Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 02:00 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkajouwho View Post
Oooh, thank you so much, everyone! Great info - I will start making marks on maps.

I think, from what I can already see of the prices/developedness of G'ville, we should aim not so much for walking distance as cycling. We'd plan to have a car too; I just want to be able to not have to drive everywhere, as I did in Orlando.

yes, lots of the listings available now are what the realtors are referring to as North Main, beckycat - that does look like a cute spot!

stephej2, craftsman-style bungalows make my heart go pitty-pat! I like the look of that general area just from the map: near green usually means good things, IMO! (One listing I read for that general vicinity said you could hear monkeys from the zoo - cool!)

thank you for the link to the W.GVL village, drfranklin. wouldn't you know, right after I posted here, I was investigating some house sale listing or other, and the label 'West Greenville' finally popped up on google maps for me. funny how the visible info on gmaps varies so much as one is navigating around!

I will keep quiet about the 'bagel desert' issue to my guy lest he rescind his cautious approval of me investigating G'ville for us, heh. I am afraid I'm too much of a night owl to open a bagelry myself, but I hope someone else steps up soon! besides, NYC lore says the secret sauce is our city water! shall I further stoke controversy by asking if there is decent pizza and town and if so, where? (Noo Yawkers can discourse over these topics for hours... if it doesn't come to actual blows before that!)

BRB, using the keyword 'Verdae,' I see one for 420 k (a year old) and a 2008 (maybe this is the one you were thinking of?) for 565k. The 'mill house' idea is very interesting to me! I was unaware of these (yes, I need to get my wee self there asap for a look; get this out of the theoretical!)

Really wish I wasn't *always* chasing behind the popularity price bubble.... I hope to give Chattanooga an eyeball too during the trip with that in mind.
Keep in mind the Village of West Greenville is different than West Greenville. Village of West Greenville is gentrifying, West Greenvile is still a rough area and I don't know about any gentrification at this point. Just something to keep in mind There are also is the West End of downtown which is another area that is nice. It can be kind of confusing but I just wanted to make it clear so that you are informed.

Btw, it is the water that makes the bagel or pizza dough. It's almost impossible to duplicate a NY bagel or pizza here. I've heard of restaurants flying the water/dough here though. That is one thing I miss here.

Good luck on your scout here. Come visit and look around. The weather is much better here. I definitely don't miss living up there for that reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 06:30 PM

14 posts, read 19,669 times
Oh my gosh, thank you for the clarification beckycat - I totally did not realize that! (This reminds me of my struggle keeping my great-uncles straight, all of whom share the same names, but actually each go by another set of nicknames [also all the same set of three, sigh]).

My tickets are booked for GSP next weekend, woot!

Everyone keeps warning darkly about the heat and humidity in Greenville, but I'm like, "did you miss the part where I lived in Orlando for 12 years??" How much worse can it be? ( << usually, famous last words, lol.) Plus I'm wearing a bobble hat in my home office right now, it's that cold up here, and the idea of being in a steamy climate again is sounding pretty sweet.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:41 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
OP the house I was referring to in the Verdae area was an older ranch on Algonquin; I cannot find it listed so I don't have any other info, but it wasn't one of the newer, higher-priced homes.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:42 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I am familiar with Timmons Park. It is a nice area and good location as well. I didn't even know it had a name I just assumed it was part of Overbrook or Bob Jones.
Most people don’t but we are working to make a name for ourselves. We have an artist working with the city for signs in our neighborhood. We do work with Overbrook a lot for some events and have a good relationship with them

Old 01-07-2018, 07:25 PM

807 posts, read 689,828 times
Keep your eyes on areas surrounding historic mills. Even if the area looks rough, mills like these have become somewhat of a hot commodity for developers to buy and re-purpose. Renovated mills in the Charlotte area such as Atherton Mill in South End and Highland Mill in NoDa have seen explosive development in the surrounding areas. I realize that some of the growth was aided by the light rail construction through each neighborhood, but as of right now both South End and NoDa are HOT markets in Charlotte, and I think the mill renovations helped spur redevelopment in each area.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:29 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh, thank you for the clarification beckycat - I totally did not realize that! (This reminds me of my struggle keeping my great-uncles straight, all of whom share the same names, but actually each go by another set of nicknames [also all the same set of three, sigh]).

My tickets are booked for GSP next weekend, woot!

Everyone keeps warning darkly about the heat and humidity in Greenville, but I'm like, "did you miss the part where I lived in Orlando for 12 years??" How much worse can it be? ( << usually, famous last words, lol.) Plus I'm wearing a bobble hat in my home office right now, it's that cold up here, and the idea of being in a steamy climate again is sounding pretty sweet.
We came here from Lake Mary so if you lived in Orlando, the humidity is not near as bad. When people say it's so hot, I think it's not that bad. Although, it doesn't get near as cold here as up north, it still gets cold and I don't care for it. The cold bothers me way more. I'll take the heat any day!

Old 01-13-2018, 07:37 AM

201 posts, read 220,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Sullys is the best thing downtown tbh.
Those are fighting words lol
Yeah, Sully's Steamers and Greenfield's are both excellent, especially the former!!

Old 01-13-2018, 07:45 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Keep your eyes on areas surrounding historic mills. Even if the area looks rough, mills like these have become somewhat of a hot commodity for developers to buy and re-purpose. Renovated mills in the Charlotte area such as Atherton Mill in South End and Highland Mill in NoDa have seen explosive development in the surrounding areas. I realize that some of the growth was aided by the light rail construction through each neighborhood, but as of right now both South End and NoDa are HOT markets in Charlotte, and I think the mill renovations helped spur redevelopment in each area.

Certainly true in Spartanburg. The redevelopment of Drayton Mills is exciting.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:55 AM

14 posts, read 19,669 times
Hi everyone - I don't know that anyone will even see this now (aside from those folks in the future who will be doing their own research on Greenville - hi, people of the future!) but I wanted to close out my tale by saying I found and bought a house in Nicholtown. We're just shy of two miles to downtown, and very close to Cleveland Park.

I had an extensive list of homes prepped to view during my first IRL visit, and really liked the North Main area (as does everyone else, right?) but the house on offer there was not as good as the Nicholtown one.

Much of what I saw in Overbrook just felt too far from downtown for my urban-life-loving sweetie, and West Greenville (we looked at one place right by where the new park is going in) definitely appeared (at least, to my untrained eye) to be more sketchy than I would have wanted for us to occupy now.

The choice absolutely came down to the houses themselves, though - many were too near main roads (noise, bleah) or in super current rough shape and wouldn't even fit our needs in future fixed-up form (without say, putting on an entire addition).

And I have definitely been humbled in my idea to try to create a life in Greenville that relies heavily on a bike: those are some big hills there! My flat-land-Florida-living bum can't handle that kind of challenge (yet, anyway).

Thanks to everyone for their input - our entire home-search journey (which started with looking in the northeast, and ended with this Greenville home!) was heavily guided by forum users generous enough to share their suggestions and advice.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:34 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,687 times
Quote:
...I found and bought a house in Nicholtown...
IMO a great area of Greenville - property values in Nicholtown will explode in the next decade - any property in Nicholtown near Cleveland Park is in the process of gentrifying now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area