Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 06:40 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
That's kind of a strange comment given Asheville is known as a retirement city.

The median age in Greenville is 34.1. In Asheville the median age is 38.2 which is above the US average.

In my view, there is no reason a young person living in Greenville needs to drive to Asheville. Greenville is a larger metro and it has more than Asheville.
I have some younger acquaintances in my life who go to Asheville virtually every weekend (and some weekdays) for the younger, late-night, music-driven nightlife there that is virtually absent here.

The stats above tell you very little about how many 20-somethings live and play in Asheville. I believe the younger median age here in Greenville is due to the rather large population of small children, and the median age in Asheville is skewed because it's a retirement destination. But a median age is somewhat pointless in this discussion. You can have a lot of retirees and 20-somethings living in the same town, it's true.

If I lived in Greenville when I was 20, I'd be bored as heck and probably would have spent a ton of time in Asheville, or Atlanta, or the beach.

Last edited by Art123; 01-14-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 08:12 AM

132 posts, read 113,556 times
Not against moving to Asheville or even out by Summerville. I love Asheville. That’s how we found Greenville, from our visits to Asheville. We like the weather in Greenville better, the housing prices are better and I’m thinking the job market is better.

He may go back to a local community college once we move, I hope. He has such a tough time with school so it’s not his favorite. He has mentioned that he may go back. He went for a year and a half and didn’t do so well. I’m also hoping that he picks a different career than a cop. Not a good field to be in right now. I doubt he will as it’s in the blood, as they say.

We’ll be down in May again to look around staying both in Fletcher, NC and Greer, SC; I’m hoping he’ll be able to come with us.

If the Governor is able to pass his new bill - no state tax on pensions for Law Enforcement, Fire Fighters, Veterans, and First Responders then SC will be the no brainer.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:55 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I have some younger acquaintances in my life who go to Asheville virtually every weekend (and some weekdays) for the younger, late-night, music-driven nightlife there that is virtually absent here.

The stats above tell you very little about how many 20-somethings live and play in Asheville. I believe the younger median age here in Greenville is due to the rather large population of small children, and the median age in Asheville is skewed because it's a retirement destination. But a median age is somewhat pointless in this discussion. You can have a lot of retirees and 20-somethings living in the same town, it's true.

If I lived in Greenville when I was 20, I'd be bored as heck and probably would have spent a ton of time in Asheville, or Atlanta, or the beach.
I lived in Greenville in my 20's and I never went to Asheville and I never knew anybody that went to Asheville. I do not understand what you can do in Asheville that you can't do in Greenville. .

As far as I know the most unique thing about Asheville is the Friday night drum circle downtown, but you could probably participate in a drum circle in downtown Greenville if you wanted to. You might have to get a permit from the city. I'm not sure how that works.

I watched some clips on Youtube of Asheville drum circles and it did not look like a young crowd in general. I can't see average young person wanting to participate in a drum circle.

Greenville can land things like Dave and Busters, and TopGolf, and Apple, that Asheville can't. That is surprising if Asheville is really the hip place for young people and Greenville is a boring 'old' person city.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-14-2018 at 11:24 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Non religious and chacos = Asheville. There every time the church is open and boat shoes = Greenville.
There are religious and non religious people in both cities. It doesn't make sense to make generalizations about people living in cities. .

Old 01-14-2018, 11:54 AM

This website is a good source of information on things to do in Greenville:

https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/things-to-do/

Old 01-14-2018, 12:31 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
That's kind of a strange comment given Asheville is known as a retirement city.

The median age in Greenville is 34.1. In Asheville the median age is 38.2 which is above the US average.

In my view, there is no reason a young person living in Greenville needs to drive to Asheville. Greenville is a larger metro and it has more than Asheville.
My thoughts too. Unless they like a hippie vibe.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:40 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
I lived in Greenville in my 20's and I never went to Asheville and I never knew anybody that went to Asheville. I do not understand what you can do in Asheville that you can't do in Greenville. .

As far as I know the most unique thing about Asheville is the Friday night drum circle downtown, but you could probably participate in a drum circle in downtown Greenville if you wanted to. You might have to get a permit from the city. I'm not sure how that works.

I watched some clips on Youtube of Asheville drum circles and it did not look like a young crowd in general. I can't see average young person wanting to participate in a drum circle.

Greenville can land things like Dave and Busters, and TopGolf, and Apple, that Asheville can't. That is surprising if Asheville is really the hip place for young people and Greenville is a boring 'old' person city.
I agree here also. More options in Greenville. It's bigger. Sparetime is also under construction and looks like it'll be fun. I've never cared for Asheville. Too crunchy hippie vibe for me. If I was a big brewery person maybe so, but I only do that type of thing occasionally.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:23 PM

557 posts, read 864,297 times
Welcome to Greenville and don't worry about your son. He will find his way with or with out you. I commend him for wanting to be an officer. We have a number of police departments within Greenville County that he can apply for employment. Greenville has something for everyone and if you can't find it here you don't to go far to find it. So, Come on home and stop worrying so much. Y'all will be in the south now and can slow down, take a breath and relax some.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:48 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
Quote:
There are religious and non religious people in both cities. It doesn't make sense to make generalizations about people living in cities. .
Asheville is a blue area while Greenville is a very Red area. But as multiple posters after me have said, they weren't a big fan of the hippie vibe in Asheville. Generalizations are rooted in truth.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:51 PM

Your generalization wasn't rooted in truth.

There are religious people in Asheville. There are non-religious people in Greenville. That's the truth.

You stated:
'Non religious and chacos = Asheville. There every time the church is open and boat shoes = Greenville.'

I don't think the comments about 'hippie vibe' were related to religion.

I also think you conflate religion with politics. A person can vote 'red' and not be religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area