U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:41 PM

61 posts, read 46,308 times

Advertisements

In the very beginning stages of looking for a second property. Several options as contenders. It's been 20 years since I lived on the east coast so I'm sure much has changed. Anyways, I'm hoping you can give me specific counties or communities I should focus on, so when we make a scouting trip, we already have it narrowed a little. Thanks in advance.

Requirements:

-Unrestricted land, 50 acres +
-Within an hour of Greenville, minimum of 30 mins away
-Access to good well water, easy to get septic added if it's raw land
- We will bring our dogs with us. They are family and we have many more than an average family. They will be well contained and impeccably maintained, not noisy or disruptful, but we will not want somewhere that we need a kennel license or other.
- lax regulations because we will probably put 2 to 3 houses on this, if they are not already there. We will also want to park our RV on the property to store it until we use it to return to our primary residence.
- budget flexible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 04:43 AM

820 posts, read 1,161,122 times
Land is being gobbled up everywhere around Greenville so it's going to be very hard to find that large of a track that isn't already optioned for industrial use. It sounds like the Iva area in southern Anderson county might fit. Go far away from the interstates/large highways and you're more likely to find this large parcel.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:14 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,121,013 times
You may be able to find something since you are looking more than 30 minutes outside Greenville. Pretty much anything out in the surrounding counties that is over 50 acres will allow for the use you describe. SC is a state that does very little in the way of regulation.

Land values have appreciated significantly in the last 10 years. Anything within 30 minutes of Greenville that size is getting gobbled up for subdivision development. Even being a bit further out, the land values have gone up based on all of the development.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:20 AM

Mcatp, thanks for the input. Southern Anderson county. Thanks.

WhitewaterVol, do you have any counties to add to Anderson? I want to do some Google searching before we show up for scouting. We want to be sure the area would be a good fit.

Thanks for the excellent input so far.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaDeMuertos View Post
Mcatp, thanks for the input. Southern Anderson county. Thanks.

WhitewaterVol, do you have any counties to add to Anderson? I want to do some Google searching before we show up for scouting. We want to be sure the area would be a good fit.

Thanks for the excellent input so far.
Pretty much anywhere in a circle 30-60 miles from downtown Greenville should work. Pickens County north of Easley (Pickens, Dacusville, Pumpkintown) would work. Northern Greenville county (north of Travelers Rest, Marietta, Blue Ridge, Tigertown) would work. Parts of Spartanburg county would work as well as northern Laurens County. Pretty much anywhere outside a city limits within your radius away from Greenville should offer options for what you want (space for animals, ability to have a well, acerage).

I personally look in the countryside out near Belton, Honea Path, and Williamston first. I'd also probably look out in the Dacusville, Marietta, Pumkintown area. Wish I had the funds to buy 50 acres - we will be lucky to buy 5-10 acres on our next move.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:47 AM

693 posts, read 1,103,768 times
I did a quick search on landwatch.com and turned up several tracts outside of Greenville county of 50-100 acres that seemed reasonable. Inside Greenville county the prices were easily 3-4 times as much.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:01 AM

Perfect. I'll just begin a broad search. It sounds like any of the counties will be low regulation, which is what I'm after.

With horses and dogs, we really need the acreage so we don't disturb others.

I appreciate all the advice that's been given. Thank you again.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaDeMuertos View Post
Perfect. I'll just begin a broad search. It sounds like any of the counties will be low regulation, which is what I'm after.

With horses and dogs, we really need the acreage so we don't disturb others.

I appreciate all the advice that's been given. Thank you again.
Low regulation is great until it isn't. You will want to make sure to do a lot of due diligence about uses of surrounding property and past uses of any properties you are interested in purchasing. Make sure you know which parcels have approval for use as landfills (I know there is one in Pickens County that had a fight over dumping of coal ash - not sure how that turned out) and other similar uses that could impact your property value and potential personal uses.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:18 PM

Gross. When we narrow down an area, I'll be sure to work with a quality realtor and/or attorney that can help wade through that mess. We have a couple other regions still in contention, so we are just needing to narrow it down. Thank you!

Old 01-07-2018, 07:00 PM

200 posts, read 200,728 times
Absolutely look into Anderson County around Belton. Depending on time of day, it takes 35-40 minutes to get from the door to Costco in Greenville.

Possibly parts of Abbeville County might be acceptable, as well as around Princeton at the Greenville/Laurens county line, but it's been awhile since I've even driven in that area,.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or