville.

The reason I ask is because my daughter and I will need specialized healthcare. I'd like to be within a decent system.

Thanks so much in advance for your perspective.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
I live in Greenville and work in Spartanburg very, very often. I speak from firsthand experience on a nearly daily basis. There are major differences in most key categories, but that does not mean people will feel less adequate in either city.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:11 AM

69 posts, read 322,325 times
I would not willingly live in Spartanburg and that says a lot b/c I currently live there. I do not like it. The one and only good thing about Spartanburg is that it is cheaper than Greenville, but not much.

I think you have to be from Spartanburg or somewhere a lot worse than Spartanburg to appreciate it.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
Has anyone heard of Marrieta?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,267 times
Marrieta is a wide place in the road south of greenville, They do have a drug-store that makes cokes from syrup and soda water that is neat!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM

221 posts, read 1,032,409 times
Marietta is in Northern Greenville County. I've driven past there on the way to Table Rock State Park.

Marietta, SC - Google Maps

Old 04-23-2008, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,204 times
Thumbs up Thumbs Up to Spartanburg

I'll begin by saying that I am originally from Spartanburg and have lived in various areas of the county throughout the years (within the city limits of Spartanburg, the Walnut Grove/Roebuck area, the Campobello/Gramling area, Duncan, and even the Woodruff area as a child). However, I've also lived in Frankfurt (Germany), Columbia (South Carolina), Edisto Island (South Carolina) and Manhattan (Kansas). I currently reside in Charlotte (North Carolina) and have been here for the past five years. Despite my moving about, the one place I would like to return to is Spartanburg. And, I'm pleased to say that I will be doing precisely that in June.

Several people have noted that in deciding on where to live, you should ask yourself what you're wanting from the community. I couldn't agree more. One thing I've noticed in my moving around is that larger cities are busier, the people are less friendly, the atmosphere is hurried, the traffic is worse; but, usually there's a greater emphasis and interest in the arts. As for me, I prefer live in wide open spaces, have strangers on tractors wave to me on my way home from work, and drive into the city when I need a social "fix".

As for the schools in Spartanburg county, there again it depends on what your specific needs are. Some larger districts tend to have better test scores, but cater very little to the individual needs of a particular child. Some of the smaller districts may have worse test scores, but better programs for kids who fall into the "special needs" category. I would recommend doing a bit of research at the SC Department of Education's website: South Carolina Department of Education Specifically, look under the "topics" tab to locate test/assessment information and the "community" tab for additional information in the parents section. The only district I would not recommend is Spartanburg Co. District 7. It just isn't what it used to be 20+ years ago.

For the record, I would like to note that in my years of living in Spartanburg, I was never the victim of any crime (violent or nonviolent)... despite leaving my doors unlocked (which I wouldn't recommend to anyone, regardless of where you live). So, I was surprised to hear someone say they wouldn't live in Spartanburg for fear of being the victim of a crime. That comment made me curious; so, I went here:
South Carolina Index Crime Rates per 10,000 Population 2005 (it's county data, not city data). For what it's worth, here's what I noticed:

South Carolina Index Crime Rates per 10,000 Population (2005)

GREENVILLE:
Est. Population: 407,400
Murder: 0.8
Rape: 4.6
Robbery: 15.2
Aggrev. Assault: 59.6
Breaking and Entering: 101.3
Larceny: 281.3
Motor Vehicle Theft: 39.8
Index Total: 502.6

SPARTANBURG:
Est. Population: 266,800
Murder: 1.0
Rape: 3.0
Robbery: 11.1
Aggrev. Assault: 48.8
Breaking and Entering: 102.4
Larceny: 302.8
Motor Vehicle Theft: 34.6
Index Total: 503.8

For those people searching for the ideal location, I wish you the best of luck!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:23 PM

18 posts, read 54,114 times
The area around USC Upstate is very nice but I am not sure as to the schools there. You may want to consider Simpsonville as it's pretty nice. Hope this helps!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 5,071 times
Default Moving to Spartanburg from Atlanta

We are moving to Spartanburg this summer. Can someone recommend which Distrcits and neighborhoods are the best to live in? We are looking for a home in the upper 300's.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:02 PM

110 posts, read 455,566 times
I have lived in 5 different cities in 3 different states and must disagree about Spartanburg 7 Schools. I live in District 7 and also teach here, and I feel that my children (who both graduated from Spartanburg High School) got excellent educations that prepared both of them for college. In fact Spartanburg High School offers a great number of AP classes and was in the top schools listed by Newsweek. I always felt that my children had fine teachers in 7.

The district is very diverse with poor minority students and affluent non-minority students. For that reason there are schools that are better than others. I feel safe teaching here and I never would have stayed here if my own children hadn't loved school here.

Personally I like the east side of town. It is quieter and more established than the west side of town. People are very friendly and it is less expensive to live on this side of town.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area